Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought a used 2015 Jeep Patriot High Altitude about 8 weeks ago. The vehicle has 78,000 miles and has service records showing regular maintenance.
I’m wondering is this vehicle just loud in general? When accelerating it is quite loud and there is a bit of vibration. Also it has almost no pick up whatsoever. Getting on the freeway on-ramp I always feel bad for people behind me since it takes so long to get up to speed. However once up to speed it runs smoothly and the power seems normal. But then if I need to pass it does take some time to increase speed enough to surpass another vehicle. I sort of assumed this was normal as a friend had an older model Jeep Cherokee that was fairly loud.

However now I’m really concerned this isn’t normal and could be a transmission issue. We have no warranty on it and we’re not in a position to be able to handle any expensive repairs. I’m fairly handy with certain vehicle repairs but have never done any transmission work.
Does anyone have any insight they can share?

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Patriot FDI 150k+ miles
101 Posts
I have a 2015 Sport 4x4 with 155k miles. It has never really been a fast car, but I also baby it a little. Im actually considering getting a sticker that just say “Not Fast” and slap it on the back. If you are good with car work and maintain it well, it will last a while. I take it easy around the ramps on to the highway. The people behind me can wait, I’m just cruising and enjoying some music.

·
Administrator
8,242 Posts
@TeamByrd4, welcome to the site.

Patriots as a whole are more of an economy model, so they don't have a lot of sound proofing like more upscale models do.

Since you just got it, you might check to see if someone replaced the stock air filter box with an aftermarket CAI, or maybe removed the intake duct (w/ baffle for noise reduction) that connects the airbox to the inlet.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive air manifold Automotive exterior Auto part

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
9,471 Posts
I've had 2 Patriots. My first had a 2.4/CVT and it was OK for acceleration but the CVT had sort of a rubber-band effect of first revving up the engine and then the highway speed would catch up with the engine speed. My 2014 Patriot is a 2.0/5-spd and it is definitely slower.

My first car was a Ford Falcon so everything else seems fast by comparison. However it was nice getting 30+MPG during the first gas crisis. Same thing with Patriots: they aren't snappy, but they're easy on fuel.

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Patriot FDI 150k+ miles
101 Posts
I've had 2 Patriots. My first had a 2.4/CVT and it was OK for acceleration but the CVT had sort of a rubber-band effect of first revving up the engine and then the highway speed would catch up with the engine speed. My 2014 Patriot is a 2.0/5-spd and it is definitely slower.

My first car was a Ford Falcon so everything else seems fast by comparison. However it was nice getting 30+MPG during the first gas crisis. Same thing with Patriots: they aren't snappy, but they're easy on fuel.
I replaced all 4 ignition coils with Duralast ones from auto-zone and I definitely feel like I get better mpg. I also don't get the morning wiff of fuel either when I start up.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
5,070 Posts
It's slow compared to a Hellcat or even an Impala, maybe fast compared to a stock Prius.

It's loud compared to a Cadillac, but not compared to a rattletrap pickup.

It holds more than a small sportscar, but less than a full-size SUV.

Better MPG than a full-size truck, not as good as many post-2000 sedans.

Kind of a Sherman tank for the modern civilian market.

If you're ok with that, you'll love it.

If your priorities are elsewhere and you "need" a dead-silent Hellcat-powered 40+ mpg rig with all the electronic gimmicks, the Patriot isn't for you.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Patriot Limited 2.4L 6spd
51 Posts
I had a 2014 Patriot with the 6 speed auto stick and 2.4L.
It had plenty of gumption.
Do you have the 2.0L or CVT ? Both ?
I surprised no one's mentioned this but that shaking studdering when accelerating but smooth at lower rpms very well might be your spark plugs.
These things run waayyy better on the old copper core spark plugs that need to be replaced every 30,000 miles or so.
I got so good at it driving 1000-1200 miles a week I could swap out the plugs in about 11 minutes.
I tried the better more expensive plugs but always had issues with the 3 different types I tried so I went back to the good old champion copper core plugs
They're only $3 each or so so not to pricey.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We bought a used 2015 Jeep Patriot High Altitude about 8 weeks ago. The vehicle has 78,000 miles and has service records showing regular maintenance.
I’m wondering is this vehicle just loud in general? When accelerating it is quite loud and there is a bit of vibration. Also it has almost no pick up whatsoever. Getting on the freeway on-ramp I always feel bad for people behind me since it takes so long to get up to speed. However once up to speed it runs smoothly and the power seems normal. But then if I need to pass it does take some time to increase speed enough to surpass another vehicle. I sort of assumed this was normal as a friend had an older model Jeep Cherokee that was fairly loud.

However now I’m really concerned this isn’t normal and could be a transmission issue. We have no warranty on it and we’re not in a position to be able to handle any expensive repairs. I’m fairly handy with certain vehicle repairs but have never done any transmission work.

