Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, on my 07 the fog lights are not working. The bulbs are good. I believe the switch is good as it lights the indicator in the dash when turned on. The grounds are fine also. Ive tested them with the meter and are good. There is just no power getting to the socket. I do know that the front bumper was pulled off the car in the past. As in caught on something and ripped off. So Im figuring either a broken wire (on both sides?) or my favorite answer, the tipm. Is there a fuse or any specific wire I should be checking for in the tipm? Do I unclip it, pull off the plugs on the bottom and check for corrosion? This tipm is a mystery to me. Im used to checking relays and stuff. I have googled it and usually find an answer like check the tipm but I dont know exactly what I should be checking .

· Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
2,535 Posts
I've had the front bumper off of my '14 far more than i'd ever want to. There is a single wire harness running from the body out to the bumper cover, with a single connector. Connected to the bumper cover itself there is a harness that runs to both fog lights. That harness is plugged into the connector from the harness running from the body.

If the bumper cover got ripped off of the vehicle, then it's probable that one of those harnesses or the connector got damaged. You'll need to take your multimeter and check all associated wires for continuity.

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your posts. I now have some direction to look into.So youre saying that the fog lights have a harness connected to the bumper that plugs into a plug on the body harness? Do you know if this plug is accessible without taking the bumper off?

· Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
2,535 Posts
At least on my '14, you can get to it thru the right side wheel well liner. There should be 3 plastic clips and 3 screws that need to be removed from the front side of the liner, then you'll be able so pull back the front 1/3 of it.

Here's a video showing how to get the liner opened:

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ha. My liner is completely missing in the front. I do see all the harnesses there.So youre saying that the plug for the fog light harness is accessible in that area? Mines an 07 so the fog lights are located differently than the 12. If I can find that plug I can remove it and be able to check the light harness for continuity. and If theres power at the plug. Thanks for your help.

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, in looking for a diagram for the harness Ive come across the actual factory harness for sale at numerous places. It seemed strange to me that if the harness got disconnected that the grounds would still register as good. By looking at the harness I can see now that the ground does not pass through the plug but is its own wire that bolts to the body. That makes more sense now. Now to find that pesky plug.

· Registered
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport
5,470 Posts
Worst case scenario is tap into the low beam headlight circuit to trigger your own relay and externally power the fogs.

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, I actually have a code stored in the bcm for fog lights. Its b1661 which is front fog lamp control circuit open. Hmm sounds like another broken wire. Also one of the relays in that relay box under the tipm is for the fog lamps. Its labeled lamps in some diagrams or spare in others. I guess it depends if you actually have fog lamps as an option on your patriot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts