Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Patriot Community!

I am an excited potential Jeep buyer who is seeking the wisdom and sage advice of some of you old hat types.

The first question is rather general. My family seems to have some vendetta against Jeeps (and most American cars in general) because of a lack of quality, but I have long vowed be the one of the few from my clan to own something other than a beige or silver Camry or Corolla.

But in regards to quality, how are Jeeps? I always notice a lot of older ones on the road and figure the quality couldn't be too terrible. I understand that quality runs on an individual basis, but Jeep does seem to rank slightly lower more consistently in initial quality on JD Power, Consumer Reports, etc etc.

Second question is about price of a 2009 Patriot. I am cool with a FWD, Sport Package (I don't make enough for leather, and won't do much if any off roading) but it seems like the dealer listings (in Suburban Chicago) are widely varied. Some list as high as $19,000-$21,000 and I've seen them as cheap as $16,500.

What should I expect for a price? What should I be satisfied with?

The third question is strictly aesthetic. Please, please, please tell me I can get the upgraded wheel package in the Sport Edition. The standard wheels and tires on the Sport are nearly a deal breaker for me.

Thanks guys and gals! I look forward to conversing with you all!

·
All-around Good Guy
309 Posts
But in regards to quality, how are Jeeps?
My dad had 1988 Jeep Cherokee. At the end of 20 years, it had its flaws (chipped paint, radio didn't work, some electrical) but mostly those were due to old age. If you surf around the forums for awhile, you'll find some stories of water leaking in various places, (sunroof, rear dome light) but keep in mind that most of those were on the '07 and '08 models, and the Patriot has only been in existence for 3 years. There's going to be some problems, as with any new vehicle model. As a whole, I've found Jeeps to be very reliable. And with 3/36 on most everything, and a lifetime powertrain warranty, you're protected.

I would direct you to http://www.edmunds.com/jeep/patriot/2009/index.html#search=open.eq..amp.p.eq.cvehicledata%23%23-1%23%23-1~~f66||535556~~f13||2431352c303030202d202432352c303030~~f21||342063796c696e646572~~f20||46726f6e742d776865656c206472697665~~f85||35202d2037207365617473~~nf77||436f6d70616374

Price it out with the options you want, and look at the invoice price. Go to Jeep.com and find out what incentives are in place for your area, and start developing a reasonable price you want to pay. I was able to get a manual, 4x4 25E Sport for $20,000 out the door. Remember, a price you should be satisfied with is one you have no problems paying.

The third question is strictly aesthetic. Please, please, please tell me I can get the upgraded wheel package in the Sport Edition. The standard wheels and tires on the Sport are nearly a deal breaker for me.
Yes, it's called the "Tire and Wheel" group, and upgrades the tires from 16" to 17" and changes the rims.

Good luck, and welcome to the forums!

·
Level 3 Supporter
758 Posts
OK, I and many others will try to answer your Qs.

We will not fight a bias towards another type of vehicle. The only way to really compare is to test drive 2 or 3 separate vehicles that your research may have narrowed it down to.

Delete your consumer report . org bookmark, that place would not help you buy a fridge let alone a JEEP

You can order the tire and wheel group, check out the brochure for the three D/E/F trim levels.

Basically, build what you want on the jeep.com website then send that to four or five local dealers for their best price. Maybe there is an 08 available that you could get a great deal on.

There is a wealth of info here use the search function for :
brochure - http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8961
why people purchased
one two or three year reviews, etc

IT'S a JEEP thing:smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
77 Posts
An excellent source for info about a vehicle's quality is TrueDelta.com. Right now the Patriots are running at about average quality and it seems that most problems are new model teething issues with the '07/'08s. TrueDelta's info is the most up to date and they don't give you some BS, ambiguous red dot/black dot year old data with no explanation of what exactly the difference is between a red dot and black dot.

I have two Jeeps now. In January I picked up an 2009 Sport 4X4 with the CVT, the 26E package, and tire and wheel group for $19700 (plus tax). You can probably get a better deal than that now.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Wheel and tire group that include the aluminum 17" wheels is $590 MSRP and is available on both Sport D and E packages. The wheels are standard on the Limited, but tires are optional and included only with the off road package. Anyway, assuming you want the CVT and wheels, MSRP is $19.8k for the D package with no other options. E package includes the following for about $2100.

Height-Adjustable Driver's Seat
Passenger Assist Handles
All Season Front and Rear Floor Mats
Stain Repel Premium Cloth Bucket Seats
Deep Tint Sunscreen Glass
Power Fold-Away Mirrors
Power Windows with Driver's One-Touch-Down Feature
Speed-Sensitive Power Locks
Remote Keyless Entry
Illuminated Entry
Speed Control
Rear 60/40 Reclining and Folding Seat Backs
Front-Passenger Fold-Flat Seat Back
115-Volt Auxiliary Power Outlet
Interior Removable/Rechargeable LED Flashlight
Map/Dome Reading Lamps

I would not pay more than $4k lower than MSRP for such vehicle, plus sales tax, title and license fees.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Second question is about price of a 2009 Patriot. I am cool with a FWD, Sport Package (I don't make enough for leather, and won't do much if any off roading) but it seems like the dealer listings (in Suburban Chicago) are widely varied. Some list as high as $19,000-$21,000 and I've seen them as cheap as $16,500.

Thanks guys and gals! I look forward to conversing with you all!
Puppet, I can answer both of these questions having just purchased an 09 Patriot with the Tire and Wheel Group.

Here are the Specs on what I just got:

Jeep Patriot FWD (LHD)
Bright Silver Metallic Clear Coat Exterior
Dark Slate Gray Interior
2.4L 4-Cyl DOHC 16V Dual VVT Engine (172 hp)
CVTII w/AutoStick

Tire and Wheel Group
17'' x 6.5 Aluminum Wheels
P215/65R17 Outline White Letter All Terrain Tires

Out the door I was under 18K in the DC metro area. I would think that you should be able to get all you want for about that. The way that I made sure I saved money was to go the VERY LAST DAY of the "month" and get them when they needed only one or two more to get to their quota.

FYI...Jeep's "month" ends on the 31st this month, but "February" ended on March 2nd because if the month ends on the weekend they keep the "month" alive until end of business the following Monday.

MSRP on my Pat was 21,295 and I was under 18K (fairly close to 17K) out the door including tax, tags, fees, etc.

As for the tire and wheel part....get the 17'' tires, to me it makes it sit up just a bit higher and the ride feels much better.

·
POTM November 2008
8,921 Posts
Hello Patriot Community!

I am an excited potential Jeep buyer who is seeking the wisdom and sage advice of some of you old hat types.

The first question is rather general. My family seems to have some vendetta against Jeeps (and most American cars in general) because of a lack of quality, but I have long vowed be the one of the few from my clan to own something other than a beige or silver Camry or Corolla.
This just a preference. The advertising says it all, "There is only one Jeep" If you need a Jeep, nothing else will do. I totally understand. I would walk rather than be seen in or even near a Toyota sedan.

But in regards to quality, how are Jeeps? I always notice a lot of older ones on the road and figure the quality couldn't be too terrible. I understand that quality runs on an individual basis, but Jeep does seem to rank slightly lower more consistently in initial quality on JD Power, Consumer Reports, etc etc.
Most of us Jeep people, who have older Jeeps, keep them running forever. There are more more old Jeeps on the road than any other brand. I can't speak for the newer ones, but the old ones are built like a brick out house. Indestructible.

You will learn everything you need to know about the Patriot here. Ignore any other reports. We have Patriots and we use them daily. Automotive reviewers do not like Jeeps because they do not understand what Jeeps are for. A Jeep is a machine to get you through adverse driving conditions like snow or mud. It can also be driven on the road like a car. In a 4x2 configuration, they are great for hauling stuff. The problem is many people buy Jeeps expecting them to be comfortable and offer higher on road performance that they are not intended for. This is a utility vehicle. Not a car. Do you need a Jeep?

I'm no good at negotiating on price.
I can't help you there.

Yes you can add the wheel and tire package. Go to Jeep.com and do the build and price on exactly the Patriot you want.

·
Sept 2009 POTM
2,915 Posts
I'll just chime in on the quality. I think most here would say the quality is good, sturdy, typical Jeep. A few would say otherwise, but in general I think that is a small number.

The Patriot is a good solid Jeep. Nothing fancy.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Ummm... If you are unhappy with the wheels and/or tires that come with the vehicle, why not just get some aftermarket ones that you like? :confused: It's a Jeep - you're supposed to make it your own! ;) (And there should be people willing to buy the 16" wheels if you don't want to keep them. This web site would be a good place to sell them... ;) )

1 - 11 of 11 Posts