Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have a 2016 Jeep Patriot Sport 2.0 CVT, and I want to get a Bluetooth OBD2 dongle.

The main thing I want to do is create extra keys with JScan because I only have one and don’t want to pay $200 at the dealership. But, I would also like to change tire size because my stock tires are 205’s and I have 235’s which are about 1.7” larger in diameter. Another thing I’d like but isn’t necessary is constant connection to use with an app like Torque to get real-time info, but I have concerns about battery drainage.

I searched the forum and found some relevant info, but not a lot.

Ok, so first off, does anybody have a recommendation for a good budget scanner? I just want something tried and tested that works to do the JScan mods I want. I’m considering a VeePeak mini just because it’s $12 on Amazon and I mainly just want the JScan stuff done. Long term reliability isn’t absolutely necessary, but I always prefer long lasting quality, I don’t like creating unnecessary e-waste.

Second question: Has anybody successfully changed tire size with JScan? There was somebody from a 2021 post that said they had major errors when they tried, but I’ve seen a YouTube video where they mentioned they changed the tire size with Jscan and didn’t mention any issues. Maybe it was user error or JScan has been updated since?

Third question: Is the OBD2 on the Patriot constantly connected to power? And if so, is there a low power module you recommend? I’d like to use Torque, but I’m concerned about battery drain if I leave it plugged in. I’ve considered getting an UltraGauge module for real time info, but since I’m already buying a Bluetooth OBD2 module for JScan, might make more sense to just use Torque.

Any help is appreciated!

· Registered
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport
5,470 Posts
I just bought the Vgate iCar Pro Bluetooth 4.0 to initialize a junk yard abs controller with great success and it does seem to power itself down once the vehicle is off. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XGB4873?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
It was one of the recommendations from the jscan site. Haven't tried changing my tire size on it yet, but it's on the to do list.

· Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
2,535 Posts
I have both the VeePeak and the Vgate iCar Pro. I keep the VeePeak plugged into my Patriot constantly and have never had an issue, it's been plugged in since 2016. I have it paired with my Android head unit and use it in conjunction with Torque Pro. Works great. The Vgate is paired with my phone and is used for troubleshooting issues with my Patriot, as well as other vehicles.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was one of the recommendations from the jscan site.
Didn’t even cross my mind to check the Jscan site for recommended scanners, thanks!

Alright, good to know that neither of these will drain the battery, even with an Android HU. I have one installed too, the Teyes CC3, which does stay powered on in a sleep mode for a few hours I think, so I was worried that two active electronics might be too much for the battery.

I have both the VeePeak and the Vgate iCar Pro.
Any reason you have two? Is it just for the convenience of not having to unpair/re-pair after each use, or are there differences in functionality?

· Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
2,535 Posts
Any reason you have two? Is it just for the convenience of not having to unpair/re-pair after each use, or are there differences in functionality?
Yeah, it's just for the convenience.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went with VeePeak, and it worked great! I got two new keys programmed. Now I don’t have to stress about losing my only key.

Haven't tried changing my tire size on it yet, but it's on the to do list.
I just tried and it gave me major trouble codes and could only drive in limp mode. There was another post about changing tire size on here and it helped me reset everything. Pretty sure it’s a no-go, at least for CVT’s. Oh, well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts