Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 Jeep Patriot 4x4 sport 2.4l 4 cyl
161,xxx miles

Hey everybody, I got a lot to tell, so to start I did an oil and filter change because I was due for one and I was going on a small day trip with my friends around 400 miles. I realized I accidentally overfilled my oil after stalling while at a complete stop twice and getting an oil light after the second stall. I drained easily enough oil from my patriot after the second stall. Everything was fine then and I headed home for the day and about halfway into the 2-hour drive home my car went into limp mode and had to get it towed the rest of the way home. After I got home got some crankshaft sensor engine codes, among others. Decided to try and change my spark plugs because I have no clue how old they were and the car wouldn't even start anymore. After changing my crankshaft sensor the car started to run like normal, and all the codes were clear except a new P0301 code. I didn't have this code before, just P0300. Ever since replacing the crankshaft sensor, this is the only code I've gotten. It takes about a minute of driving around or revving at 2k rpm while in park to get the engine to fail and start misfiring/shuddering nonstop, but I will get a flashing engine light or a solid one before the engine actually has performance issues. After the engine starts failing it shudders at low speeds and accelerating at low speeds, as well as in park. After getting the RPMs up it seems to smooth out, but it still doesn't accelerate properly and I can't get it to 40mph without a lot of work. There has been a bunch of things I have tested so here they are.

-replaced all four spark plugs
-replaced crankshaft position sensor
-swapped coil packs
-swapped fuel injectors
-replaced the air filter
-replaced o2 sensor
-tested the resistance and voltage on the fuel injectors
-tested the resistance and voltage on the coil packs
-down a vacuum leak test by spraying carb cleaning all over the tubes
-cleaned the throttle body
-did a compression test, all were between 200-215
-contacted a live chat mechanic who suggested switching the ground pins of injector 1/2
as a PCM test. This did not cause cylinder 2 to misfire. Meaning that the PCM should be functioning properly.
-put fuel additives and cleaner into the fuel tank
-No rotten egg smell from the exhaust/no smoke from exhaust/no metal rattling sound, indicating the cat converter is likely fine

Additionally, I was able to replicate the problem by removing the connector to the cylinder 1 fuel injector before the engine started to fail. If I removed the cylinder 1 fuel injector connector after the engine already started to fail/shudder then nothing happens. But the removal of the other 3 fuel injectors one at a time makes engine performance noticeably worse even with it already failing/shuddering.

One of the most confusing things is that it functions properly for a little bit before failing and every time I restart it, the engine works like new until a minute passes and it fails again.

Doing a leak-down test tomorrow, as suggested by the online mechanic, so I will keep you guys updated. As far as I know, I've checked everything else it could be to my knowledge. I'm at the end of the line and would prefer not to take it to a mechanic so they can test everything I've already done.

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
1,493 Posts
A Random Misfire code - P0300, can be caused by a bad cam sensor. Since the Patriot engine has variable valve timing, and the problem started after you over-filled the oil, I think I'd start looking there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A Random Misfire code - P0300, can be caused by a bad cam sensor. Since the Patriot engine has variable valve timing, and the problem started after you over-filled the oil, I think I'd start looking there.
Replaced both the cam sensors and the car wouldn't start. Let it sit over night and wiggled the cam sensors around a bit and it started. Still getting a P0301 and shaking after about a minute.

·
Registered
21 Posts
There is a recall on the cam sensor wiring and the O2 sensor wiring. Not sure if it includes your year/model. If it started after overfilling the oil, I'd start there, but it could be coincidental.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2010 Jeep Patriot 4x4 sport 2.4l 4 cyl
161,xxx miles

Hey everybody, I got a lot to tell, so to start I did an oil and filter change because I was due for one and I was going on a small day trip with my friends around 400 miles. I realized I accidentally overfilled my oil after stalling while at a complete stop twice and getting an oil light after the second stall. I drained easily enough oil from my patriot after the second stall. Everything was fine then and I headed home for the day and about halfway into the 2-hour drive home my car went into limp mode and had to get it towed the rest of the way home. After I got home got some crankshaft sensor engine codes, among others. Decided to try and change my spark plugs because I have no clue how old they were and the car wouldn't even start anymore. After changing my crankshaft sensor the car started to run like normal, and all the codes were clear except a new P0301 code. I didn't have this code before, just P0300. Ever since replacing the crankshaft sensor, this is the only code I've gotten. It takes about a minute of driving around or revving at 2k rpm while in park to get the engine to fail and start misfiring/shuddering nonstop, but I will get a flashing engine light or a solid one before the engine actually has performance issues. After the engine starts failing it shudders at low speeds and accelerating at low speeds, as well as in park. After getting the RPMs up it seems to smooth out, but it still doesn't accelerate properly and I can't get it to 40mph without a lot of work. There has been a bunch of things I have tested so here they are.

-replaced all four spark plugs
-replaced crankshaft position sensor
-swapped coil packs
-swapped fuel injectors
-replaced the air filter
-replaced o2 sensor
-tested the resistance and voltage on the fuel injectors
-tested the resistance and voltage on the coil packs
-down a vacuum leak test by spraying carb cleaning all over the tubes
-cleaned the throttle body
-did a compression test, all were between 200-215
-contacted a live chat mechanic who suggested switching the ground pins of injector 1/2
as a PCM test. This did not cause cylinder 2 to misfire. Meaning that the PCM should be functioning properly.
-put fuel additives and cleaner into the fuel tank
-No rotten egg smell from the exhaust/no smoke from exhaust/no metal rattling sound, indicating the cat converter is likely fine

Additionally, I was able to replicate the problem by removing the connector to the cylinder 1 fuel injector before the engine started to fail. If I removed the cylinder 1 fuel injector connector after the engine already started to fail/shudder then nothing happens. But the removal of the other 3 fuel injectors one at a time makes engine performance noticeably worse even with it already failing/shuddering.

One of the most confusing things is that it functions properly for a little bit before failing and every time I restart it, the engine works like new until a minute passes and it fails again.

Doing a leak-down test tomorrow, as suggested by the online mechanic, so I will keep you guys updated. As far as I know, I've checked everything else it could be to my knowledge. I'm at the end of the line and would prefer not to take it to a mechanic so they can test everything I've already done.
Did you every figure out the problem? This sounds almost identical to what I’m experiencing now except for the oil overfill part although I did get my oil changed four days prior to my problem.

·
Administrator
6,745 Posts
There is a recall on the cam sensor wiring and the O2 sensor wiring. Not sure if it includes your year/model. If it started after overfilling the oil, I'd start there, but it could be coincidental.

For those who are wondering if their vehicle has open recalls, you can check here:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts