Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I’m going to try and make this short and sweet for you all. I have a 2015 Jeep Patriot Sport that has FWD on it. The front brakes have disc brakes and the rear brakes have drum brakes. A family member of mine took the car into a Jiffylube to get a oil change and they come back saying that they recommend the car needing new rear drum brakes. Also that the battery is “bad and needs replacing” I don’t know about you but it sounds a little suspicious to me. The fact that the car only has 60k miles on it doesn’t seem like enough miles to need new rear brakes. I’ve heard that drum brakes last longer then disc brakes ESPECIALLY if the drum brakes are in the rear. Mistake me if I’m wrong but don’t you actually have to take the rear wheel off the car THEN take the drum cover off the drum brake to actually see the condition of the pads? If so I highly doubt a Jiffylube took off the rear tires and drums to look at the pads... what’s your opinion? Personally I think it’s a whole bunch of bs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just got an update, the guy who was servicing the vehicle was insisting that the car had DISC brakes instead of DRUM brakes in the rear. This didn’t make sense to my family member, so when they confronted him about it they asked “Why doesn’t the rear brakes look like the front-end disc brakes if that were the case?” And he apparently froze up... which immediately tells me this guy doesn’t know what he’s talking about. So I’m going to assume that the rear drum brakes are fine.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I replaced my rear drum brake shoes at about 60,000 miles. I was surprised also, but I have read that some vehicles have rear bias systems that cause this. Or, maybe the low EE friction rating of the rear shoes means they are a bit on the soft side? My drums had very little wear and I had no problem re-using them. Here's a few pics:

Click on picture to open up bigger view.

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
1,197 Posts
If they didn't actually check them, then they have no way of knowing. But 60k is getting up there, so I'd get them checked if I were you. Brakes wear differently for everyone and every car, so it's nearly impossoble to say that "they should be fine at 60k".

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey everyone,

I’m going to try and make this short and sweet for you all. I have a 2015 Jeep Patriot Sport that has FWD on it. The front brakes have disc brakes and the rear brakes have drum brakes. A family member of mine took the car into a Jiffylube to get a oil change and they come back saying that they recommend the car needing new rear drum brakes. Also that the battery is “bad and needs replacing” I don’t know about you but it sounds a little suspicious to me. The fact that the car only has 60k miles on it doesn’t seem like enough miles to need new rear brakes. I’ve heard that drum brakes last longer then disc brakes ESPECIALLY if the drum brakes are in the rear. Mistake me if I’m wrong but don’t you actually have to take the rear wheel off the car THEN take the drum cover off the drum brake to actually see the condition of the pads? If so I highly doubt a Jiffylube took off the rear tires and drums to look at the pads... what’s your opinion? Personally I think it’s a whole bunch of bs.

View attachment 93858
i had to replace my shoes at 60k because they were squealing. went with napas. if yours is like mine you should use organic not semi metallic. dealer sold me magnetti merelli pads for the front. theyre semi metallic & they are causing the fronts to lock up and abs to come on on dry pavement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts