Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on getting a custom cold air intake done, and perhaps a full exhaust.

What are some successful mods that you guys have done to gain hp?

Thanks!

·
Registered
840 Posts
I haven't done them my self on this vehicle.... on a 72 chevy i have though and a 91 toyota 4x4 though.
1. larger intake (maybe 2-5hp more)
2. full exhaust maybe 5-10hp)
3. tuner/chip if made for your vehicle
4. manual transmission (hehe)
5.changing gear ration of differentials (to gain more torque)
couple other cant really think of it....:)

·
Registered
44 Posts
It will be difficult to get much HP/torque improvement out of these engines without a tuning device. A less restrictive cold air intake generally helps improve engine performance a small amount, but its real value is to increase airflow potential for other modifications like low restriction cat converters, low restriction cat-back exhaust, headers, performance cylinder head and cam upgrade.

The greatest impediment to performance is usually the catalytic converter...essentially, a honeycomb of special metals designed to heat up to terrific tempuratures to burn off imcompletely burned exhaust gasses. The cat makes your engine exhale thru a double handful of soda straws bundled together. High flow cats are better than stock for performance, but they generally set off the O2 sensor and your computer will complain.

Headers also help, but without a tune, you may cause yourself trouble by altering the air/fuel ratio, causing your engine to run too lean and possibly damage your engine.

High flow heads and more aggresive cam shaft is next, but again you need a tuner.

I believe the Caliber SRT parts fit this engine, but again you need a tune to get the most value and do it safely.

All these things that improve performance, generally reduce engine reliability... that is to say, cause premature part failure... sometime in spectacular fashion. They also make your engine louder.

Having said all this, nothing is impossible, just difficult and risky. I dont' know whether anyone has or will develop a tuner for these jeeps, but until they do, it will be difficult and risky to get the desired results.

·
Banned
859 Posts
I plan on putting a new exhaust, intake filter, and sprint module

·
Registered
6 Posts
Look up RennTech or Lorinzer on the 'net, they will have the goods. (Hint: nitrous and diesel don't mix well)
Source(s):
M/B parts advisor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts