Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had a oil change and the lube shop put in 10W30 instead of the 5W20.
Is this ok to do on on a Jeep 4 cylinder engine with high mileage?

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,689 Posts
Shouldn't be too big an issue, but I'd recommend against doing so for long, or again. And if they try putting in 15W-40, I don't care how hot it is out, don't let it leave the shop. 5W-20 is what the manual calls for, and I'll sometimes run 5W-30, though not usually unless it's really warm out. That's about as far as you really need to go these days, if that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shouldn't be too big an issue, but I'd recommend against doing so for long, or again. And if they try putting in 15W-40, I don't care how hot it is out, don't let it leave the shop. 5W-20 is what the manual calls for, and I'll sometimes run 5W-30, though not usually unless it's really warm out. That's about as far as you really need to go these days, if that.
They did it because I have high mileage of 118K. But you still say I should get them to put the 5W20 back in right away?

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
1,321 Posts
Patriot engines have variable valve timing. In order for that to work properly, oil needs to be thin enough to easily flow into some very small passages. If it were me, I wouldn't use anything except the factory recommended oil weight, no matter what the mileage.

·
Super Moderator
8,772 Posts
All the advice above is basically correct. The spec oil is what should be used. All I meant was that a viscosity so close isn't a crisis. 118,000 isn't that high. Yeah, if you'd never changed the oil and the engine was headed south anyway thicker oil might not disappear quite as quickly. If your engine has had good maintenance all along you shouldn't have to worry about oil consumption until double your miles.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,689 Posts
They did it because I have high mileage of 118K. But you still say I should get them to put the 5W20 back in right away?
Right now, since they've put in 10W-30, I'd say you don't need to rush back, but I wouldn't recommend using it again. Maybe even consider getting the next oil change ahead of schedule. But oil and engine technology has advanced far enough that you don't need to play with the oil weight depending on season like many old-timers still like to do out of habit, and possibly not knowing of the change.

·
Registered
2016 Jeep Patriot Sport 2WD
111 Posts
Why? I have high mileage and this is what they recommended, though I wasn't expecting 10W30, what will it do to the engine rated at 5W20?
Like what mr_et2 said in post #7. I suppose 20W is the max recommended to flow properly. 30W may work OK, but it could reduce flow through those small passages.

This raises another question: Why is it suggested to run heavier oil weight in high mileage engines?

·
Super Moderator
8,772 Posts
This raises another question: Why is it suggested to run heavier oil weight in high mileage engines?
The old time wisdom was that thicker oil was less likely to blow by worn piston rings or leak out around aging gaskets.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Patriot engines have variable valve timing. In order for that to work properly, oil needs to be thin enough to easily flow into some very small passages. If it were me, I wouldn't use anything except the factory recommended oil weight, no matter what the mileage.
I just did some internet research about the effects of thicker oil on variable valve timing and the first impression that I get is that it is not that big of an issue. Maybe with high performance VVT engines????? Maybe with extreme thick oil such as 20W60????

Here's just one of many discussions that seems to indicate VVT can handle viscosity differences: Different VVT calibration for different oil weight

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah it's ok but was it recommended or was the oil your engine specifies not available ? If it was recommended did you ask why ? Valve ping or slop can often be covered up with thicker oil but doesn't fix it . Also if your engine has that cheap gas knock , thicker oil helps smooth out a roughly idling engine . Might wanna ask why the oil was recommended so you can be informed on the condition of your high milage engine .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Don't sweat it for now. These are relatively high revving 4 cylinders, and the difference between the 20W and 30W when warm is minimal, even with VVT. The 10W as opposed to 5W is also minimal on a higher mileage engine in mild weather. If it were winter in MN, you might notice it tougher to crank over when cold.

If you had a 5.7 Hemi engine, absolutely, positively, always stick with nothing but 5W20, unless you disabled MDS, as the cylinder de-activation system is extremely sensitive to heavier weight oils and can throw codes and cause problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts