Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Patriot Limited with options for the Trail Rated badge and a premium sound system. At about 4,200 miles, the OBD light came on and I took the car to Courtesy Chrysler Jeep in Sanford, who delivered the car after my special order. They checked the readout, low O2 sensor voltage, and changed the upstream Oxygen sensor. The car was in the shop one day. The next day, the light came on again and the car went back for its second try. The fix was not clear to me, something about wiring, and the car was returned late in the day after extensive road test by the Service Manager. I had advised that it took about 20 t0 30 miles for the return of the light and that gas mileage had dropped by abbout 5 MPG. The next morning, the light returned and the car went in for try number three. The car stayed three and a half days and the downstream sensor was replaced and a loose pin in a connector repaired (intermittent connection). The car was road tested three times, once for thirty miles and twice after overnight, for a total of 177 miles. Most of the testing was done by the Service Manager. The dealer provided a rental car for my use during this period. I took delivery about 6 p.m. and drove home. The next morning, the light came on again and the car went back to the dealer on a Friday morning, where it remains. I have another rental car and the service advisor can offer no further information since the technician and Service Manager were still trying to identify the possible causes and find a fix. I would appreciate any information from forum members that might be of help to us. I know that the Patriot has combined the transmission and engine controllers into one unit, versus past practice, and that the trail rated version has a few changes in the engine controls when in the low transmission setting.
Jim Prior, Sanford, FL

·
Registered
805 Posts
So with all that testing/driving did they put gas back in?? I know when you get a rental you have to put gas back in where it was at when you took it!! So the way gas prices are they should of put gas back in!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Partiot O2 Sensor

The Dealer/Corporation pays for the rental and for the gas they use to drive my car. I pay for the gas I use in the rental. We are now up to the sixth visit and 16th day of lost service and I have mailed the lemon law notice to Chrysler. The attempts to date include replacement of the sensors, a connector, the aft part of the exhaust system, including the muffler and tail pipe, and the catalytic convertor. The dealer has involved a new tech service since STAR has run out of options and the next step, the sixth visit, will be to replace the exhaust manifold and header pipe, reweld everything in place, drop the whole system and reweld every connnection, including the two threaded receptacles for the O2 sensors. Ain't this fun! I have been more than patient and the dealer has been more than involved in solving the problem. As an old Chrysler retiree and a Jeep fan (bulletproof in my past experience), I will give them the last shot. If that fails, I will want a replacement vehicle, without the damn light.
Jim

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
The scanner should show the trouble code, but a bad connection can mimic a bad sensor and give a misleading trouble code.

Oh, by the way, is the gas cap tight? A bad gas cap can give a trouble light too.

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
Sounds like the manufacturer will be buying back the vehicle. Sorry.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2007 Patriot Limited with options for the Trail Rated badge and a premium sound system. At about 4,200 miles, the OBD light came on and I took the car to Courtesy Chrysler Jeep in Sanford, who delivered the car after my special order. They checked the readout, low O2 sensor voltage, and changed the upstream Oxygen sensor. The car was in the shop one day. The next day, the light came on again and the car went back for its second try. The fix was not clear to me, something about wiring, and the car was returned late in the day after extensive road test by the Service Manager. I had advised that it took about 20 t0 30 miles for the return of the light and that gas mileage had dropped by abbout 5 MPG. The next morning, the light returned and the car went in for try number three. The car stayed three and a half days and the downstream sensor was replaced and a loose pin in a connector repaired (intermittent connection). The car was road tested three times, once for thirty miles and twice after overnight, for a total of 177 miles. Most of the testing was done by the Service Manager. The dealer provided a rental car for my use during this period. I took delivery about 6 p.m. and drove home. The next morning, the light came on again and the car went back to the dealer on a Friday morning, where it remains. I have another rental car and the service advisor can offer no further information since the technician and Service Manager were still trying to identify the possible causes and find a fix. I would appreciate any information from forum members that might be of help to us. I know that the Patriot has combined the transmission and engine controllers into one unit, versus past practice, and that the trail rated version has a few changes in the engine controls when in the low transmission setting.
Jim Prior, Sanford, FL
IT'S NOT THE OX-SENSOR. YOU HAVE TO RESET THE CODE IN THE COMPUTER. THE SAME OLD CODE KEEPS COMING UP. LOOK AT THE SPEED LOOK AT THE TEMP. IT's AN OLD CODE. CHRYSLER NEEDS TO RECALL ALL THE COMPUTERS IT HAS. THEY WILL NOT THOUGH. SO I'm NEVER BUYING A JEEP AGAIN. I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. THEN IF SOMETHING LESSER THEN THAT CODE HAPPENS YOU'll NEVER KNOW. IT's ALWAYS THE WORST FIRST.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oxygen sensor problem

Hi. I had the same problem with my Jeep at 30,000 miles. My dealer replaced the sensor twice and then a new PCM after the light came on again with the same code a week later. Another week went by and the light came on again for the same code. I dropped the Jeep off again a fourth time to finally find out that the problem came from a small crack in the upstream converter off of the manifold. Lucky for me, everything was covered under warranty and I was provided a rental car the whole time.

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
Hi. I had the same problem with my Jeep at 30,000 miles. My dealer replaced the sensor twice and then a new PCM after the light came on again with the same code a week later. Another week went by and the light came on again for the same code. I dropped the Jeep off again a fourth time to finally find out that the problem came from a small crack in the upstream converter off of the manifold. Lucky for me, everything was covered under warranty and I was provided a rental car the whole time.
Oh that could cause real problems as a crack before the O2 sensor can suck in fresh air and dilute the oxygen content reading. The computer would think the vehicle is running lean and then enrichen the fuel mixture to compensate. That would cause the MPG to go way down. Jim, this would be worth mentioning to the dealer, to check the exhaust manifold for cracks or a bad manifold to head gasket. It may not make a lot of noise, but could suck in air messing with the O2 sensor.

·
Registered
189 Posts
IT'S NOT THE OX-SENSOR. YOU HAVE TO RESET THE CODE IN THE COMPUTER. THE SAME OLD CODE KEEPS COMING UP. LOOK AT THE SPEED LOOK AT THE TEMP. IT's AN OLD CODE. CHRYSLER NEEDS TO RECALL ALL THE COMPUTERS IT HAS. THEY WILL NOT THOUGH. SO I'm NEVER BUYING A JEEP AGAIN. I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. THEN IF SOMETHING LESSER THEN THAT CODE HAPPENS YOU'll NEVER KNOW. IT's ALWAYS THE WORST FIRST.
Huh? Never ran into an issue like that and have maintained 8 post 2000 chryslers. (Big family) Always get all codes even unrelated ones.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts