Jeep Patriot Forums banner

121 - 139 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Patriot, North Ed.
287 Posts
The Canadian manual says 12 months or 16000 km max. I have never seen my maintenance light come on and I usually change my oil every 12000 km (about 8000 miles). When I change my oil and reset the counter with my scan tool my oil life is usually around 10-15%. It's not BS, it's just how you drive, temperatures, whether you do short trips etc. and is only an estimate.

I use 5w-20 full synthetic Pennzoil. When I change my oil is not clumpy or thick, has no problem flowing, and doesn't feel gritty. I have never noticed metal particles in the oil either. So from what I can tell, it seems that it's completely safe to drain at these intervals. 137000 km so far and I'm noticing no problems with wear. Compression is fine etc.

As for filter, I just use the ultra synthetic Fram filter (think it's XG10060)

But it's a matter of opinion. If you want to change it early than go ahead. It won't exactly hurt it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi-
Noob here love the forum I have a question. If I change oil on my 2015 patriot before the change oil light comes on do I have to reset using the gas pedal procedure even though the light was not on before my oil change?
Thanks!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Hi-
Noob here love the forum I have a question. If I change oil on my 2015 patriot before the change oil light comes on do I have to reset using the gas pedal procedure even though the light was not on before my oil change?
Thanks!
Yep. Welcome to the group!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hi-
Thanks!
You don't have to but your oil life indicator won't be reset, so your maintenance light will likely come on not too long after that. You can reset it then and just not worry about it if your track your mileage yourself

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've owned the 2015 Patriot [actually,it's wifeys car but I had to pay for it,not her,duh,lol] for 5 years now,and do all the service and maintenance work on it myself ,unless it's something I don't have the correct diagnosis equipment to do it [like that transmission problem I recently posted about] and change the oil and filter every 5000 miles,except for when I buy em new,I change it at 1000 miles to get the break in oil out, but that oil reset light has never come on. I use 5/30 Dino oil and a Wix filter and have NEVER had any motor problems in ANY of the new vehicles I've owned and serviced myself,including my motorcycles,[which also came with synthetic oil in em] and alsol bought brand new.
The Jeep now has 24,000 miles on it and the motor is still running nice and quiet,in fact,a lot quieter then when I first got it with that synthetic **** in it. I will NOT use synthetic oil in anything I own and have never had any motor noises or issues.
This synthetic stuff is for emissions purposes [and again,IMO,NOT for superior lubrication] but was jammed down our throats by your friends at the EPA,[ they're certainly not mine] and again, IMO,does not offer superior lubrication,as evidenced by the fact that all the vehicles I have switched from Synthetic to Dino oil, ran a lot quieter.
But whatever you use,as long as it's changed on a regular interval,and the vehicle is allowed to warm up before driving off [especially in the winter months] ya really shouldn't have any problems. Dave!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well it's about time for the annual oil change. It's been 1 yr and 3000 miles since the last one (retired and don't drive much). I'll be using Quaker State full synthetic 5W20 with a Royal Purple filter. Because of the heat here in Vegas I don't like to put on much more than 3,000 miles between changes. I presently have 24,000 miles on my 2014 Patriot. It's run trouble free since Ive had it. Big O tires will do the change, with tire rotation, for $20.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Some folk may have to change their oil at certain intervals in order not to invalidate an extended warranty. If there is no warranty to consider then I cant see why a person wouldnt use full synthetic oil and filter designed to last a year or 15k miles, whichever comes first. I have a warranty on my Patriot so I change my oil every 5k on the nose. My 80 yo parents have no warranty on their Liberty so I change the oil in that once a year using the version of Mobile One designed to go for 15k miles.

·
8,198 Posts
My 80 yo parents have no warranty on their Liberty so I change the oil in that once a year using the version of Mobile One designed to go for 15k miles.
Nice you're taking care of the old folks. Be glad you've still got them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Going to change my oil any recommendations for what is the best brand in both oil and filter? And do you guys pre fill the oil filter with the same 5 quarts of oil?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I use Mobile One full synthetic, 15k extended mileage and a Mobile One extended mileage filter in my parents two Libertys because neither are under a warranty. I think that combo works great. I also always prefilled the filter for any vehicle if possible since I think it helps to get oil to vital areas a bit more quickly on that 1st, after oil change start up. For my own Patriot, I still use Mobile One and a Mobile One filter but change the oil every 3k to 5k since my Patriot has an extended warranty on it(so I keep all receipts for what I've done as well). To be totally honest though, I dont think which brand of oil and filter you use is nearly as important as changing the oil on a regular basis.

·
Registered
62 Posts
PS: Just an FYI, There is guidance out there that says that once you change your vehicle over to synthetic oil, you should not change it back to conventional oil. I dont know the reasoning behind this but I've heard and read it many times. I need to look it up at some point so I know I'm not parroting something dumb lol!

·
Registered
203 Posts
PS: Just an FYI, There is guidance out there that says that once you change your vehicle over to synthetic oil, you should not change it back to conventional oil. I dont know the reasoning behind this but I've heard and read it many times. I need to look it up at some point so I know I'm not parroting something dumb lol!
That's a myth. Any modern engine can change to and away from full synthetic at any time.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
That's a myth. Any modern engine can change to and away from full synthetic at any time.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Yup. I had just finished looking it up before I saw your reply. It is a myth. At least that's what the internet says so it has to be true!

·
Super Moderator
5,221 Posts
Going to change my oil any recommendations for what is the best brand in both oil and filter? And do you guys pre fill the oil filter with the same 5 quarts of oil?
Mobil 1 Extended on sale at Walmart

then Mobil 1 $12 rebate makes it about the same per quart as Walmart Supertech conventional.

·
Registered
34 Posts

then Mobil 1 $12 rebate makes it about the same per quart as Walmart Supertech conventional.
Thanks sandstone! Any good filters I was thinking about sticking with mopar filters. And also do you prefilled the filter with the same oil you bought? I figured yes to that because if you use another quart to fill the filter you will be adding more than 5 quarts recommend

·
Super Moderator
5,221 Posts
Yes, oil in the filter before install.

Mobil 1 filter is good, I've used them several times.

This time they were out of Mobil 1 filters, and no Wix either, so I ended up with Fram Ultra Synthetic.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I go by what's recommended. For Canada on a 2014 Patriot is one year or 16,000km max, 5w-20 reg or synthetic. I've used synthetic since the first oil change since its better able to maintain viscosity under various temps.

It's 2020 and I have had no engine problems following this. And like wise for all previous cars. Basically, just follow what the engineers recommend.

Reactions: JCali7

·
Registered
62 Posts

Thanks for that heads up! I just ordered early for my next oil change so I can be sure to get the sale price and rebate. Luckily, ordering the oil and filter online brings the total to over $35 so free shipping as well.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks sandstone! Any good filters I was thinking about sticking with mopar filters. And also do you prefilled the filter with the same oil you bought? I figured yes to that because if you use another quart to fill the filter you will be adding more than 5 quarts recommend
Yes. Use "the oil you bought" to do your oil change to fill the filter. As you already guessed, using a separate quart will cause you to have too much oil in your engine.

121 - 139 of 139 Posts