Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 patriot and have been having issues with an intermittent parasitic draw ever since freezing weather has started. I have tried multiple batteries and still have the same problem. The voltage will drop in the battery overnight for 2 to 3 days until it is dead. The alternator is putting 14.8 volts but it drains down whether we are driving it or not. When I check for the draw I get between 20 and 40 milliamp's when the vehicle is turned off. I finally took it to a local shop and they told me they didn't see a draw so there was no way to find it. Does anyone have any ideas on where I could start looking. We bought it last year and there has always been a hesitation after turning the ignition key and we did have an issue where here and there it would do nothing when you turned the ignition and you would have to take the key out and retry multiple times before it would start. I am considering starting by checking the ignition relay box but am really just guessing at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
7,905 Posts
I had a parasitic power draw that was traced to a bad spot in the engine harness directly below the battery.

·
7,905 Posts
It was the bad spot in the wiring that kept the ignition permanently on, even though the key was off. My clue was that the interior lights wouldn't stay on automatically, they'd go off in only a few seconds

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked tonight and my interior lights stay on for a while. I am not ruling out the wiring harness.Thanks for you input hopefully I get lucky and find something that stands out.

·
Super Moderator
4,615 Posts
I'm not sure how you were measuring the 20-40mA draw, but you might try measuring the current draw through each fuse to see if you could narrow it down to a certain circuit or two.

Below is from the 2014 manual:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was measuring the draw by removing the negative battery terminal and using my multimeter by touching the battery terminal and the battery post. I am not great with tracing electrical stuff. My meter showed .02 draw to .04 I was hoping to see more than that so I could start pulling fuzes and find where the draw was coming from but everything I have read said the 20 to 40 was normal. I am not sure that I am right though. When I took it to my local shop they said they couldn't find a draw and that I had a bad battery but this is the second new battery. I left the battery out for 3 days and it didnt drain at all as soon as I put the battery back in it went from 12.75 on day one to 12.44 on day two to 12.25 on day three so I am pretty confident I have a draw but cant see a heavy draw when i test. I am not sure how to test each fuse. If you have an guidance I would greatly appreciate it. thanks

·
Registered
185 Posts
You can test the individual fuses (or circuits) the same way you tested the battery. Just pull the fuses out one by one and connect your multi meter to it each side of the fuse holder.

You can also buy a 12v circuit draw tester. There only about 20 bucks.

Do you have ANY aftermarket electronics installed on the patriot? stereo, lights, phone charger, alarm?

A temporary fix might be to remove one battery cable at night until you can track down the problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info. I will use the multi meter and start testing fuses and see if I can find anything. I did have an aftermarket stereo that I installed about 4 months ago but I already pulled it out a couple of weeks ago thinking it might have been the cause.I have been pulling the battery cable's just to get us by. I actually need to get out there and unhook them now. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally found the issue after it sat at the dealer for 3 weeks and they couldn't find it. I started trying everything. It was the Uconnect module. I unhooked it and no more problems. Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry it has taken so long to get back. The Uconnect module is located behind the glove box. You just pull the glove box down and look to the right. It is mounted on the body along the passenger side. It stands out because it has a Bluetooth symbol on it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts