Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got nearly 30,000 miles on my Patriot. And, every 3,000 miles--almost like clockwork--the oil change reminder comes on. Now, I do a lot of town driving (my town is about 1 mile by 2 miles square) and then drive to other cities which are 10 miles and farther. So, my driving style would indicate I should change the oil more often.

Now, I have nearly 4,500 miles since last oil change--the oil doesn't appear exceptionally dirty, the level is good, etc. And, I'm going to change it this week prior to a 400 mile road trip.

But--what happened to my reminder? Has anyone else had this happen?

·
POTM November 2008
8,921 Posts
Mine has never come on at 3K. The only time I ever see it is if they forget to reset it and the car thinks I've gone 6K. (like the manual says the change interval is)

Did you set yours to 3K? If so, how did you do it?

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
The only time mine came on around 3000 miles (2800) was the first change. It now comes on every 5500-5800 miles. I'd say leave it be for now and take the trip. Even if the light does come on, they give a few hundred miles leeway for the change.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't do anything "to set it at 3,000 miles" the EVIC had a mind of it's own.

However, after posting yesterday, this AM, --get this--on the way to the shop to change the oil, the reminder came on when I started up! It's just under 5,000 miles since last change.

So....what gives?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I think Jeep (Chryser) is doing a great job of adding useful features to our vehicles, but a ****ty job of explaining them to the common user.

Chevy's Ecotec engine started incorporating a sensor that actually "read" the oil to sense whether or not it needed to be changed. Most people who ran dino lube reported oil change intervals between 4k & 6k miles. A lot of people wondered if it was just a bogus "feature" that read the clock and ticked over after a pre-set # of miles... No, there's actually a sensor mounted into the block, though I'm not sure at all what method it uses to test the oil.

That said, I wonder if the GEMA engine has a similar feature. And maybe a built in "mandatory 3k mileage" period. Who knows? A GEMA engineer would, but i'm not sure that even Jeep would know for sure. The downside of outsourcing your engine technology...

I do know, from personal experience, that if you go beyond the oil change chime interval by a certain amount, it will give you a double-chime, then a triple-chime... then a quadruple chime... I didn't get to five chimes, but for what it's worth, my engine didn't explode. :D

·
Patriot Crash Test Dummy
1,357 Posts
Ive always had mine go off at around the 2,500 mile mark, which I attribute to my driving. However, I did have an issue on the 08 where the indicator could not be reset. I let jeep do all my service, and once after a change the light was still on. I know how to reset it and have done it plenty of times before. Well, after several unsuccessful attempts, I just ignored it for awhile. The next time I got the oil changed, I asked them to make sure that the light was reset because it wouldnt work for me. Well low and behold I get in the car after they're done and its still on. I went inside and told the service advisor after trying again to reset it myself. He then came out and attempted to reset it himself. After none of this worked they pulled it back inside and the tech checked it out. At first they told me that the entire cluster had gone bad and needed to be replaced, but eventually (about 2 hours later) they came out and told me that they had reflashed the ECU and everything worked great again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts