Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2015 jeep patriot automatic
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have trouble with the transmission shifting while on open road?Love my cheery red patriot..she looks brand new.Do all of you love yours like i love mine?Wouldn't trade it for anything!!!11g

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
1,321 Posts
No problems with mine shifting. I love my '14. It's the nicest vehicle that I've ever owned... and I've owned quite a few. But I came really close to trading it in last year.

·
Super Moderator
8,772 Posts
Welcome! Mine is a manual so it only shifts when I want it too. Since yours is an automatic it shifts when IT wants to. I don't know what you were driving before but either Patriot motor is <200hp so it doesn't take much gas to encourage a downshift.

·
Premium Member
2015 jeep patriot automatic
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anyone else have trouble with the transmission shifting while on open road?Love my cheery red patriot..she looks brand new.Do all of you love yours like i love mine?Wouldn't trade it for anything!!!11g
Thanks for helping..i just need to get used to her

·
Administrator
6,361 Posts
Hi Toby, since you have a 2015, I'll take a guess that you have the 6 speed automatic (not CVT).

Some who have had the 6AT have said that they've noticed sometimes it seems to be "hunting" for the right gear on the highway so maybe that's what's going on with yours.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My '15 shifts super well... but shortly after taking ownership of it (100k miles) I noticed what I thought was transmission misbehavior on the highway, turned out to just be old spark plugs that needed changing. After I replaced the plugs the little "hiccup" feeling on the highway went away.

That doesn't mean anyone can accurately diagnose a vehicle over the internet, but it's something you can look for on yours before freaking out about the transmission.

Also remember these transmissions claim they are lifetime filled but that's only if you like self-fulfilling prophecies. Really they should have their fluid drained and refilled at least every 60k miles in my opinion.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We have a 2015 High Altitude 2.4l with the 6 speed auto. It was bought initially for my wife. She has complained about the shift quality from day one, and has had it back to the dealer under warranty several times. Mostly, they've told her that there is nothing wrong with the way it shifts. The last time before the 5 years was up, they kept it for a couple days and supposedly re-flashed the TCM, but because it seemed to shift as it always has within a few days, I strongly suspect that they just disconnected power and re-set adaptives, which sets the shift patterns to a default and re-learns.

I now drive it full-time. The only "annoyance" is I find that the trans is programmed to shift like granny is driving. A lot of delay and overlap between upshifts. I think part of that is "torque management", to make sure to prolong the life of the trans, but other than that, it shifts ok for me, and I was used to driving a fast-shifting Hemi Daytona for 15+ years.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If I remember correctly there is both a clear adaptations function and an enable fast learn mode that - as it was explained to me - is meant to increase the rate of adaptations for newly delivered vehicles and for vehicles that are assumed to be getting test driven when new by a variety of drivers. I expect that fast learn process has an expiration or something since I have never been asked to bring a vehicle back to switch back out of fast learn mode (this is my third, 2015 model year FCA vehicle.. )

Shift quality on my 2015 really isn't anything to complain about, it works about like any other modern non-high-performance automatic I've driven in the last decade. I noticed it felt perceptively smoother after a pair of fluid changes at 100k miles when I took ownership - it wasn't rough before but it felt like shifts between the higher gears got tidier by just a tiny bit. Or wishful thinking made me imagine it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts