Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have read through a lot of posts and it seems a lot of people have had a clicking/ticking/knocking sound coming from their engines that have a wide variety of causes and solutions so I am looking for guidance on my issue.

I have 120k miles on my pat and recently noticed an intermittent ticking that seems to get worse while accelerating.

The ticking shows up at both startup and while engine is warm. It is more noticeable at lower RPMs. The check engine light is not lit at all.

I cange the oil every 2,500 to 3,000 miles. The CVT fluid is changed every 30,000 miles. I changed the spark plugs 30,000 miles ago and again this morning because I saw someone say that they should be replaced every 15,000 miles and they're easy and cheap so I figured "why not". I had the oil changed 500 miles ago and the dipstick is still showing the oil at a good level. No oil leaks. I had the shop that did my oil change add in some lucas high milage oil stabilizer and I added a lucas high mileage fuel system treatment addative hoping that would clean any gunk or deposits.

I went and bought a mechanics stethoscope to try and isolate the location of the ticking... I can hear it all over the place -some areas worse than others. I'm attaching a picture of my engine with colors on it where I can hear the ticking. Red for loudest, yellow for not as loud and green for little to no ticking.

I touched it to every pully and part that I could get to that was attached to the serpentine belt and the farther down I got the less ticking I heard.

I'm really hoping this will be a realtively inexpensive fix but I'm starting to get worried.

Also I am not the original owner so, per the 2 closest jeep dealers, the lifetime powertrain warranty is no longer valid.

Any info or next steps would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Looks like the pcv valve has never been changed. I can't imagine it causing a tick, but one never knows.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Yes, that is it. I assume it was factory installed because of the blue-gray paint line (slightly mis-matched) that they apply at the factory. A locally purchased aftermarket part will probably work o.k.. But, on other forums that I frequent that include professional mechanics, the consensus is that aftermarket parts quality has taken a huge dive and often it is better to pay a few dollars more for OEM. Companies like MOOG and Timken have really dropped in quality since they moved production overseas. Sorry for the rant!

I Googled "PCV cause tick?" and there is a slight possibility there. Be careful working the rubber boot off to avoid breaking anything.

In this tutorial you can see a pinkish paint line: Jeep Patriot PCV Valve Replacement Guide - 2007 To 2016 Model Years - 2.0L I4 Engine - Picture Illustrated Automotive Maintenance DIY Instructions

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, that is it. I assume it was factory installed because of the blue-gray paint line (slightly mis-matched) that they apply at the factory. A locally purchased aftermarket part will probably work o.k.. But, on other forums that I frequent that include professional mechanics, the consensus is that aftermarket parts quality has taken a huge dive and often it is better to pay a few dollars more for OEM. Companies like MOOG and Timken have really dropped in quality since they moved production overseas. Sorry for the rant!

I Googled "PCV cause tick?" and there is a slight possibility there. Be careful working the rubber boot off to avoid breaking anything.

In this tutorial you can see a pinkish paint line: Jeep Patriot PCV Valve Replacement Guide - 2007 To 2016 Model Years - 2.0L I4 Engine - Picture Illustrated Automotive Maintenance DIY Instructions

I went and got a pcv valve and when I opened the hood to do the replacement it there is a crack in the hose that leads to it. Do you know a part number for that hose?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok. PCV valve and hose replaced. It hasn't lessened the ticking but it has helped me isolate it better with the stethoscope. The ticking is now clearly loudest in the red area of the picture below.

·
8,362 Posts
The first thing a click makes me think of is a valve. That is major work. I've not had experience with this but on the cheaper side could it be a fuel injector?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The first thing a click makes me think of is a valve. That is major work. I've not had experience with this but on the cheaper side could it be a fuel injector?
Based on where the sound is the loudest it might be an injector but I don't know how to verify it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So I have read through a lot of posts and it seems a lot of people have had a clicking/ticking/knocking sound coming from their engines that have a wide variety of causes and solutions so I am looking for guidance on my issue.

I have 120k miles on my pat and recently noticed an intermittent ticking that seems to get worse while accelerating.

The ticking shows up at both startup and while engine is warm. It is more noticeable at lower RPMs. The check engine light is not lit at all.

I cange the oil every 2,500 to 3,000 miles. The CVT fluid is changed every 30,000 miles. I changed the spark plugs 30,000 miles ago and again this morning because I saw someone say that they should be replaced every 15,000 miles and they're easy and cheap so I figured "why not". I had the oil changed 500 miles ago and the dipstick is still showing the oil at a good level. No oil leaks. I had the shop that did my oil change add in some lucas high milage oil stabilizer and I added a lucas high mileage fuel system treatment addative hoping that would clean any gunk or deposits.

I went and bought a mechanics stethoscope to try and isolate the location of the ticking... I can hear it all over the place -some areas worse than others. I'm attaching a picture of my engine with colors on it where I can hear the ticking. Red for loudest, yellow for not as loud and green for little to no ticking. View attachment 92779

I touched it to every pully and part that I could get to that was attached to the serpentine belt and the farther down I got the less ticking I heard.

I'm really hoping this will be a realtively inexpensive fix but I'm starting to get worried.

Also I am not the original owner so, per the 2 closest jeep dealers, the lifetime powertrain warranty is no longer valid.

Any info or next steps would be greatly appreciated.
Hi! I have Patriot 2014 2.4 2wd and I have 120k miles and have same sound for about 3 days. If I'll find out what it is I'll let you know.
Do you have that sound every time when you start car?!

·
Registered
16 Posts
that red line is def the fuel rail for the injectors. not sure how'd you "test" them. haven't replaced them on mine...yet....but did on a Chevy Cobalt several years ago and it was SOOOO easy. for the cobalt the injectors weren't very expensive at all either. if you end up changing them out i'll be curious if the tick goes away. This summer i was having a rattle/grinding and ended up changing out both idler pulleys, tensioner, and alternator pulley. It stopped sounding like the motor was about to fall out of it, but now i've got a chirping sound/squeaky wheel sound happening. Never ends...but seems like the sound is not happening now that it's getting colder..50s. Seems to be running fine otherwise so haven't spent a ton of time & energy investigating or researching that one. mines a 2010 CVT with 150k

1 - 10 of 10 Posts