Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, decided to register here after browsing the general subforum for some time. My 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe just died on me and I feel like its time to cut my losses and move on. As I browse the local offerings of Used SUV/Crossovers, Patriots keep popping up in my price range with low mileage compared to other similarly priced vehicles (i.e Escapes, Equinox, Trax, etc.)

While there are definitely seem to have been some issues with the Patriot line in the past, the 2015 Patriot Sport I am scheduled to look at tomorrow afternoon has the 6 speed which is a plus based on my research and the VIN does not show up as having any outstanding recalls. Assuming no rust and it drives well I very well might try to walk away with it.

Is there anything in particular I should be on the look out for or potentially ask about? Being the passionate owners of this particular line on Jeep I thought you may be able to offer some wisdom in that regard.

In any case, Im appreciative of all the information available here and look forward to participating in the community if I do indeed make the purchase.

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
1,493 Posts
Welcome! Take a peek underneath and inspect the front and rear subframes for rust. A significant minority of Patriots develop rust issues with them, especially in the northeast, and it's quite expensive to get repaired.

·
Use the SEARCH feature
1,604 Posts
Welcome, I agree, verify the subframes are not developing excessive rust

Also something to keep in mind, does it have a sunroof?
If so, there is the possibility that the drain tubes may be becoming plugged. It's just something to keep an eye on.

Otherwise good luck with the test drive!

·
Administrator
6,745 Posts
Welcome!

What they said ^^^^^^.

Also, give the suspension the "bounce" test and listen for clunks and creaking which could be worn bushings. Check for leaking struts.
When you do the test drive, try hitting some bumps again listening for clunks and creaking. If clunking is in the front it could be sway bar links or bushings, but could also be a bad ball joint.

Make some slow, full-lock turns in the parking lot and listen for tire chirping from the rear wheels which could indicate a bad rear wheel bearing, something that is not uncommon on Patriots.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the recommendations. I will be sure to keep an eye and ear out for all of those. Really hoping it looks good.

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
8,897 Posts
I agree with all the above. Don't be dejected if you find a problem early on. The last owner sold/traded it for a reason. Get past that and you should have a good vehicle. My present Patriot is in the 160s with nothing but typical maintenance so far. My previous Patriot made it past 250,000 -- was still running fine when I sold it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Picked her up today. 2015 Sport with the 6 speed automatic transmission. 77k miles. Got a 3 year 36k mile bumper to bumper warranty. Really appreciate all the help, very happy with the purchase.
Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Automotive side marker light Car
Tire Wheel Car Automotive side marker light Vehicle
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Vehicle
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

1 - 9 of 9 Posts