Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Of course I have a set of new Yokohama Geolander I/T's. But when you go from a Ford Focus with Hankook Ipikes to the pat.... it's still night and day.

When you have a bmw 325 with hazards on in front of you sliding everywhere and you even see a dodge nitro 4x4 with stock tires on sliding around, or even an awd volvo s80 sluggishly getting up an overpass with tires spinning like crazy and you plow right past them with ease... you get a huge smile on your face. :Racing:

Now I'm not getting over confident, its just an awesome machine with an excellent 4x4 system.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Going is half the equation

Remember to keep your speed under wraps because stopping and turning are the rest of the equation...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Indeed you are correct Tomcat. I'm an aggressive driver but a smart one. I know my limits so I don't worry much about my driving abilities with stopping and turning. You know the signs if you've grown up in the snow. I'm no STI racer boy that you see everywhere getting too cocky and running everyone off the road. :)

If I didn't have the snow tires, I'm sure I wouldn't have had the same results. Safety is one of the big reasons why I bought the pat.

Was just impressed with its ability to go... and stop ;) in the snow/icy conditions. lastnight.

·
Senior member/Jan09 POTM
1,474 Posts
Starting a second winter with the Patriot 4X4 Freedom I on Toyo observe G-02 Plus / 215 65 17 great winter tires. As for security, capabilities, performance, comfort, driving pleasure, I love it! I'm 100% with you Limitlessborders.

BTW Don't forget the windshield wipers get the ones for winter Steel structure covered with rubber boot (protection again snow and ice). Blades are bigger and stronger for snow and ice How many people here change wipers like they change tires?

If adherence is important, what about visibility? Will let you know what I'll buy might be Anco winter blades 20 inches X2 . Low price, good deal for one season or two.

Will be checking rain wipers (21 inches) next spring.

L

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
agree

Going is half the equation

Remember to keep your speed under wraps because stopping and turning are the rest of the equation...
i learned on my cherokee sport,
was great in wet and snow,
was never stuck, pull out of just about anything,
even went through my +200' driveway in upstate NY, snow was over the bumber, and blowing over the hood,
didnt matter, plowed right through,
Yet when it came to stop, different story, 4x4 doesnt help,
skidding and sliding like the rest,

·
Sept 2009 POTM
2,915 Posts
You can't deny the physics, no matter how hard you try.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
More often than not, it is the agressive drivers, who think they know their abilities, that end up in the ditch--or worse. Being on the road all day long in my Jeep to my company truck, it is amazing to see how some people think they can outsmart nature. It just ain't gonna happen . . . It's hard enough when you're a defensive driver not to get involved in accidents.

·
Registered
50 Posts
4x4does help in stopping giving one more control. When icy I lock the Pat in 4x4 and decelerate using the engine and down shifting. More control than just the front wheels grabbing and brakes. Used this technique in 4x4's for 40 years. I may not stop any faster but have a lot more control than just 2 wheel and brakes.

I do not like ABS brakes. I seem to notice stopping takes longer when the ABS cuts in. Ever notice when coming to a nice even stop and you have judged your stopping distance then the ABS cuts in and it feels like you have stepped on the gas instead of the brake. I have confirmed this by using the ABS on my truck then pulling the fuse and stopping on the same patch of road. I did stop faster without ABS. Now yes ABS will let you possibly steer out of a situation but honestly the vast majority is stopping is straight ahead and because of traffic and islands there is no where to steer to anyhow. That has been my observation.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I love it when you just get on to talk about the excitement of the pat in the snow and it turns into a conversation about stopping. I guess it's my choice of words (plow, aggressive, sti, unitard). Now I understand where the path is being lead from but geez come on haha. Glass is half full. Of what... you decide.

I should have just said. PAT + SNOW = YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
You could have 50 driven wheels on your vehicle, but ice does not care(not that it could I suppose). My wife was driving the Pat yesterday and nearly was in an accident when she attempted to stop at a stop sign and slid through it. Had she left home a few seconds earlier she probably would have t-boned the car that went through the 4 way stop intersection before her. It does not take but logic to realize that 4 wheel drive is advantageous in winter driving conditions. Keeping the wheels from spinning in slippery conditions is a given with our 4X4's, but stopping on a sheet of ice is different. Every year since I have driven winters here in the midwest I have noticed something. In the most treacherous conditions(ice, snow, wind, sleet) I am extra cautious and easy on the throttle and brakes. But as I drive down interstates during this time of year, I see more "SUVs" and 4x4's in ditches than sedans or sports cars.

I guess overall, it is your car you are free to drive it as you choose in whatever weather you choose. However, do not put other people at risk because you think your vehicle is equipped to overcome the elements.

Sorry to sound like a preacher, but in Chicago and the outlying suburbs, people seem to think their vehicle can overcome physics, nature, logic, reason, and in the case of some sports cars-lack of manhood....lol

·
Registered
1,550 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
I do not like ABS brakes. I seem to notice stopping takes longer when the ABS cuts in. Ever notice when coming to a nice even stop and you have judged your stopping distance then the ABS cuts in and it feels like you have stepped on the gas instead of the brake. I have confirmed this by using the ABS on my truck then pulling the fuse and stopping on the same patch of road. I did stop faster without ABS. Now yes ABS will let you possibly steer out of a situation but honestly the vast majority is stopping is straight ahead and because of traffic and islands there is no where to steer to anyhow. That has been my observation.

There have been some threads about the ABS. I have found them to be a little too sensitive in some situations. I find that if the ABS kicks in at low speed and is sending me into an intersection I just let off the brakes and apply them again. It seems like once the ABS is on, it doesn't stop easily. If you let off the break a little and reapply, then the ABS doesn't kick back on, where as the ABS would have stayed on the whole time if you didn't let up. And yes I know with ABS you are not supposed to pump the breaks, but in this specific situation it has worked for me.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
The Danger

No doubt about it, the Patriot is a GREAT Jeep on ice and snow.

This is both a blessing and a curse.

When you have a car which does so well, you always have the temptation to drive ever more aggressively. So aggressively, in fact, that you overdrive your stopping ability.

The astute driver should always be aware of this, and not listen to the siren call of thinking his car is invincible.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
But JamesNewJeep I hear ya. I'm Glad your wife is okay. That is very scary to think of. But no worries about preaching. Many people need to be preached to. It's not till something happens to them that they realize that they need to take it easy. Like the Tracker I saw this morning that had slid off the highway and rolled.

I've already learned my lesson with ice and stopping. I was in no accident but drove past too many accidents from such drivers. The one night it went from slush to ice in minutes... it was crazy, drove past a rolled Explorer, even saw an s-10 slide off the highway hit a bank and the rear end lifted up on it. Crazy thing was, was that I was only 15 and had my permit. Talk about a great intro to winter driving course.

Or even... anyone from the mountains will know. I was introduced to my first blizzard driving through Idaho and CO where they shut the highway down it was nuts. I've never in my life seen so many cars in the ditches, let alone semi's.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can't wait for more snow though. Excited to play in the snow. Luckly the rents have enough land to legally drive in fields.

We used to do the same with my brothers off road truck. Now talk about Safety haha, we would tie a ski rope to the back of it and snow board. The fastest we could go was about 50mph before we would reach the end of the field. But crazy fun on the board.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
we would tie a ski rope to the back of it and snow board. The fastest we could go was about 50mph before we would reach the end of the field. But crazy fun on the board.
Hey, we used to kneeboard behind snowmobiles.... One of my jackass friends even took it across the middle of the river... Ice....open water....ice.... a gentle turn, and back again: Both kneeboarder and snowmobile.

Ah to be young and bulletproof again. Could have turned out quite differently. :doh:

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Yoko Geolandar I/T's: Good tires.

Of course I have a set of new Yokohama Geolander I/T's. But when you go from a Ford Focus with Hankook Ipikes to the pat.... it's still night and day..
I also have the Yokohama Geolandar winters.. Awesome tires, would buy them again. Amazing snow grip, and excellent ice grip. Quiet and no noticible gas mileage delta from my Wrangler SR-A's. :smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I love it when you just get on to talk about the excitement of the pat in the snow and it turns into a conversation about stopping.
I noticed the same. What, a guy can't be excited about the capabilities of his excellent winter vehicle without a safety lecture anymore? Sounds like some people need to go play in the snow a bit more... :)

PAT + SNOW = YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HELL YEAH! :D (Well, actually, it's Patriot + snow + good tires... But, yeah. :) )

·
Registered
31 Posts
Pat is great in the snow. lots of it up here. We got about 15" on wednesday, took the dog for a run on the bush road ( first one in) 2 big hills, and never had to use 4X4. I really wanted to, but never came close to needing it. By the way I have 205-16 Goodyear m&s that are 2 years old, Cant wait to next year when I can buy a real set of winters! Haters be dammed, this is a better winter vehicle than my Z71.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts