Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just recently replaced the air filter and was inspecting it when I noticed an oily spot. It is on the side facing the engine with the wire mesh. Filter is a Fram CA10118. Any ideas?

Edit: It's a 2009 North Edition and just had an oil change about a week ago, if that helps. Currently has 40K KM on it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
maybe they got oil on it when they checked it during the oil change.....
I know when i go to a quick lube place they always check the Air filter and want to change it and charge me 4 times the amount that i can buy it for myself. Cheeky buggers!

·
Registered
28 Posts
not sure about the patriot, but I work on motorcycles, waverunners, snowmobiles, and atv's and most of them route the crankcase vent to the airbox and if the oil is overfilled it will soak the air filter with oil...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Talking of air filters...could anyone tell me how to change the air filter on my 2010 patriot (petrol)? I didn't want to start messing around with things in the engine bay but I did note that the air filer housing is vertical as opposed to horizontal and I opened the two clips holding the casing closed. That alone however isn't enough to open the casing so could someone tell me what I do next?

Thanks in advance,

Martin

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just recently replaced the air filter and was inspecting it when I noticed an oily spot. It is on the side facing the engine with the wire mesh. Filter is a Fram CA10118. Any ideas?

Edit: It's a 2009 North Edition and just had an oil change about a week ago, if that helps. Currently has 40K KM on it.
Is it petrol or diesel?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Talking of air filters...could anyone tell me how to change the air filter on my 2010 patriot (petrol)? I didn't want to start messing around with things in the engine bay but I did note that the air filer housing is vertical as opposed to horizontal and I opened the two clips holding the casing closed. That alone however isn't enough to open the casing so could someone tell me what I do next?

Thanks in advance,

Martin
http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5821

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
not sure about the patriot, but I work on motorcycles, waverunners, snowmobiles, and atv's and most of them route the crankcase vent to the airbox and if the oil is overfilled it will soak the air filter with oil...
You would have to seriously overfill the Patriot to see this happen through the crankcase breather tube.

If it's just one spot, I would have to assume someone accidentally put it there. Maybe they had some oil on their fingers or a drip hit the filter when it was checked. Most oil change places have these 5 qt oil pitchers with a long flexible spout (we used them when I worked at sears) that they fill from a 55 gallon drum of oil. They probably had the empty pitcher sitting on the strut tower next to the air filter and it dripped.

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
havent had problems with Pat,
But Jeep liberty sport straight 6 was notorious for blowback,
where vacume line would get clogged and oil blow back to the filter,

·
Registered
927 Posts
Jeep Liberty never had a straight six, as far as I know they've always used the 3.7 V-6.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Opened it up after 1000KM and nothing on the filter. Might have been accidentaly soiled by the tech from the dealership. Will still monitor it after this just to make sure. Thanks guys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts