Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
2.4L, 5 spd manual transmission 4x2. Jeep Patriot North. Disc in front, drum brakes in the back.
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Newbie Questions again,

After I removed the neg cable from my new hi CC battery to check for amperage I accidentally touched the pos+ test to the neg- battery pole instead of the cable. It sparked. (Neg- test to Pos+ pole)

Did I blow the current test circuitry in my multimeter? (Innova 3300) It still measure voltage ok though.

I couldn't see any current reading on any scale on the amp side.

Idling my alternator is charging my battery at 14.xx volts. Turned off, battery shows 12.5V-12.8V

Thanks folks.

Registered
Newbie Questions again,

After I removed the neg cable from my new hi CC battery to check for amperage I accidentally touched the pos+ test to the neg- battery pole instead of the cable. It sparked. (Neg- test to Pos+ pole)

Did I blow the current test circuitry in my multimeter? (Innova 3300) It still measure voltage ok though.

I couldn't see any current reading on any scale on the amp side.

Idling my alternator is charging my battery at 14.xx volts. Turned off, battery shows 12.5V-12.8V

Thanks folks.
Yeah done that a few times 馃ぃ it sucks.
Most multimeters will have a replaceable fuse. Mine has a 10amp and a 0.5 amp one.

Reactions: theGarinator

Registered
2.4L, 5 spd manual transmission 4x2. Jeep Patriot North. Disc in front, drum brakes in the back.
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
@trialsstar3

Thanks. I opened and checked for fuse. There is one, but it's not blown.
Maybe the current is so low, the unit isn't picking it up. 3 DCA settings, 200m, 20m 2000uA. Fuse=315mA/250v. Maybe I need a MM with a 10mA setting to detect?

Registered
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Strange, what size fuse is it?
Fuse=315mA/250v.

Oh, the 10A plug is separate red socket, the V-R and -mA are on the same red socket.

I had the red lead plugged into the 10A socket. MM is probably good then? I'll try it again on the battery. Thanks, @trialsstar3. This is an Innova 3300 multimeter.

Registered
"A standard 350mA fuse protects the main circuitry. Although it has a DC 10A range, be aware that if measuring these high current energies, it should only ever be for short bursts. This multimeter does not have the necessary input protection for sustained high amperage."

Ahh it would appear you may have toasted it my friend.. 馃憥

Registered
I'd go ahead and say your battery is bad under load.... Multimeter testing may indeed show good voltage. I have quite a high draw on my Jeep with it running an Android head unit that sits in stand by when the vehicle is off. Never had a problem with starting since replacing the battery. Before this I had a battery that measured voltage all ok and a draw of about 600ma but wouldn't last the night and start the vehicle nin the morning... Spending a long time tracing my so-called parasitic draw resulted in no faults found... New battery and even higher draw it's all ok..

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
I'd go ahead and say your battery is bad under load.... Multimeter testing may indeed show good voltage. I have quite a high draw on my Jeep with it running an Android head unit that sits in stand by when the vehicle is off. Never had a problem with starting since replacing the battery. Before this I had a battery that measured voltage all ok and a draw of about 600ma but wouldn't last the night and start the vehicle nin the morning... Spending a long time tracing my so-called parasitic draw resulted in no faults found... New battery and even higher draw it's all ok..
Brand spanking new high CC battery.
Twice I woke up to a drained battery, but I had a habit of leaving the fan and heater turned on after I shut the car down.

Took the car for a half hour hwy drive. Now I make sure all my accessories are turned off or zero'd and my Pat has been starting fine since. I keep the battery wrapped in one of those plugged in battery warmer sleeves.

Thanks for all the feeback!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts