Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For your oil changes do you go by the recommended oil change schedule or do you change or have your oil & filter changed sooner ?

I'm considering switching to full synthetic oil and taking my wifeys Jeep in every 4,000 miles for oil & filter changes.

·
Registered
779 Posts
For your oil changes do you go by the recommended oil change schedule or do you change or have your oil & filter changed sooner ?

I'm considering switching to full synthetic oil and taking my wifeys Jeep in every 4,000 miles for oil & filter changes.
I change our Patriots' oil (Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w20, factory filter) every six months or 4-5,000 miles, usually coordinating with a tire rotation.

·
Banned
729 Posts
I use full synthetic oil.5w-20 whatever "known name brand" is cheapest on the shelf that day and a purolator oil filter. I use to change it every 6000mi but here recently i started to change every 7000-8000mi instead.I figure i had better get my moneys worth out of the high dollar synthetic oil.I never go by the "change oil reminder" that pops up in the instrument cluster either.That message is so full of BS.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Asking oil change questions is akin to asking about sex/religion/politics!

Today's oils are so far advanced compared to just 10 or more years ago. Conventional group 2+ oil is closing the gap on synthetic group 3.

Today's engines are much easier on oil with their computer controlled fuel injection, etc. ("average" daily driver car).

Oil life monitors are very sophisticated, although there have been a few instances where mfg. readjusted theirs down because they were too optimistic.

Change interval can vary widely based on vehicle and driving styles.

I am using the oil life moniter in my pat, but I will not go over 7K miles with synthetic.

Unless you are doing extreme conditions, synthetic for 4K miles is a waste, as a conventional could handle that easily (assuming non-extreme driving).

The only real way to know is to do a used oil analysis to determine the oil condition after a change.

Good luck.

·
Registered
779 Posts
My "fully synthetic" oil (Pennzoil Ultra Platinum) is getting quite brown after about 4,500 miles. Also, my wife's Pat and mine are using about 1/2 quart during this interval, although we are both under 7,000 miles on our new Jeeps (her, 6,500, mine, 4,500). I just put in the 1/2 quart left over from the initial oil change requiring 4.5qts. and get through to the next change. I am hoping that the oil consumption is normal for our new engines, but wonder when the engine will be fully broken in and not consuming oil.

We followed the manual's instruction recommending low speeds the first 60 miles, then varied speed and rpms for the first 300. I replaced both our oils at 1,000 miles and hers again at ~5,000 with a tire rotation.

I have read that so-called fully synthetic oils are not actually, "fully-synthetic." Given this, the fact that we live in Central New York state and don't put more than 5,000 miles on our Jeeps every six months, I'll spend my time and money on our do-it-ourselves oil change at these intervals and record it as a piece-of-mind investment. I simply would never stretch an oil change beyond these intervals, let alone 10,000 miles :eek:

·
Registered
143 Posts
I go 5,000 on Mobil 5000 5-w30 and Napa Gold filter. I bought my Jeep with 29,000 miles on it, it has 165,000 on it now. Must be doing something right;) The oil life monitor usually goes off within 1,000 mile of me changing it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Asking oil change questions is akin to asking about sex/religion/politics!

Today's oils are so far advanced compared to just 10 or more years ago. Conventional group 2+ oil is closing the gap on synthetic group 3.

Today's engines are much easier on oil with their computer controlled fuel injection, etc. ("average" daily driver car).

Oil life monitors are very sophisticated, although there have been a few instances where mfg. readjusted theirs down because they were too optimistic.

Change interval can vary widely based on vehicle and driving styles.

I am using the oil life moniter in my pat, but I will not go over 7K miles with synthetic.

Unless you are doing extreme conditions, synthetic for 4K miles is a waste, as a conventional could handle that easily (assuming non-extreme driving).

The only real way to know is to do a used oil analysis to determine the oil condition after a change.

Good luck.
Many high end cars routinely go over 10000 on regular and 15000 on synthetic. My 13 Accord clicked the light on at around 9000 mostly hwy miles and my old BMW an 05 called for 15000 on the Bmw approved full synthetic. No problems with either.
My "fully synthetic" oil (Pennzoil Ultra Platinum) is getting quite brown after about 4,500 miles. Also, my wife's Pat and mine are using about 1/2 quart during this interval, although we are both under 7,000 miles on our new Jeeps (her, 6,500, mine, 4,500). I just put in the 1/2 quart left over from the initial oil change requiring 4.5qts. and get through to the next change. I am hoping that the oil consumption is normal for our new engines, but wonder when the engine will be fully broken in and not consuming oil.

We followed the manual's instruction recommending low speeds the first 60 miles, then varied speed and rpms for the first 300. I replaced both our oils at 1,000 miles and hers again at ~5,000 with a tire rotation.

I have read that so-called fully synthetic oils are not actually, "fully-synthetic." Given this, the fact that we live in Central New York state and don't put more than 5,000 miles on our Jeeps every six months, I'll spend my time and money on our do-it-ourselves oil change at these intervals and record it as a piece-of-mind investment. I simply would never stretch an oil change beyond these intervals, let alone 10,000 miles :eek:
Color of oil means nothing. The ambulances I used to service and both my diesel MBZ turned the oil black as soon as you fired them up.

·
Registered
57 Posts
we are both under 7,000 miles on our new Jeeps (her, 6,500, mine, 4,500).
:eek:
I remember when we both bought our 2014's at about the same time....I run Mobil one full syn 5-30 with a WIX oil filter and I will change it once a year which for me is about 4 to 5K miles....What ever the gauge on the dash says is meaningless to me......I also changed mine to Syn at 1,000 miles and I currently have 2,200 miles on mine....Hope your liking yours as much as I do mine!

·
Mopar or no car!!!
1,719 Posts
Every 5000 keeps in simple. I was using Valvoline Full Syn for the first 35,000 miles and switched to Royal Purple soon after that. I have gone 7000 miles before once using Royal Purple and it seemed alright but I was a little nervous. Since I live in a hot climate I will likely stick to my 5000 mile service. Spend a little extra on a nice filter too if you can.

Every other oil change I do a tire rotation and check a few other things.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I go by the manual. I do mostly highway miles. Every 8k the change oil warning normally comes on at about 7500-7800 This is the first car that I haven't used synthetic I am doing this only to cut costs. Hopefully I won't regret that

·
Mopar or no car!!!
1,719 Posts
Today's top brands of conventional oil are great as long as you change them frequently and use a good filter. I personally wouldn't do it in my Jeep though, but I drive a lot of hills and in extreme heat 6-7 months of the year. I like using very high quality oil as a form of cheap insurance so I don't have to worry about a dirty engine becoming problematic. I wouldn't drive over 4000 with any conventional, and no more than 8000 on a high quality synthetic, just my personal preferences.

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
I do my oil changes when the "Change Oil" message appears in the dash. I do this because I still have a lifetime power train warranty to maintain, and I don't know what type of logging the computer retains. When I was travelling further for work, this used to be a 5200-5800 mile interval. Now that my driving is only about 10 minutes of stop and go, this has reduced to 2800-3400 miles. So if anyone doubts whether the oil life monitor works, I can confirm that it does. Either that or the last time the dealer had it they changed something in the programming.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Maybe the Mods will stickey this thread! ;-)

·
Not Sponsored
6,879 Posts
I change mine every 3k miles and my oil is gross. I had a mechanic do it last time and he said it was extremely bad and I was right at 3k miles. He recommended I run full synthetic from now on and keep a very close eye on it.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts