Jeep Patriot Forums banner

Plasti Dip steel wheel pictures...

18K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  lostvvorld 
#1 ·
Searched the forum for pictures of dipped steelies before doing mine but I guess most are buried in threads without tags. Do you have pictures of your dipped steelies installed with or without the plastic center caps? I'd like to see them.

I had planned on not installing the plastic caps, until I saw what I'd be exposing (I might still try it). I also looked on eBay for the Liberty center caps, but they all go for > $20. Do you think I'd find the Liberty ones in a junk yard? Would they fit without taking the dremel to them ?

See less See more
#6 ·
Looks great...makes me debate looking for a set of steelies to dip and use instead of my fancy 17's o_O

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com Free App

#7 ·
I wanna dip my wheels in some crazy color!! Looks good, props.

#8 ·
They have like bright orange and yellow etc nowadays haha look up PlastiDip products on this site: www.dipyourcar.com

#9 ·
I didn't want to take the extra step in taking the wheel off to dip them so I just sprayed the hub caps and trimmed off the spray from the little circle center cap leaving the only chrome visible. Only to find out that the stupid metal tabs that hold them on was the cause of excessive squeaking!! Very annoying and loud.
Soooooo I used traditional dip and put a nice thick coat on the tabs and now they don't squeak. Ahhhh what a relief!.
I'll post pics of mine when I get a chance to take a photo in daylight.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#10 ·
the stupid metal tabs that hold them on was the cause of excessive squeaking!! Very annoying and loud.
Soooooo I used traditional dip and put a nice thick coat on the tabs and now they don't squeak. Ahhhh what a relief!.
I've used electrical heat shrink to solve the annoying squeaking problem.

Nice job on the wheels. :smiley_thumbs_up:

#11 ·
So here's what the dipped steelies look like after a long, hard Canadian winter. They are OK from far away but not so much up-close.

They were plasti-dipped just before I put the winter tires on back in November.

And this is what happens when you don't park all the way at the end of the parking lot when you go shopping :doh:

#12 ·
Damn that sucks man :/ did you dip them before they mounted the tires? I'm sure that didn't help the edge of the rims. Maybe next time put a few more coats on? I am sure though that it'd be very hard to keep them looking very good with the Canadian winters as you already stated.

#13 ·
No, dipped them after the rubber was mounted.

Can't leave 'em this way so I'm thinking that if the dipp cleans off nice, their getting a couple coats of Bed-Liner.

The black didn't get old, I still like it and the Bed-Liner finish is really nice.

#14 ·
Ya, Kenny, up here the snow and ice gets plowed and it leaves ridges and ruts that are just like riding your rims up against a curb...unavoidable but hard on Dip.

Claude...you know you don't have to peel and start over, right?
Just clean them off, trim any loose bits and touch up the wrecked areas and then a total overcoat, you are good to go next winter.

edit to add: We cross posted...bedliner will do!

#15 ·
Have fun with it man, it should look sick! I like bed lined wheels :)

#16 ·
edit to add: We cross posted...bedliner will do!
And it's almost the same price, maybe slightly more expensive. Way more permanent.

Lets face it; the Patriot steelies are downright ugly wheels. But paint them black and put the Patriot beside any other car with the cheep black winter wheels and guess what, they look pretty darn sexy!

#18 · (Edited)
Installed my winter tires.

Decided to remove the Plasti-Dip and go commando. I even left out the little plastic caps, can't stand e'm... ugly little ^&%$rds!

Removing Plasti-Dip is easy on the flat surfaces, not no easy in the creases. Had to use the pressure washer to finish the job.

I did the Rejex yesterday, that stuff is awesome! That's why I've got the beads happening... I'd done the first coat at the end of June and I'd say it was time to apply another although you could still see some of the shine from it.

Fluid Filmed Steelies... Metaxa would be proud!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.