Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i got the new coils in I started in the right two and gf did the left two without realizing she was going way over initial torque specs but she wasn’t thinking about the coils being plastic material and made both split at the screw while also stripping out the thread the bolts screw into the engine causing the brass casing that had threads inside of it came completely out

·
Registered
35 Posts
:ROFLMAO: It's OK to admit when you messed up man I broke the spare tire winch crank on my Ram last week because I was using it backward.. oops!

Are you looking for a solution?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:ROFLMAO: It's OK to admit when you messed up man I broke the spare tire winch crank on my Ram last week because I was using it backward.. oops!

Are you looking for a solution?
Currently yes I just bought these coils a few days agoI’d hate to have to go get two more already🤦‍♂️ Is it gonna be a big deal if I don’t bolt it down and just make sure it’s on the spark plug as good as possible?

·
Super Moderator
8,772 Posts
I'm not going to arm wrestle your GF! LOL. I suppose she was using a power tool? Wrong place for that. Ah, but you knew that.

Torque? Snug is good enough.

If it was me I'd do my best to improvise. Maybe wedge those brass inserts or get new ones if they're stripped out. Maybe an oversized washer will hold it in place. If improvising doesn't work then yes, you'll have to get new ones. Try a junkyard?

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
1,321 Posts
As far as the threaded inserts go, I'd put some JB Weld in the holes and then stick the inserts back in. You can also use JB Weld to fix the broken parts of the coils too... that stuff can work wonders.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
My initial thought is to JB weld the inserts back in place and use Ignatz' idea of an over size fender washer shaped for maximum contact. Use some light duty locktite to hold the screw in.

Given more time, I might come up with a better idea!

·
Super Moderator
8,772 Posts
I've never used J-B Weld but it seems like that may work to hold the threaded inserts in place..

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Be careful if that insert hole is open on the bottom to the valve train. A Time-Sert could probably be used to repair the thread insert, but may not be cost effective.

2 tiny holes in the coil (paper clip diameter) would allow you to make a clip to hold the coil to the thread insert post - this would cover the function of the broken coil piece preventing sideways movement. Or, drill the tiny holes in the upper corners of my ground down fender washer, thru the thick corners of the coil, and insert/bend a paper clip sized wire to clip everything together.

The epoxied thread insert with washer repair would prevent up/down movement of the original assembly, preventing the coil to vibrate up and off the spark plug. The wire clip prevents sideways movement (maybe not needed - try without first.)

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
When i got the new coils in I started in the right two and gf did the left two without realizing she was going way over initial torque specs but she wasn’t thinking about the coils being plastic material and made both split at the screw while also stripping out the thread the bolts screw into the engine causing the brass casing that had threads inside of it came completely out View attachment 94166 View attachment 94167
Red Loctite would be a permanent good repair to put the brass fitting back in. It’s not goopy or putty-like. You just put a thin coat on the brass and push it in the hole. It is used to permanently fix bushings into dies and never fails. It takes a propane torch heat to undo it, so engine heat wouldn’t be a problem. You wouldn’t even see it.
Not blue Loctite- that’s removable. The red is permanent.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Super glue or cheap epoxy or JB weld whichever is cheaper

make sure the inserts don’t get messed up on the inside. Don’t glue the threads

And then yes. Washers for the coils. Cut them with a dremel

honestly it’s not a big deal the car would probably still run just fine with no bolt at all so just do something clean and don’t break anything else. I would probably use super glue on the inserts. Or. Red locktite. Yeah do that

1 - 10 of 10 Posts