Jeep Patriot Forums banner

101 - 120 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has anyone had any trouble with transfer case axle seal leaking. My 2012 Patriot 4x4 is leaking bad was wondering if this is a common thing

·
8,198 Posts
Has any one had any problems with oil leaks from Engine or transmission
Yes, from my transmission. My dealer caught it and fixed it under the lifetime warranty. FCA covered the fluid and I paid for the filter only.

When my CVT failed with 175,000 on it the dealer said it was low on fluid. Regardless, the transmission was covered under the lifetime warranty too. AYK, there is no dipstick so no way for the average vehicle owner to check the fluid level.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yep, had this problem, constant oil leaks from my transmission. It was one of the reasons why I sold my Jeep, I just couldn't deal with it anymore. Pity, because I really liked this car. Powerful, fast and easy to drive. Was enough space for everyone, but the oil problem repeated again and again. Bought a brand new skoda rapid recently https://autoportal.com/newcars/skoda/rapid/ and I'm very happy with it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bought 5W-30 instead of 5W-20 for my 2014 patriot?

I guess I was having a real senior moment because I bought a 5 qt jug of full synthetic 5W-30 at a "going out a business" sale at an automotive store. Thought I had the right weight but when I went to do an oil change my book says 5W-20 ! So I can't take this back to the store. Do you think I can use it in my 2014 Patriot 2.4L engine. I always have run full synthetic in it but I had the service station change it . Now that I'm retired I have the time to do my own oil changes! Hope I'm not starting off wrong

·
Registered
203 Posts
5w 20 is what FCA recommends, but you can use 5w30 w/o issue.

You should actually use 5w30. 5w20 is thinner only to gain the extra 1-2 mpg economy for C.A.F.E.. regulations.

For a fun night, grab some popcorn and do a web search for "5w20 Cafe regulation".

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Many high end cars routinely go over 10000 on regular and 15000 on synthetic. My 13 Accord clicked the light on at around 9000 mostly hwy miles and my old BMW an 05 called for 15000 on the Bmw approved full synthetic. No problems with either.

Color of oil means nothing. The ambulances I used to service and both my diesel MBZ turned the oil black as soon as you fired them up.
I am a retired truck mechanic I have worked trucks and diesel engines all my life until 2006, I am now 64. It is normal for the oil in a diesel engine to turn black right away, if at any time it doesn't then something is wrong.
The color of the oil in a gas engine also means a lot and almost always need to be changed when the owners manual says so, these vehicles and the engine and the specified oils were all tested in all the conditions that every different person drives. When your owners manual says.

Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 6,000 miles (10 000 km) or six months, whichever occurs first. This is what it says for my 2010 Jeep Patriot Sport for a 2.4 gas engine.

It should never go over that, of course, you can always change your motor oil sooner and if the oil change light comes on before you get to that change as soon as you can. It monitors the condition of your motor oil so it could simply need to be changed or there could be a more serious problem. With the cost of motor oil be so small as compared to the cost of an engine why take a chance.

If you do, you run the risk of plugging up your oil filter, If this happens you will either open up the bypass valve let unfiltered oil through or if it completely plugs your filter, it will starve your engine of the lubricating oil it needs, thus running the risk of ruining your engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
For your oil changes do you go by the recommended oil change schedule or do you change or have your oil & filter changed sooner ?

I'm considering switching to full synthetic oil and taking my wifeys Jeep in every 4,000 miles for oil & filter changes.
not a bad idea especially if it has higher mileage it will certainly help the motor

·
Registered
142 Posts
All my 4-wheeled stuff gets changed every 6 months with full synthetic and filter. Easier than tracking mileage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've never done an oil change at home and want to start doing that to save some money but I have no idea what I need or even what oil to use. I've heard that its best to use a full synthetic is this true? and what type of filter do I need to get as well?

·
8,198 Posts
I've never done an oil change at home and want to start doing that to save some money but I have no idea what I need or even what oil to use. I've heard that its best to use a full synthetic is this true? and what type of filter do I need to get as well?
There are several threads on here about oil changes. Try using the "Search Community" box above. Likely plenty of You-tube videos on oil changes, too.

You can look up the filter in your owner's manual. I'm not going out in the rain to look it up for you. Most auto parts stores will have a chart hanging in the oil filter section where you can look up the proper filter by make and model of your vehicle. If not, then go to the parts counter and ask: its not a stupid question, I don't know it myself without looking it up.

Jeep specifies 5w-20 oil but the brand is up to you. There are multiple opinions -- just like which tire is better, everyone has their preference. Stick with a branded oil and you should be fine. By all accounts synthetic oil is better than conventional oil, but whether its worth the money is your decision. I'm sure others will chime in on this thread with their opinions.

Helpful hint: when you're done, turn the ignition to the run position, but do not start it. Then slowly depress the gas pedal 3 times within 15 seconds and that will reset the oil change indicator light. It will flash a couple times to indicate the reset was successful. Then turn the key back to off.

Don't forget the obvious like being sure to reinstall the drain plug, and checking for leaks when you're done. Final hint: put a thin film of oil on the filter gasket before installing it, and don't over-tighten the oil filter. I tighten mine as snug as I can get it with my left (weaker) hand.

·
Use the SEARCH feature
1,417 Posts
Oil changes can be messy. Sometimes I just pay the premium for someone else to do it because I dont want to deal with it.

Also make sure you know where you can take the used oil and filter for recycling first. My town's trash pick up service will take it, but its only on one day of the month. So I have to time oil changes close to that date or I'm sitting on it for a while.

You'll want a socket & wrench set, a collection bin to catch the draining oil, rags, a funnel, and maybe even a "oil filter socket" (filters can be difficult to get off by hand on occasion.)

I don't know if this is all Walmarts, but my local one sells Mopar-brand oil filters. Its just a matter of picking the (ideally chrysler ms-6395 certified) 5w-20 oil I prefer and the correct Mopar number filter. They have little computers in the aisle that you enter the vehicle and year and will give you the filter numbers.

I prefer synthetic over conventional. Its your preference on if conventional, blend, or full synthetic is the right choice for your driving needs.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I let my mechanic deal with the oil changes. Trying to deal with the old oil is a pain for me, not for the mechanic ?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I change my oil every 3K with conventional blend (5w-20) Castrol and a OEM Filter. I've found that doing your own oil changes allows you to inspect other systems in your car (brake checks, tire rotations, condition of fluids, leaks, tie rods, etc). It will help you become more familiar with your ride. IMO synthetic oil is not worth money.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For your oil changes do you go by the recommended oil change schedule or do you change or have your oil & filter changed sooner ?

I'm considering switching to full synthetic oil and taking my wifeys Jeep in every 4,000 miles for oil & filter changes.
I have a 2016 and I have always changed the oil every 10k miles. I used regular Walmart standard $19.99 oil change up until I got to 60k miles then I switched to synthetic. I still change at every 10k and I now have 128,000 miles. Only other maint I have done is replacing a front blinker, one headlight, two tires. I drive 150 miles a day now commuting to work. I drove Uber for about a year in Los Angeles.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I change the oil in wifeys' 2015 Patroit every 5000 miles and use 5W30 Dino oil, not synthetic.Why?? Cause the motor runs quieter using the Dino oil verses using the synthetic stuff.I also use a Wix #57060 oil filter.And it hasn't used a drop of oil since switching to the Dino.The car is now just shy of the 24,000 mile mark,and the oil has been changed 5 times since owning it.The first time was at the 500 mile mark.Why?? To get the break in oil out of it.Dave!!!

101 - 120 of 139 Posts