Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a new toy to play with... My XJ is on the chopping block and should be gone soon.

2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege.

170hp turbo 2.0l, 102k miles on the clock. Should be a lot of fun. Not sure how much I'm actually going to do to it other than just fix it up nice, and have a great daily driver that will be a fun car to drive.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Will it be featured in any off road videos on you tube?

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will it be featured in any off road videos on you tube?
haha, nope, I'll probably be taking my truck off road more.

There will be a lot of videos with my MSP, but not off road.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,554 Posts
"Honey the new car won't work without this extra alternator"......maybe? Or maybe confer with Sask-Riot(who has a pre-1990 Ranger) and do similar Class-7 Baja builds? He seemed mildly interested in making his Class-7 when I mentioned it to him once.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ordered a few trim pieces to replace parts that are missing, this was the first one that came in. I like how it completes the front end, I don't like how it looks a bit like an acura:

·
Registered
1,145 Posts

anybody interested in watching the progress of my "build" of my Mazdaspeed protege? There is minimal activity on the mazda forums in general, much less for one as old as my protege.
I'm a "car guy" in general. Even though the Mazda may not be my cup of tea, I would still check out your build thread, and see how it turns out.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm a "car guy" in general. Even though the Mazda may not be my cup of tea, I would still check out your build thread, and see how it turns out.
I'll try to keep it to things that are more relevant to all cars. Like wrapping a steering wheel or other cosmetic things.

I hoped that this being a car forum, others would be interested just because "car".

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I once test drove a Protege5, and I wish I would've been able to justify buying it. The very definition of slow-car-fast. I imagine even with just 170hp, this thing feels like a rocket. Amazingly low mileage to boot.

Good find, man! Enjoy it!

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I once test drove a Protege5, and I wish I would've been able to justify buying it. The very definition of slow-car-fast. I imagine even with just 170hp, this thing feels like a rocket. Amazingly low mileage to boot.

Good find, man! Enjoy it!
Thanks. Yeah, it's not fast. I had a new camery try to beat me onto the freeway this morning... the stock exhaust is quite loud... they probably thought i was trying to race them. Once I realized they were trying to do that, I got ahead of them... Just.

Its losing power on the top end, not sure if its the injectors or if its the fuel pump, or something else. We'll see. Taking it to the shop today to get the A/C fixed, and they will do a full inspection on it.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
To be fair, it's only supposed to be "fast enough"... It's a car that you're supposed to wring out the engine and enjoy at full throttle 80% of the time, because that's where the torque is, but you can get away with it because, yeah, it's slow.

Slow car fast.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Exactly.

Took coworker to lunch today, and felt pretty good ripping through the gears till a base golf passed us... Still hella fun.

R&T included the mazda MP3 (the same car from the previous year), and it got 8/10 in the best handling in 2002, and would have scored higher had it had a performance boost. in addition to the added performance I have wider tires, and a LSD.

Great Grip - Mazda MP3

Just dropped it off at the shop to get the A/C looked at, and sometimes it won't find 2nd gear, and a few other niggly things. We'll see how much damage the shop does. to my bottom line.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I'll try to keep it to things that are more relevant to all cars. Like wrapping a steering wheel or other cosmetic things.

I hoped that this being a car forum, others would be interested just because "car".
I was trying to say, that I would check out the thread because "car". I say post it up. If people don;t want to follow then they can avoid the thread. The forum has a dedicated section to "off topic discussions".

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was trying to say, that I would check out the thread because "car". I say post it up. If people don;t want to follow then they can avoid the thread. The forum has a dedicated section to "off topic discussions".
Cool, yeah, I'll post, probably not everything I do/every update.

Its in the shop now for A/C work, but I couldn't get it to go into 2nd gear easily a couple of times yesterday, so might be in for transmission work as well. Hopefully its just a bushing issue or something more simple... we'll see.

Then I'm going to go after the cosmetic issues. I would like to start taking it to car shows to show off. I have one scheduled in october, so we'll see how much cosmetic work I can get done between now and then. I have A LOT of paint and clear work to do, and some under the hood work as well.

Anybody have any tips to get the black plastic to be nice and black again? its pretty faded.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Try 303 aerospace, good stuff. You can find it on Amazon, too.
The clear coat is trashed from the AZ sun, large portions of it have pealed/baked off, so looking at something like this: http://amzn.to/2uU9vHH. A spray paint with hardener. I plan on doing some bigger flat sections, like the wing, to give it a try at first. See how well it works. Hopefully I don't have to pay for a shop to do the work.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Might be getting off easy with the repairs, a sensor was not hooked up correctly on the A/C, and the clutch needed adjustment, and it needs some front struts. Depending on the cost, I may just save up and buy some coilovers and not replace the struts. Or replace the struts and then save up for coilovers later. It needs tires too, I'll be going from a 215/45r17 to a 225/45r17. I want just a hair bigger, in width and sidewall. The tires are pretty low profile, and the roads around me are just so-so.

1 - 20 of 169 Posts