Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday, I replaced the front driver side control arm with a Moog one that was a pain to install. After I greasing up the ball joint today, I took it for a test drive and when accelerating at higher speeds, there's now a new sound coming from that area. I know that the axel slipping out is a concern when but I inspected it and it didn't appear to be separated at all nor does it have any play/wiggle when I try to shake it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
61 Posts
So yesterday, I replaced the front driver side control arm with a Moog one that was a pain to install. After I greasing up the ball joint today, I took it for a test drive and when accelerating at higher speeds, there's now a new sound coming from that area. I know that the axel slipping out is a concern when but I inspected it and it didn't appear to be separated at all nor does it have any play/wiggle when I try to shake it. Any ideas?
What does it sound like? Have you realigned the wheels yet?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not yet and I want to say it's either a vibrating or grinding sound. Thinking about it, I might take out the bolts and put some anti-seize (forgot to do that during the replacement) and then torque them down again. I'll get an alignment but it appeared to be find during the test run.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yesterday I took off the plastic brush guard and this morning drove to the gym. Still nothing unusual about the axel so I think it most likely is either the alignment or the bearing that either got damaged during the replacement or were already bad and something internal got knocked loose so now it’s more audible. Ill keep y’all updated!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update to the update. On my 90 minute drive to work, the noise is gone. Noises fixing themselves is both relieving and troubling. I’ll probably still replace the steering knuckle assembly (no hydraulic press) though. Either Mopar or Dorman, and also a front end alignment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts