Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, I was at my dealer for an oil change. My Patriot has about 20 000km (12500 miles). The dealer recommended that I do a brake inspection. When he called me back, he told me that the wear on the front brake was only at 20% and the wear on the rear brake was only 50%. He told me that everything is perfectly normal. I have a hard time believing this! I have always heard that you change your front brakes twice for every time that you change your one rear brakes. For your information, I have a FWD Patriot with manual transmission. The rear brakes are drums.

Can someone help me and tell me if this is normal and if your brake wear is similar?

Thanks a lot!

Jayson

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
Maybe he was a little tongue tied and said it backwards. If the rear brakes are drums, then they are different types of brakes than are in the front anyways, so who knows how they will wear proportionally to the front discs.

I have a 2088 Scion xB 5-speed. At 61,000 miles I have 40% wear in the front, and 20% in the rear (4 wheel discs).

·
Registered
12,876 Posts
I have a Chevy Tracker that has front discs and rear drums. I have 190,000 miles on it, and the front brakes have been changed twice, but the rears are still original.

My Patriot has 60K miles on it, and the brakes are still only less than 50% worn all around, but mine has 4 wheel discs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe he was a little tongue tied and said it backwards. If the rear brakes are drums, then they are different types of brakes than are in the front anyways, so who knows how they will wear proportionally to the front discs.

I have a 2088 Scion xB 5-speed. At 61,000 miles I have 40% wear in the front, and 20% in the rear (4 wheel discs).
The dealer re-confirmed me that it was 20% front , 50% rear. I was also with the idea he make a mistake, but no.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've got 41k miles on my 3 year old. I got new rear pads and discs at around 36k but am still on the original front breaks. The breaking system on mine is listed as Four-wheel disc, hydraulic, power assisted, 29.4 cm vented front/30.2 solid rear. (means nothing to me). I had them check the front breaks at the time and assumed that they would probably recomend changing whether I needed it or not so was surprised when the mechanic said the front ones were in good condition.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
you must be driving backwards then,or he got the car backwards on the elevators!!!! he he he.
seriously now,first time i hear something like this.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Do you have ABS? It is possible that the shoes were mechanically adjusted too tight at the factory and dragged for awhile.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Your vehicle uses Electronic Variable Brake Proportioning (EVBP) to balance front-to-rear braking when the brakes are applied in the partial braking range. That component may be malfunctioning and causing the odd wear.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Also, the EVBP is used in place of a rear proportioning valve. The braking force of the rear wheels is controlled electronically by using the inlet and outlet valves located in the Integrated Control Unit (ICU).

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have front and rear disks on my '07 Patriot Sport. The brakes and rotors failed suddenly at 32- 33K miles. No squeals of pending doom from front pad wear indicators. The dealer said the rotors couldn't be turned. Even though they had never been re-machined. What's unusual, is that the outboard pads had a goo 1/4" left on them. The inboard rotors were down to metal. How is that possible with a "floating" caliper? What's stranger, is I had several safety inspections by Jeep and an independent shop in the proceeding three months, and was told my brakes were fine. Why did the brakes suddenly burn out? I suspect the traction control. A day before the failures I was driving home when the car started bouncing as if going over railroad ties. A repetitive pounding. I thought I had a flat tire, but my tires and pressure was fine. I had no buildup of ice in the wheels, and the road was smooth. I suspect the traction control malfunctioned and was applying and releasing the brakes repeatedly while I was driving.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I suspect the traction control malfunctioned and was applying and releasing the brakes repeatedly while I was driving.
Even if this occurred, the caliper does float so the pad wear should be somewhat equal. The prior inspection was probably a look at the outer pads only - so the guess was that the inner was ok too. Many manufacturers advise replacement of rotors instead of turning (per the old days). The uneven pad wear is caused by the movement of the pad against the pad carrier. Synthetic brake grease at these areas should solve the issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2010 patriot brake problems

i bought the car in 12/10. its the 2.4/5spd. shortly after picking it up, i notice rr brake noise. a grinding like the shoes were rubbing.. 1st return to dealer,couldnt find a problem!! so,i took it back. they adjusted the brakes.. worked for a few days. ***:confused: the other day i was backing my boat downhill. so i put it in neutral, & preceded to apply the brakes. in doing so i noticed, when i released the brakes they continued to hold for a few seconds? anyone have any ideal what causes this? love the car,but getting the tired of the problems..

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
...the other day i was backing my boat downhill. so i put it in neutral, & preceded to apply the brakes. in doing so i noticed, when i released the brakes they continued to hold for a few seconds? anyone have any ideal what causes this? love the car,but getting tired of the problems.....
The brakes hold for a few seconds until you apply throttle. It's called Hill Start Assist. It comes on FDII and manual trannys to help hold you on an incline until you can hit the gas

·
Registered
231 Posts
I bought my 09 new 3 years I had to replace the left rear outer break pad the only one worn down...i replaced them all now 6 months later i notice what sounds like worn break...and the left rear outer bad was bare metal no pad left at all.... 1 wheel 1 pad less then 6 months all other pads just fine all original no lifts normal size tires...any advice??

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have front and rear disks on my '07 Patriot Sport. The brakes and rotors failed suddenly at 32- 33K miles. No squeals of pending doom from front pad wear indicators. The dealer said the rotors couldn't be turned. Even though they had never been re-machined. What's unusual, is that the outboard pads had a goo 1/4" left on them. The inboard rotors were down to metal. How is that possible with a "floating" caliper? What's stranger, is I had several safety inspections by Jeep and an independent shop in the proceeding three months, and was told my brakes were fine. Why did the brakes suddenly burn out? I suspect the traction control. A day before the failures I was driving home when the car started bouncing as if going over railroad ties. A repetitive pounding. I thought I had a flat tire, but my tires and pressure was fine. I had no buildup of ice in the wheels, and the road was smooth. I suspect the traction control malfunctioned and was applying and releasing the brakes repeatedly while I was driving.
Mine is almost as bad.just replaced two wheel bearings within a month apart. horn went and the new one sounds like a sick cow
ball joints 3x now front calipers roters,control arms 2x cross member (warranty) thank god
Now I get a ticking sound from the right rear when I curve left or the car weight is on the right..i fear it is a cv joint I was told the lifetime power train warranty is intact ill call tomorrow ..the rear brakes never worked right inner pads wear within months the outer ones seem to not even be making contact show rust so new roters and brakes again dealer lubes them every time my average cost is 550$ EVERY TIME I take it in for something. did the brakes myself this time no issues on the front so the back is next.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts