Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have been a big Patriot fan for years now and finally am settled enough in life to think about purchasing one.

Options, my oh my are there options. What I would like to know from Patriots owners is their thoughts on options. As this will be my first brand new vehicle I buy I want the 'not get screwed over too bad' route. Also keep in mind I fully understand that the options will be strongly based on what each person is looking for in the vehicle. Let us get into it then.

So are their any options that you're Patriot doesn't have and you wish you did have?

Are their options that you have and you find that they were a waste of money?

Would it be easier/cheaper to not get certain options and just do it yourself? eg. Wiring harness, toe hooks, roof rack cross bars, skid plates, toe hooks, sound system, etc.

I have discovered that certain options that I will be looking for in a Patriot come with things that I feel are not so important.
But I always look forward to wise and experienced words from the wise and experienced.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
Get heated seats.

·
Registered
12,841 Posts
I am happy with my FDII, which is the only option I ordered on my Sport model. I would prefer 16 inch wheels though. I have the base radio/CD unit, and like it too, and my Ipod plugs in. If I get a chance I'll upgrade the speakers though.

There are things I would like the Patriot to have, but are not options from Jeep anyway.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Exciting for you!

I bought mine used with 75,000 kms, so did not have all the choice in the world. Here are my thoughts.

1. Carefully consider whether you need the FDII or not. 90% of us (the general population) likely don't. In fact many of us likely don't need AWD at all...but that is likely another conversation.

2. I wish I had sunroof (despite the leaking comments that seem to be prevalent). There is just something about the wind and sun on your head when driving that feels good (in the summer of course :D)

3. Although I love the look for the street, the 17 inch wheels are likely not needed and are not as useful off road (both application and tire options).

4.Pick a colour you will like for the long term (although that can be subjective). I bought Inferno red....my first ever care outside the silver/grey/blue palatte. I like it now....not sure in a few years.

5. I would do heated seats, especially out there.

6. Not a fan of leather myself, although with the YES essentialy fabric no longer available, it may be a good option for keeping clean. I love our YES essentials with having young kids.

Best of luck with your purchase and enjoy the process and your new wheels. Welcome to the club!

·
Seriously Addicted
4,042 Posts
I'm probably one of the few on the forum that prefer the 17 inch wheels. I think it looks a lot better than the 16s.

There are different options to suit your needs. The best suggestion would be to go to a dealership and see what they have to offer.

My Patriot has remote start which I barely ever use. It rarely gets cold enough in South Carolina to warrant me to start it before I get in it. I have the uconnect my gig system and I absolutely love it. The 30gb hard drive makes it so I don't have to have my Ipod plugged in all the time. I also have heated seats as well and I use those occasionally, and i'm sure you would as well.

Good luck on your purchase and maybe look at two or more dealerships so you get the best deal. Make them fight for your business. That's what I did and I got a Latitude for the price of a Sport.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
heated seats, power door locks and windows, full size spare, cruise control are things I wish I would have gotten. However everything but the windows I can still install. For the price of upgrading from fwd to 4x4, its worth it. As far as wheels, go for the 16s. You can buy way better looking aftermarket wheels for less and use your 16s in the winter.

·
POTM November 2008
8,865 Posts
I have the base model FD1-25D which I have because I wanted the vinyl seats that were available in 08. I would have liked power windows, but I could not keep vinyl seats and get that option.

The single greatest defect in Patriot design is that the rear window will not open by itself, without the whole gate.

Otherwise, this is the best all around vehicle value on the market today. No mater how you option your rig, you will be happy with the performance.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My Pat is loaded. I didn't want all the options except FDII and being this was the only FDII on the lot, I played hardball. there is nothing that I wish I had except maybe a better head unit.

Things I like:
Heated seats
BA sound system - I really like this and am glad I got it
Full size spare
Evic system
Sunroof - Never had a leak in my pat although I live in the desert and it rarely is out in the rain.

Make sure you check about rebates/discounts. This can vary from dealer to dealer.

Good Luck!

·
Fiat Cherokar
3,109 Posts
Saskatchewan, Canada
Where abouts in Saskatchewan, I"m in Saskatoon.

I'm in my second MK, had a 2008 Patriot that I loved and now i'm driving a 2012 compass that I just bought a little over a week ago.

I got every option on my 2012 Limited including FDII

I like the heated seats
Sun/Sound Group (sunroof and boston acoustics stereo)
EVIC is nice along with the fullsize spare,

SO my like mirrors what others have said. Patriot's are a great vehicle and work awesome for SK's winter

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am in Moose Jaw, working in Regina.

When I priced out a Patriot the money has just worried me a little bit. Because I have been looking at Patriots so long I have seen them through the years change on their prices and options so I feel I have a good understanding of what I want. But might be getting confused by what I need.
I have heard on here that some of you luckier buyers got really good deals on their jeeps. And I would like to see myself in that group, but chances are I might only save a couple of dollars.

OK so now that I have some feed back I can get into more directed questions.
I would like the FDII so that is the foundation, I also would like power windows and locks on a new vehicle so that bumps me up to a North Edition which I am pretty comfortable with the price. Now I would also like to tow stuff and I wonder if it would be cheaper not to get the tow prep package and just do the wiring harness and hidden hitch by myself. Also the biggest price jump I think would be entertainment systems. I don't really know what I would NEED from that. From reading reviews they always seem to say the best deal is to get the fulling upgraded touch screen with NAV.

Also has anyone got the cross bars for the roof racks aftermarket?

A big money grab that some of my close friends have said is the vehicle information system. With the tire pressure monitor and compass/temperature gauge/ instant fuel economy.
With the tire pressure monitors has anyone had any problems when replacing the tires?

Thanks for all the feed back! I love this site :)

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I needed 4X4, but did not want a CVT, so I got a 2.4L w/ FDI and a M5.
I wanted heated seats, but did not need leather, so I got a Latitude.
I wanted an oil cooler and full size spare, so I got the Tow Prep group.
I wanted DRLs, tow hooks and rubber floor mats, so I got the All Weather group.
I wanted a low maintenance color (I hate to see swirls), so I got the Mineral Grey Metallic paint code.

The Latitude gave me a nice vehicle, and the two option groups made it mine.

I bought cross bars and a cargo shade from the MOPAR parts counter.

My son gave me a Scan Gauge and except for TP data, I think it reads what an EVIC does and more. It also reads/resets OBDII codes. Yes, I would like to have a compass heading read out, but then I have a new GPS, my second one.

I did upgrade the stock speakers and headlamp bulbs in the first week.

I bought 4 16" rims and 4 aftermarket TPM sensors for my winter tire set. I have not had any issues w/ the TPM system. I did have a flat and the TPM system light illunminated. I put on the spare, it stayed in. I got the tire repaired and installed, the TPM light went out.

·
Registered
12,841 Posts
TPS is standard I think. You get most of the towing package by buying a FDII, except for the hitch and the wiring harness, although some folks have had the harness thrown in on a FDII. I would say adding your own hitch has been done by many folks here, and I think you should be able to do it too.

I personally do not like power windows or door locks, just more that can go wrong, and over 90% of the time I'm the only one in the vehicle anyway. And when it;s cold out, I'm usually dressed for it, and do not need heated seats. I've never found my butt to be cold while driving anyway. But you will be the one making the payments each month, so be sure to get what you want.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I regret that I have chosen Brilliant Black as color, I know a jeep looks best when he is dirty, but, really, in brilliant black he is clean for only 5 min if you are lucky. And I only have the cheap radio/cd, now I would go for the one with the nav and aux output.

For the rest, I love the cruise control (saved my lot's of speeding tickets), heated seat !!! Love them (but not a wise choice when you still want to have kids I have been told).

And I love the 4x4, I don't go that much off-road, but I live on the countryside, so plenty of mud, and if it snows, we are the last point when they come to clean it up, so i'l really happy for that.

for the rest, well I have the smoked windows in the rear, leather steering wheel and shifter and a manual ac, 17 inch wheels with the alloy rims from jeep, chrome grill insert and door-inlay's and front winddeflector (looks good, but did not experiance any differance ..)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Heated seats and auto starters are a big must have here in Canada .
I wish that I would of got the fd2 but my local dealership call around to find me one but no luck. So I settle for the LTD model .

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
543 Posts
Don't get a sun roof. You would be better off just cutting a hole in your roof. You might get less water inside your Pat that way. With the regular seats my butt is not cold. No heat for heated seats. In my wife's van you need heated seats for the leather seats or you freeze. A FDI or FDII do just fine in the snow. If all on road go FDI better mpg. You can add all the extras on just fine. About everyone here has with no problems.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I feel power options are a most have....who rolls down their windows anymore, honestly? My sport has power options but for some reason no height adjust on the drivers seat nor fold flat passenger seat. Both I wish I had, but not a big deal. I have a car seat in the back so I would never get to fold the front seat (not for some time anyway) and a bought a seat pillow (the kind for a dinning room chair) for the driver seat...more comfy with a little lift. No fog lites but installed myself just fine. btw, having heated mirrors is very nice.

Good luck, sometimes you have to settle for what the dealers have around (if u dont special order $$$).

So, know what u want/need and enjoy the best little 4x4 out there (unless u go 4x2 ;))

1 - 18 of 18 Posts