Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm planning an install of an aftermarket radio in my 2012 Latitude. I'll have 2 USB (rear) ports on the new head unit, and am trying to determine where to put them. One will go in the default OEM location in the glovebox, but that's pretty inconvenient. I'd like for the other to be somewhere near the center of the dash or center console. Replacing the 12v cigarette lighter is an option, but then that leaves me with no 12v outlet at all.

Who has added USB ports, where did you put them, and what did you use to keep it looking clean and stock?

·
Registered
271 Posts
You should check the specs of the unit to see whether or not it's worth the trouble to go through with it, as many don't have USB ports that go 1-2.1 amps, which is what is needed for cellphone charging. If you already have an Aux Power outlet in your Latitude console, between the driver and passenger seat, just use that with a multi-port USB charger and you'll get better charging from that, than you will from a radio unit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not charging I'm interested in. It will primarily be used for Android Auto. I may plug a hard drive into the glovebox port for mp3s and movies.

·
Registered
271 Posts
It's not charging I'm interested in. It will primarily be used for Android Auto. I may plug a hard drive into the glovebox port for mp3s and movies.
Yeah, you're basically asking for trouble. The Android Auto receivers all use rear USB ports and are known to be very wonky. If you insist on moving forward, the only place I could fathom putting an accessible USB port in the existing console is down by the shifter, where there's normally buttons for the emergency flashers and heated seats. You'd need to run a ruggedized 2-3ft USB cable from the back of the unit to that area. There's often 1-2 unused control placeholders that are just the right size, though I couldn't tell you where to get a USB plug to fill that in. It's possible the Compass or Patriot Altitude has had a USB port there, but I don't know off-hand, because UConnect has always been a Bluetooth-only thing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah, you're basically asking for trouble. The Android Auto receivers all use rear USB ports and are known to be very wonky. If you insist on moving forward, the only place I could fathom putting an accessible USB port in the existing console is down by the shifter, where there's normally buttons for the emergency flashers and heated seats. You'd need to run a ruggedized 2-3ft USB cable from the back of the unit to that area. There's often 1-2 unused control placeholders that are just the right size, though I couldn't tell you where to get a USB plug to fill that in. It's possible the Compass or Patriot Altitude has had a USB port there, but I don't know off-hand, because UConnect has always been a Bluetooth-only thing.

I tried removing the panel with the flashers so i could cut a hole for usb ports, but I couldnt get the whole panel out. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I tried removing the panel with the flashers so i could cut a hole for usb ports, but I couldnt get the whole panel out. Any suggestions?
None, other than go to the Wrangler or Cherokee forums. Pretty much anything you want to know about DIY Jeep mods, you can pick up from those people since they use the same parts we have in ours. Patriot owners are not likely to do anything with their vehicles and we only know what we pick up from others in regards to doing anything since there's not really an aftermarket segment for Patriot owners to take advantage of due to lack of demand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts