Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the things I'm really looking forward to when I collect my patriot tomorrow is its ability to tackle standing water competently and a hell of a lot better than my Boxster!

I have a few questions though. When approaching standing water that most other cars would drive around to avoid...

*Will the Pat still aquaplane like any other car?

*Is it prudent to engage 4WD or is 2WD sufficient if you're passing through at speed?

*To what extent is the PAT water-tight? I've seen a few US vids of it moving through pretty deep water but I would rather be sure of its capabilities before taking it through anything that most other cars would find another way around!

Can you tell this is my first 4x4? lol

Thanks in advance,

Martin

·
Off Road Enthusiast
1,391 Posts
Oh, my...

First rule, slow and steady - ask Dadunkindude who had his engine waterlogged at 4k miles and replaced.

Second, non-FDII models lack extra water seals and protection that allow the FDII to ford up to 19" of water - but no matter the depth, rule one applies.

Every vehicle can/will hydroplane - mostly due to tires, but even the best tires can do it - this is a light vehicle.

General rule of thumb, if others are going around standing water on-road, you might wan to too! Maybe those ahead of you already saw a vehicle disappear into the sink-hole.

Good luck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice so far guys. Any other info would be much appreciated.

Martin

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
One of the things I'm really looking forward to when I collect my patriot tomorrow is its ability to tackle standing water competently and a hell of a lot better than my Boxster!

I have a few questions though. When approaching standing water that most other cars would drive around to avoid...

*Will the Pat still aquaplane like any other car?

*Is it prudent to engage 4WD or is 2WD sufficient if you're passing through at speed?

*To what extent is the PAT water-tight? I've seen a few US vids of it moving through pretty deep water but I would rather be sure of its capabilities before taking it through anything that most other cars would find another way around!

Can you tell this is my first 4x4? lol

Thanks in advance,

Martin
Exactly how fast do you plan to approach said "standing water"? If you're bashing a puddle at freeway speed, you're PROBABLY GOING to hydroplane, regardless of what kind of vehicle you're in.

If you're looking at pushing thru at 10-20mph, you're still asking too much. You likely won't hydroplane, but upon entering deep-enough pool of water, you set up a wave in front of the vehicle. The air intake is just above the radiator on the driver's side; a large-enough wave could certainly cause the intake to ingest water.

You best bet is to crawl thru, no more than 5-10mph, and enjoy the extra clearance vs. you old Boxter.

If you're passing thru standing water on the street, 4WD won't make much of a difference. 4WD *will* help you churn thru a mud hole, though.

Enjoy your Pat, on-road and off; but don't think for a minute that what you're buying is an off-road rig. The Patriot's off-road abiltity will surprise people who didn't expect much, but will probably disappoint those who go in thinking they're going to tackle anything at all.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the reply....I hear what you're saying and will keep it in mind! My 34 mile round trip to and from work today was a delight! Averaging between 26 and 28 at present but I'm hoping that will improve as the miles go on! Collecting my upgraded bulbs tomorrow morning as I missed the post today, so will be interested to see how muh of a difference they actually make!

Martin

·
Registered
241 Posts
Pretty water tight on the bottom, it's the top you have to worry about!

·
Fiat Cherokar
3,098 Posts
FWIW there was a huge storm where i live this past summer, and it flooded nearly every road in the city. I was called to work (2 hours outside the city) and I NEEDED to get to work, every which was I went found flooded cars and streets, while I managed to get out I did go through water roughly 2ft deep (24") yes above the safe limit, and while I wouldn't do it again I went nice and slow and didn't stop, and made it through safely. Not saying the Pat is good for water that deep but I did make it,

·
Fiat Cherokar
3,098 Posts
I had the territory's on so i would be about 3/4 of an inch taller than stock

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Been through a good few flooded areas in and around Glasgow so far....all below the ground clearance level but I passed through at around 20mph and whilst theres a lot of splash....it's all good! Loving the Pat in this weather so far!

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
I had my FDII off road about a year ago in water and sand and had no problem with leaks, and at times the water was almost half way up the door. In the front while going in to the water the it came up to about 1/2 way up the grill. The only problem was horn died, but that was no loss considering the way it sounds ;). Got it replaced though under for free.
Just put up a few pics showing it :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts