Jeep Patriot Forums banner

81 - 100 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I contacted customer care because my dealer was insisting on oil changed 3m/5000km due to the fact ( as per dealer)They are built to fail after warranty is up.
Dealer said that the oil message light was just a timer & not to pay attention to it
As per attached letter from FIAT CHRYSLER, it could be more than a timer.

Dealer appears to be missinformed, or am I ?
Hey stinky,

According to the 2015 Jeep Patriot owner’s manual, on pg. 532 it states, “scheduled maintenance. Based on engine operation conditions, the oil change indicator message will illuminate. This means that service is required for your vehicle. Operating conditions such as frequent short-trips, trailer tow, extremely hot or cold ambient temperatures will influence when the “Change Oil” or “Oil Change Required” message is displayed. Severe Operating Conditions can cause the change oil message to illuminate as early as 3,500 miles (5,600 km) since last reset. Have your vehicle serviced as soon as possible, within the next 500 miles (805 km). Change Engine Oil at 4000 miles (6,500 km) if the vehicle is operated in a dusty and off road environment. This type of vehicle use is considered Severe Duty.”

·
Registered
48 Posts
I contacted customer care because my dealer was insisting on oil changed 3m/5000km due to the fact ( as per dealer)They are built to fail after warranty is up.
Dealer said that the oil message light was just a timer & not to pay attention to it
As per attached letter from FIAT CHRYSLER, it could be more than a timer.

Dealer appears to be missinformed, or am I ?
Our mechanic told us that it was just a timer as well on my wife's Malibu lease. Damn oil change indicator 1st came on with only 1700 miles on it. It gives a % of oil life left. :rolleyes: Mechanic said it was Chevy's way of getting extra $$. The joke is that GM has an approved list of oils but Valvoline's NOT on it. When I called Valvoline and they said that if they paid them GM would add them to the list ! It's all about the Benjamins.
I only use Valvoline with the NAPA Gold filter (made by Wix) and have never had any engine problems in 47 years of car ownership. I change oil at 3,500 with the conventional oil and 5000 with the Duralube blend.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Good evening gentlemen.I am new here so if I do or say somethin out of place,please forgive me.Ya see,I'm not very bright!! lol lol Anyways,regarding the oil change,I bought my wife a brandy new 2015 Patriot Altitude 4X4,with a 2.4 motor,with an automatic 6 speed, last April and just did my very first oil/filter change on it this AM as it only has alittle over 4000 miles showing on the clock.I used a Wix filter and 5/30 Dino oil,which is what I use in my 2014 Tacoma truck and the wife's previous 1999 Cherokee and 2010 Liberty,[both bought brandy new] the Liberty being the vehicle we traded in on the new Patriot.Infact,I use Dino oil in everything I own.So unless you do a lot of city or shot hop driving,4-5000 mile intervals should be about right.Hence if ya do a lot of miles over a short period of time, you can extend that interval even more.But if you do short mileage,like all city driving,then ya might wanna change it at 2500-3000 mile intervals.Oh I forgot to mention that I am a retired automotive equipment mechanic,retiring from my last place of employment after 35 years.But I still dable in the business which I've been in now for a total of 61 years.[I'm just a kid!! lol lol ] So like I said,I'm not very bright!! lol lol Hope that atleast gives ya a direction to go in regarding oil change intervals!! Dave!!!

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Aight, so my change oil light came on around 6,100m so I brought it in to the dealer, I had a free oil change from when I purchased my 2015 last year. Now I'm at 13,000m and no light has come on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My Patriot will get the same treatment as my Dodge Dakota which has 265,000 miles on Supertech oil every 5000 miles. Change the oil and rotate your shoes every 5000 miles, no need to relie on a "light". My light has came on 1 time and it was on the way home from my 1st oil change go figure, lol.

·
8,198 Posts
My Patriot will get the same treatment as my Dodge Dakota which has 265,000 miles on Supertech oil every 5000 miles. Change the oil and rotate your shoes every 5000 miles, no need to relie on a "light". My light has came on 1 time and it was on the way home from my 1st oil change go figure, lol.
In my experience the leading reason for the appearance of the oil change oil indicator light is because it wasn't reset at the last oil change. If it isn't on when you bring it in for the LOF, then they don't think to reset it -- so it comes on prematurely the next time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oil change

For your oil changes do you go by the recommended oil change schedule or do you change or have your oil & filter changed sooner ?

I'm considering switching to full synthetic oil and taking my wifeys Jeep in every 4,000 miles for oil & filter changes.
Its always good to change the oil once in six months so that your vehicle is perfectly conditioned. If the oil is not changed then it can result in complaint for the engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2011 Patriot which uses Amsoil Signature Series fully synthetic and is changed at 25,000 miles and the Ea filter every 15,000, I have not experienced any malfunctions at all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I change my oil every 12-15,000 miles. I always run synthetic. Have been using synthetic in all my vehicles since 1980 and I never had a problem. Changing oil every 3,000 miles is a waste of money (unless your engine is air-cooed) but it want to do it, go right ahead. Regular oil will normally last 7,500 miles. When Mobil 1 first came out it stated it would last 25,000 miles and that's what I went with. Since newer engines have tighter manufacturing tolerances and last longer, Mobil 1 as well as all syntehtic oil manufacturers have backed off on their recommend oil change intervals. The oil change light has nothing to do with changing your oil, it runs off your odometer and is used as a reminder, nothing more. I right the date and mileage of when I changed my oil on the empty container. When I change my oil the next time, I use the empty container to recycle the old oil.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just bought a slightly used ( 9,700 Miles ) 2017 Patriot 3 weeks ago and decided to change the oil yesterday for my own peace of mind... I used and will be sticking with STP SYN Full Synthetic 5W20 with an STP Extended Life 10,000 mile Oil Filter.... I will be changing oil and filter every 5,000 miles due to the fact that I do a lot of city driving and highway stop and go traffic... Austin's traffic has become ridiculous,lol..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Oil Change Questions

I just bought a slightly used ( 9,700 Miles ) 2017 Patriot 3 weeks ago and decided to change the oil yesterday for my own peace of mind... I used and will be sticking with STP SYN Full Synthetic 5W20 with an STP Extended Life 10,000 mile Oil Filter.... I will be changing oil and filter every 5,000 miles due to the fact that I do a lot of city driving and highway stop and go traffic... Austin's traffic has become ridiculous,lol..
Johnnyz73
I just got my Patriot 2017 sport 10,000 miles around last April .
Its is IMPORTANT to check your warranty ? My 84,000 mile bumper
to bumper warranty states I must change oil every 100 days or
3000 miles ! That's really only four times a year for me as I only
put 6000 miles on last year .Good luck with your Patriot !>:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Johnnyz73
I just got my Patriot 2017 sport 10,000 miles around last April .
Its is IMPORTANT to check your warranty ? My 84,000 mile bumper
to bumper warranty states I must change oil every 100 days or
3000 miles ! That's really only four times a year for me as I only
put 6000 miles on last year .Good luck with your Patriot !>:)
Just seeing this post!.. According to my owner's manual it states not to exceed 10,000 miles between oil changes... I'd NEVER go that long anyway.... As stated in my previous post, I'm using STP Full Synthetic 5W20 with an STP Extended Life 10,000 Mile Oil Filter ... I'll be changing my oil and filter every 5,000 miles so I should be good.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Can't believe it really tells you to change oil after 3000 miles or 100 days. Can you post a pic of that?

! (Continued)
pressure and an increase in oil temperature. This
could damage your engine. Also, be sure the oil fill
cap is replaced and tightened after adding oil.
Change Engine Oil
The oil change indicator system will remind you that it is
time to take your vehicle in for scheduled maintenance. Refer
to the “Maintenance Schedule” for further information.
NOTE: Under no circumstances should oil change intervals
exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km) or twelve
months, whichever occurs first.
Engine Oil Selection
For best performance and maximum protection under all
types of operating conditions, the manufacturer only
recommends engine oils that are API Certified and meet
the requirements of Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395.
American Petroleum Institute (API) Engine Oil
Identification Symbol
This symbol means that the oil has
been certified by the American
Petroleum Institute (API). The
manufacturer only recommends
API Certified engine oils.
CAUTION!
Do not use chemical flushes in your engine oil as the
chemicals can damage your engine. Such damage is
not covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have a 2012 Jeep Patriot Latitude 4x4 2.4L CVT trans. Is Quaker State 5w-20 a good oil to use, or what should I use.
That should be fine. I use Mobil 1 full synthetic in mine ($28 at Walmart for a 5 quart jug) and that allows me to change the oil twice a year or every 10K (this oil is guaranteed for 15K).

81 - 100 of 139 Posts