Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after a tree fell on my old truck I had to search for something new. Came across a 2012 Patriot 5 speed, with 53k miles for a good price. Picked it up today and now I guess it's time to see what happens from there! Always loved these things when I was working for a rental car company about 8 years ago. Any tips for a new Patriot owner?

·
Administrator
7,729 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum!

Aside from the usual routine maintenance, keep an eye out for sub-frame rust.

If you catch it early enough you can slow it down by spraying Fluid Film or similar on the sub-frames (inside and out) once a year, and you'll probably avoid having to replace them.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,964 Posts
Well, you don't need to worry about a CVT since you don't have one, but keep an eye out for typical Chrysler suspension problems. I think Moog is still about as good as you can get on that front. Manual transmission could probably still use a little preventative maintenance, though of course it won't be as touchy as the alternative that I'm known for liking so much.

Spark plugs could use a double-check. Some Patriots like mine can run on double-platinums if they're gapped right, so you don't need to change them quite so often. Other owners swear their ride won't run good on anything but the NGK coppers that the factory puts in.

Maybe give the brakes a quick look just to be safe. Mine is probably just an odd case, but the rear brakes started scraping what was left of the pad against the rotor at 32k-ish miles, and the front brakes needed replaced not long after. I've had to replace pads and rotors a few times since, even calipers a couple times. But others say that their original brakes from the factory lasted 100k+ miles. I'm closing in on 140k.

And of course, you probably know about the tire wear bars inside the tread. When the time comes for new rubber, assuming you're planning on leaving the pavement, I've got Cooper AT3's in 215/65/17(stock size for my FD1 because tire/wheel group, and all FD2's) and I love them. Didn't even have to recalibrate the computers. Not too heavy, good traction for what I do, very well-balanced tire. But if you don't mind extra weight, don't mind adjusting the computers or just having the speedometer and odometer showing the wrong numbers, and just want the beefiest possible tire in the biggest possible stock size, then you'll probably want BFGoodrich KO2's in 225/65/17, which is the biggest known size that any tire can fit without rubbing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, you don't need to worry about a CVT since you don't have one, but keep an eye out for typical Chrysler suspension problems. I think Moog is still about as good as you can get on that front. Manual transmission could probably still use a little preventative maintenance, though of course it won't be as touchy as the alternative that I'm known for liking so much.

Spark plugs could use a double-check. Some Patriots like mine can run on double-platinums if they're gapped right, so you don't need to change them quite so often. Other owners swear their ride won't run good on anything but the NGK coppers that the factory puts in.

Maybe give the brakes a quick look just to be safe. Mine is probably just an odd case, but the rear brakes started scraping what was left of the pad against the rotor at 32k-ish miles, and the front brakes needed replaced not long after. I've had to replace pads and rotors a few times since, even calipers a couple times. But others say that their original brakes from the factory lasted 100k+ miles. I'm closing in on 140k.

And of course, you probably know about the tire wear bars inside the tread. When the time comes for new rubber, assuming you're planning on leaving the pavement, I've got Cooper AT3's in 215/65/17(stock size for my FD1 because tire/wheel group, and all FD2's) and I love them. Didn't even have to recalibrate the computers. Not too heavy, good traction for what I do, very well-balanced tire. But if you don't mind extra weight, don't mind adjusting the computers or just having the speedometer and odometer showing the wrong numbers, and just want the beefiest possible tire in the biggest possible stock size, then you'll probably want BFGoodrich KO2's in 225/65/17, which is the biggest known size that any tire can fit without rubbing.
Oh I planned on going over everything in even more detail once I get possession of it on "hopefully" tuesday. Tires that were on it looked like they were in pretty good condition. Brakes felt good, but again, i'll check that out too along with filters and oil.

·
Registered
2016 Latitude 2x4, 5 speed manual
44 Posts
I know its been mentioned already but deff check the plugs. Actually as cheap as they are you should probably just replace them. If they are the OEM copper then they need to be replaced every 30k and the car runs like crap on them once youve gone beyond. Your car is close to 60k so gonna be due soon anyway. I run Iridiums in mine and they are great in the car, plus you dont have to worry about changing every 30k. They are rated for 100K

1 - 5 of 5 Posts