Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2016 Patriot with the 2.4 engine 85k miles I have been dealing with some puzzling issues and I an hoping someone here has dealt with something similar.

The issues are at startup but they are not consistent......the majority of the time things go perfectly smooth but every once in awhile it gives me issues and it presents in different ways I get 1 of 3 issues:

I can occasionally turn the key and nothing happens (dash lights and radio are on) if I back the key off and try again it turns over fine.

Sometimes it turns over fine but feels "hard" if that makes sense like the engine kind of bucks or knocks to the point you feel it in the floor boards but runs fine.

Other times I turn the key and it turns over longer than normal maybe 5 or 6 revolutions before it fires are when it fires the engine runs really rough for maybe 10 seconds then things level out and it runs fine.

Battery terminals are clean, spark plugs changed 10k miles ago......I'm not sure where else to start..... weak battery, starter or fuel pump going bad, electrical issue?

Thanks!

· Registered
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport
5,470 Posts
My ignition switch started doing funky starts several months back. I'd get a click or sometimes a single revolution and a click. I took it apart, cleaned the contacts and regreased it and it's been fine ever since. Never a rough idle though.

· Registered
176 Posts
On our '15, my wife would often complain of similar symptoms when it was less than a year old where she would turn the key, all dash lights and radio would have power, but dead silence. I checked out all the connections and battery at the time and told her to take it into the dealer under warranty. Turns out it was a faulty Wireless Control Module behind the ignition switch. Was fairly common on later ones, as dealer said parts were on national backorder. Took a couple months, but they did replace under warranty. Luckily, it wasn't happening too frequently before it got replaced, and she was able to key dance it off/on a few times when it did occur and was always able to get it started.

· Administrator
8,786 Posts
On our '15, my wife would often complain of similar symptoms when it was less than a year old where she would turn the key, all dash lights and radio would have power, but dead silence. I checked out all the connections and battery at the time and told her to take it into the dealer under warranty. Turns out it was a faulty Wireless Control Module behind the ignition switch. Was fairly common on later ones, as dealer said parts were on national backorder. Took a couple months, but they did replace under warranty. Luckily, it wasn't happening too frequently before it got replaced, and she was able to key dance it off/on a few times when it did occur and was always able to get it started.
Just curious, do you remember if the red security LED came on when this was happening?

Vehicle Speedometer Car Plant Gauge

1 - 11 of 11 Posts