Is the exhaust still all intact and no clogs ect?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Have driven my '06 Hemi Daytona for over 15 years, the 2015 2.4 6-speed Patriot, and now our '21 3.6 Durango. While the Patriot is definitely the slowpoke of the bunch, it is no slouch. Having a heavy foot, I routinely dust off other little 4-cylinder SUVs that aren't turbo-charged. I have a smart-ass neighbor somewhere near me that drives a kimchee-burner SUV that leaves for work about the same time in the mornings. Aggressive little pip-squeak. On a 4-lane road leading towards the tollway, he has gotten in the left lane next to me at a light at least a few times, knowing he'll have to get over to the right in a couple blocks, each time thinking he can out accelerate me and cut me off. Nope! Always beat him by a nose or better. Think the idiot would quit trying.😂 Granted, it's just a bone-stock 2.4 4X4, but it's okay for what it is.

If you have the CVT, that could explain a lot. It it's the 6-speed auto, then I'd be looking at changing the plugs, and checking the air filter. The 2.4 should be peppier than you describe. Keep in mind that the recommended plug change on these when using stock copper plugs is 30K.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I would change Trans fluid. Should be changed every 60k miles. Also change spark plugs. Those should be changed every 30k. Also I would check yo see if there is any recalls. I know mine had one for a converter. The Patriot is not a loud vehicle. Also mine is currently at dealer (under warranty) for a new CVT transmission and trans oil cooler. Good luck!!

·
Registered
2 Posts

It kinda reminds me of my old Ford (new at the time) it actually felt as though I was driving a standard. I took it to the shop and I was in disbelief that the cause was a dirty fuel filter! They told me that computer wasn't acquire the correct mix and resulted in what you are describing. It's a thought, it fixed My issues.

·
Registered
63 Posts

Hi there Team Byrd, my 2010 with the 2.4L & CVT, I just stay out of the way of most other people on the road. But hey, I've been driving 5 miles under the speed limit since 2004-2005. I just don't drive fast & never over the posted speed limit. Now before I go one, I didn't catch the size engine you have, or what type of transmission you have. Is it the CVT? If so, they can be a problem. And sometimes mileage may not be a factor, some of those transmission just go bad....
Next that noise you're talking about, on mine, one of the reasons it's loud is I ran my hand over the top-side of the muffler & it has an area where the metal is rusted through enough that it just needs to be replaced. Also there is that section of the exhaust that is pretty much under the floor area where your passengers have their feet. That section of pipe is called the ''Resonator''... Anyone that rides with me asks me if I need to replace the exhaust system, because it's Loud, especially if they're in the back seat.....
Now as for your transmission, the CVT's have like a thick like rubber band. Before I go any further, google a CVT style trans & find some images/diagrams, showing how they work.

Although there is the chance that you do have some issues, with the mileage that your Jeep has, in my honest opinion, you should be good. If you're not in a ''Rustbelt State'', from what I've read on this forum, the likeliness of having a real problematic vehicle, should be pretty low.....

I truly Hope that you are able to get many, many more years of service out of your Jeep. I have been using Repair Pal .com to get a good idea of the issues that follow the Patriots around. What I do is go to Google & then in the Google Search Field, I enter the Make, Model & Year of the vehicle to find out what problems have been reported to them. I've found it to be great.... Believe it or not, my Patriot was the 1st vehicle that I didn't head over to Repair Pal to check on the Patriot first...... Take care my friend & welcome to the forum. And not to forget, God Bless You & Your Family & your 2015 Jeep Patriot....

The following is just me Gibber-Jabbering about my 1993 Jeep Cherokee....

Last, and this is just my opinion, look at who actually owns Chrysler Corporation. I remember back when Iaccoca was brought in to fix Chrysler. Between Iaccoca, The Minivan. The Jeep Line, (The Cherokee & The Grand Cherokee), that combination made Chrysler a major player.... Then Daimler-Benz bought Chrysler for $36 Billion in 1998. Then they decided to make the hair-brained decision to dump the original Cherokee line, but did keep that name, plus the Grand Cherokee, however when Daimler decided to add the Liberty, Compass, Patriot, into the mix, things started to change. 9 years after Daimler Benz bought Chrysler, they sold it for a whopping $7.4 Billion, or in other words, they sold the company for $28.6 Billion less than they originally paid..... Now FCA US Owns Chrysler. FCA stands for Fiat-Chrysler-Automobiles... I believe FCA is now a subsidiary of Satan Inc.... Fiat wouldn't allow Chrysler to have their own CEO because it would cost too much. So Fiat is sharing their CEO with Chrysler, well FCA US.......

Today, my 2010 Jeep Patriot holds a lot of my Hand Tools & Power Tools, so my Son's & Grandson don't have to search the garage for any tools for working on stuff, now they just pop the Rear Hatch & Boom-Tools!!!

Good luck with your Jeep. I hate to sound like Johnny Rain Cloud, However, I would have jumped off the Ambassador Bridge in Detroit. But by allowing it to just sit in the Driveway as a Silver 4-Door, 4-Wheel Drive Tool Chest, it Saved Me Some Serious Cash, so I took the Cash & bought a 1993 Jeep Cherokee.

The first 27 Years of XJ's life, Colorado Springs, Colorado was Home. Even though my XJ is a ''Real'' 4-Wheel-Drive Jeep, she was pretty much Garage-Kept during the Winters. From September 9th, 2019, it's been living in Michigan, however, it still hasn't been on the road during our Winters. In 3 1/2 month, this XJ will be 30 Years Old.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts