Votes: 128 10.7%
  • Other

Votes: 67 5.6%

• Total voters
561 - 577 of 577 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
After a very heavy rain this spring, water began pouring out of the map light as I drove. The car is now back at the dealer for a third attempt at a repair, after two subsequent rain/leaking events.
Hey Jason31,

TSB 23-005-13 may relate to your vehicle:

SUBJECT:
Water Leaks At The Front And/Or Rear Roof Area
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves inspecting the front and/or rear of the headliner for dampness. If
necessary add additional seam sealer to the roof ditch and replacing the front and/or rear
sunroof drain tubes or grommets.
MODELS:
2007 - 2010 (MK) **Compass** / Patriot
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built before August 20,2010 (MDH0820XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Water leaks from the roof ditch and sunroof area.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dome light leakage -Dealership replaced the track and "roof gutter" by removing inside headliner and focusing on sunroof drainage spots. Sealed and replaced. No leaks after water pressure test and heavy rains

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nice storm last night. Nice pool of water in my '16 Pat this morning. Came in through the map lights. Looks like it pooled into the Nav unit and shorted that out as well.
Dropping it off at the dealer tomorrow for them to 'inspect' it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did not know this was a problem with these vehicles. However, I have a slightly used 2016, and I noticed the other day when I was cleaning it that the headliner appears to have water damage in the driver's side near the handle, and also near the tailgate dome light. I do not have a sunroof and have not noticed this previously. Going to keep an eye on it and make sure nothing continues. I'm hoping it is just damage from the previous owner and I never noticed it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have water leaking from the blower motor area, about an ounce during 30 minute commute. I believe the HVAC is clogged, judging from the fact that it's dry as a bone while sitting and even running while motionless. I got a couple sprinkles after about 20 minutes.

First dealer said it was probably a door seal leak, disregarding my HVAC suggestion, and said my door seal was degraded and replaced it. Claimed to have run it for an hour. They had it all day and did nothing else to it. I drove it home and same leak. It's currently at a different dealer that I've used in the past, and I stressed twice to check the HVAC drain. I don't have a sunroof and as I said, it doesn't leak even with downpours.

Edit: the AC lines were clogged with gunk and it was pooling by the blower motor causing the intermittent leak. Feels good to be right!

My '08 Patriot had the infamous rear dome light leak, fixed it with silicone sealant at the wiper hose.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Leak dripping water onto my gas pedal foot piping hot water! Both sides passenger is getting dripped on, too. I can hear sloshing noise. No sunroof, just raining hard and parked under carport not freezing weather this week just using heater and fan to clear windshield moisture. Last month the dealer said he would clear out the drain holes underside. The HVAC post could help me? My map light is dry. Engine is dry. I do have mud flaps that I put on 2008. Roof rack. 2nd windshield. 130K. First 2008 model 4x4 stick shift. Ideas are welcome.

·
Super Moderator
4,615 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
rear water leaks resolved!!!

Heres how i fixed rear water leaks in my patriot :

rather than going into to much detail i will explain what I did here for the following:
1;rear third brake light had water inside
2;water found in spare wheel well under spare tire
3; leaking above the rear dome light

fix:
1; take off 3rd brake light housing and put i tiny continuous bead of black rtv all the way around the housing where the seal is; reinstall brake light housing to spec
2; put a bead of black rtv sealant around the black plug located in the center and on top of the rear area after opening the rear hatch( you will see it is is round and looks like a plastic cap)
3;put some black rtv to seal the wiper spray hose(rear) to seal that up. it is located to the right of the black cap you just sealed up.

all those points mentioned completely resolved my water leaks for the last 8 months so far. dry as a bone

hopefully that helps someone on here as this is problem that can really aggrivate your soul.:smile2:

·
Registered
11 Posts
G'day All,

My 2015 Patriot leaks, can't find where, the water congregates in the rear passenger side foot well. No visual signs at where the water is coming in?

MikeyAus069

·
Super Moderator
4,615 Posts
G'day All,

My 2015 Patriot leaks, can't find where, the water congregates in the rear passenger side foot well. No visual signs at where the water is coming in?

MikeyAus069
Do you have a sunroof? If so sometimes the drain lines can get clogged or have a kink in them.

Could also be the back body plugs, or rear window washer hose grommet:

There could also be a problem with the body seam in the roof ditch.

Here's a leak detection guide that might help:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just noticed my 2nd leak in my 2009 today. We have had a steady rain today and the passenger's side front floorboard is soaked. At this time I really don't have any idea where it is coming from except that the trim at the bottom of the door is wet also.
I just noticed my 2nd leak in my 2009 today. We have had a steady rain today and the passenger's side front floorboard is soaked. At this time I really don't have any idea where it is coming from except that the trim at the bottom of the door is wet also.
I have the same situation and removed the trim and carpet and saw water line coming from doorpost, going to water hose windshield post and drain to see how is getting into the door frame.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife and I have matching Patriots. Hers is a 15 and mine is a 16. Both Latitude 4X4s

The 15 does not have sunroof but water leaked in around driver floorboard. At first I thought it was the A/C drain tube which I found out to be behind the carpet by the gas pedal. But after making sure it was fully pushed through the fire wall, water kept coming in after car washes or rain.
Since it was new, I took it to the dealer who had a contracted leak repairman come onto the lot and he found that seams in the under fire wall weren't sealed properly.

Since then I thought it was fixed, no more leaks.. until I installed name brand (which I won't mention) floor pans mats. Later on in the winter season, we had a lot of snow. While cleaning out her Jeep one day, I pulled the pans out to vacuum and found the carpet completely soaked again. I blotted up most of the water with towels and left a thin towel under the pan to pick the rest. The we had more snow that week.

The floor was still wet when I checked it again a few days later, so I left the pan out and put a rubber mat is instead and told the little woman to knock the snow off her boots before getting in. After a week, the carpet was bone dry even though we had rain and snow through that week.
I concluded that the wife was driving with snow on her shoes and her left foot was over the anchor hole in the pan.

Since then, the pan is back in and she makes sure she knocks excess snow off her boots doesn't rest her foot over the anchor hole. It been completely dry ever since.

My 16 Patriot has a sun roof and to date has never leaked inside floor the head liner. I do check the drain lines and run a piece of sting trimmer line (CAREFULLY) down each side to make sure they are not clogged. I watched a couple of you tube videos that show how the drain lines are routed.

We love our Patriots and I can't imagine not having them. I bought two because my wife would refuse to drive my Jeep because she said she was not comfortable driving a different vehicle. She has no excuse now.😁😁😂😂

561 - 577 of 577 Posts