Jeep Patriot Forums banner

541 - 560 of 589 Posts

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Does anyone know if a 235/75r16 tire will clear the springs and other internals? I'm currently running a 245/70r16 but would like to run a mud pattern tire and they make a 235/75 but no 245/70. I know the 245/70 is wider but the 235/75 is taller by about 2/10 of an inch. Anyone have experience with the 235/75r16? Thanks!

·
Fiat Cherokar
3,098 Posts
235/75/16 is gonna be tight, I would not recommend it, 225/75/16 would work, they usually come in aggressive sizes.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
235/75/16 is gonna be tight, I would not recommend it, 225/75/16 would work, they usually come in aggressive sizes.
Thanks for the reply, that's what I was afraid of. I was thinking the 225/75 but it's a lot narrower compared to my current 245/70. I'd lose about an inch of total width.

My option if I stay with the 245/70 size would be the general grabber at2s. Do you know of any mud pattern tire in size 245/70r16?

·
Fiat Cherokar
3,098 Posts
Grabber AT/2 if they come in that size would probably be the most aggressive you will find in 245/70/16,

245/70/16 is a good size it's not going to be super heavy so that is one plus, its pretty much like running 245/65/17 similar overall diameter but a bit more sidewall.

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
Thanks for the reply, that's what I was afraid of. I was thinking the 225/75 but it's a lot narrower compared to my current 245/70. I'd lose about an inch of total width.

My option if I stay with the 245/70 size would be the general grabber at2s. Do you know of any mud pattern tire in size 245/70r16?
If you're truly going into offroad muddy areas skinny tires are better in pretty much every way: http://www.expeditionswest.com/research/white_papers/tire_selection_rev1.html

The only time a wider tire is better is bottomless mud...which the Pat can't do no matter what you do to it. BFG has a 235/75 r 15 that might fit your bill. Also 15" tires will ride a bit better offroad than 16s but will not corner on pavement as well. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Mud-Terrain+T/A+KM2&sidewall=Raised White Letters&partnum=375QR5KM2RWLV2&tab=Specs

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
If you're truly going into offroad muddy areas skinny tires are better in pretty much every way: http://www.expeditionswest.com/research/white_papers/tire_selection_rev1.html

The only time a wider tire is better is bottomless mud...which the Pat can't do no matter what you do to it. BFG has a 235/75 r 15 that might fit your bill. Also 15" tires will ride a bit better offroad than 16s but will not corner on pavement as well. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Mud-Terrain+T/A+KM2&sidewall=Raised White Letters&partnum=375QR5KM2RWLV2&tab=Specs

Yeah I'd like the mud style tires for mostly looks, we take the pat off-road now and then, and I'm sure the larger tread on the mud tire would help us, but I just like the aggressive look they give the patriot. I'll propbably end up going with an A/T tire because I think the mud tires wear out faster. I just wish they made the general red labels in a size that fit the patriot.

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
Yeah I'd like the mud style tires for mostly looks, we take the pat off-road now and then, and I'm sure the larger tread on the mud tire would help us, but I just like the aggressive look they give the patriot. I'll propbably end up going with an A/T tire because I think the mud tires wear out faster. I just wish they made the general red labels in a size that fit the patriot.
Depends on the mud tire. Mine actually have a 60000 mile warranty and many have reported them going past 80,000 miles. Some of the newer mud tires are also meant for rock crawling where you want the stickiest/softest tire you can get. Just go by the mileage warrantys.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Getting ready to install the RRO lift tomorrow on my wife's 2014 Patriot. Question. The cam bolts for the front look really small compared to the strut bolts from the factory. Did ya'lls look small too?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Finally done with the lift. Took me about 5 hrs. So I'm a new member now. Now lets see if my local shop can align it. Try to get some pics tomorrow. Thanks to all members for sharing your knowledge and experiences.

·
Registered
137 Posts
RRO lift

Congrads on the RRO lift it is a great modification that opens up a lot of wheel and tire choices.

You may already know this but;

1) Make sure you find a shop that really knows how to do 4 wheel alignments.

2) Make sure after the alignment you drive around for about 800+ miles to let things "settle" then go back in for a re-check and they'll give 'er a little tweak here and there,and your riot will be set up perfect.

Cheers,
Bill.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Be careful to find good mechanic!

The dealership failed me twice

I went to a dozen shops who's service advisors said "yes we can, no problem", but I asked to speak with the alignment tech, and they all said "we don't do lift kits" and " we only adjust factory adjustments".

They all were unwilling to even look at my Patriot, and claimed "liability issues" if they were to unbolt the control arm.

I have done wheel alignments for a living and even offered to pay to let me do it, with a notarized liability disclaimer.

It all boils down to LAZY people.

If you are in the Fargo ND area, go to Valley Alignment in Moorhead MN, they are willing and able to do a great job.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Finally got lifted and most of the problems are sorted out. I had to replace the front axel since it was too weak. The only problem now is there is a slight wobble in the front end starting at 10 mph and going until about 25 mph.

Installed BFG all terrains in size 245/70/16. They rub on the inner fender I'm the front and the spring in the back so I have order 1.5 inch spacers to fix these problems hopefully.

·
Mopar or no car!!!
1,719 Posts
Looks awesome!!!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks....this ones actually my girlfriends baby...ha she drove my Cherokee for a year or so and fell on love with the jeep so she just bought this one and I got it looking good for her.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
ADD ME TO THE LIST :D

541 - 560 of 589 Posts