Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy an orbital polisher to be used for waxing, polishing, and etc. What would be my best option? I will be practicing before I ever take a shot at my black patriot.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I am looking to buy an orbital polisher to be used for waxing, polishing, and etc. What would be my best option? I will be practicing before I ever take a shot at my black patriot.
Good entry level ones range from $120-150. Most common and least expensive is the Porter Cable 7424xp, which is what I use and has a large market for attachments. Another good option is the more powerful Griot's Garage 6 in. random oribital polisher. Cant go wrong either way. I use my Porter Cable for wetsanding and polishing, and even got brush attachments to clean the interior seats and carpet

If you're looking to go above and beyond there's the FLEX polisher and the Rupes Bigfoot, which are more for the professional market.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, I will pick up a porter cable and give it a shot(On my dad's truck first a course). Unless I decided on upgrading to a Grand Cherokee I could not see myself needing a professional polisher.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I have a PC 7346 SP DA unit and a Griots 3" DA unit.

Mike Phillips shows you all you need to know here... http://www.autogeek.net/dual-action-polisher.html

I did a little homework and got a machine that is rated for a 6" backing plate, but I got a 5" backing plate and 5.5 inch pads. In the PC line, the difference between the 6" and 5" tool is the counter weight. The counter weights are interchangeable.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The Portal Cable 7346 is a random orbital sander and the 7424 is a dual-action random orbital polisher. Both have the same motor and can use the same attachments and look identical. What sets the 7424 apart is that it has overload protection, which means that it will cut off its spinning power when too much pressure is applied to whatever surface you're polishing. This way it is impossible to burn through your car's paint, and why the dual-action polishers are perfect for non-professional users.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Picked up the Porter Cable 7424xp a few days after making this post ,but I hadn't had a chance to respond with the results. The porter cable does an amazing job at removing a majority of the imperfections and if my vehicle had not been abused I am sure the outside would look even better. However, the results are stunning and my black patriot has not ever shined brighter (I no longer need a mirror). Thank you very much for your suggestion!!!!:notworthy:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts