Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon,
I am trying to go through trying to figure out what I need to get on my 2014 Sport. I only have defrost, the temp control works just fine, not sure what is needed for the selection of Vent, floor, any of the combos in between. I have a blend door actuator in hand that was left in it when I bought it. What would cause me to only get heat out of the defrost? I cant complain as its getting cold in Alaska, but would like to be able to have it come out of the vents once in a while.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Patriot, North Ed.
338 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong

If a blend door was left in the vehicle, one would expect that the previous owner felt a blend door was needed to be replaced. Not an easy job unfortunately.

With a live data scan tool you can see if the knobs on the panel are causing a signal to be sent to the computer to change the position of the blend door. If not, than the HVAC module needs to be changed.

You can look for codes related to the HVAC system with a scan tool. If none exist you can use a scan tool to calibrate the HVAC. This will either fix your problem or cause a code for the blend door.

If you have a code for the blend door it could be the motor ... Which I heard is easy enough to change after removing the glove box. It could be a jammed blend door ... Maybe there is a way to clear it with compressed air? Or the door is broken ... Which will not be an easy repair (involving removing the dash)

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
1,196 Posts
Since you already have the blend door actuator, I'd start off by replacing that. It's fairly easy to do.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I need to better describe this, I have heat but only out of defrost. What is the module needed to get the selector to move the selector that rotates behind the glove box?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That would be the mode door actuator:
Thats the clip I literally just watched before heading out to take the glove box out. Do they use the same actuator or are they different? Also getting to that upper right bolt is going to be real fun, I got 2 of the 3 out at the moment.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone got any tips or tricks for getting the upper right bolt/screw out of the mode selector side (glove box side), I just found out they are the same actuator (which helps extremely) but I had a heck of a time getting the lower right out. Im a bigger guy, and cant quite get my hands in that space or stay contorted very long to try.

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
1,196 Posts
I've never had the need to look at the mode door actuator, so unfortunately I won't be of any help with that. But I feel your pain and frustration with trying to get to it. To do the blend door actuator in mine I had to recline the drivers seat and lay on it with my head on the floor to get at it. Took me longer to get out of there than it took me to replace it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Would removing the blower motor and housing give me enough room to do it? I dont know as Im once again not where it is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts