Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Cristian and I both an Jeep Patriot 2.4 gasoline, CVT, 2008 at third hand at 195.000 km. At that moment, the automatic gearbox had a big proble
m which I solved! For now, I am very happy with my aquisition! It seems to me the best compromise between an highway and all terrain vehicle!

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
8,896 Posts
Welcome Cristian! Glad you found us. I hope you love your Patriot as much as I do mine.

I'm curious what your big problem was with the CVT, and how you solved it. The CVT is a good transmission, but it needs more care than most people give it. Fluid and filters should be changed twice as often as the manual suggests.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome Cristian! Glad you found us. I hope you love your Patriot as much as I do mine.

I'm curious what your big problem was with the CVT, and how you solved it. The CVT is a good transmission, but it needs more care than most people give it. Fluid and filters should be changed twice as often as the manual suggests.

First of all let me thanks to all those who welcoming me! Regarding my problem with the CVT was reported at the main bearing which became almost dust and parts of it, blocked B valve of the valve block. I change the bearing and the valve and now I am very happy with my car! If you don't mind, what means twice as often manual suggest? My manual is in Greek and I did not understand a thing!

·
Administrator
6,738 Posts
The service manual recommends changing the CVT fluid at 120,000 miles /194,000 km but we have seen here that this is far too long, the factory fluid quickly breaks down with heat (causing whining and overheat/limp mode) and becomes filled with metal bits that cause damage much sooner.

Change fluid and both filters no later than 50,000 miles / 80,000 km or maybe sooner if you use factory fluid and drive in temperature extremes with mountains and towing.

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
8,896 Posts
Adding to Sandstone's reply, the reason the owners manual is OTL is that by their definition almost any Patriot is used in severe service. Most of us think we aren't using our Patriot as a taxi or a police car or towing anything, so we default to the typical service intervals. However, being operated at temps below freezing qualifies as severe service. I don't know what the high temp range is but I bet a sunny day in May qualifies. So yeah, most Patriots should follow the stricter maintenance schedule.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The service manual recommends changing the CVT fluid at 120,000 miles /194,000 km but we have seen here that this is far too long, the factory fluid quickly breaks down with heat (causing whining and overheat/limp mode) and becomes filled with metal bits that cause damage much sooner.

Change fluid and both filters no later than 50,000 miles / 80,000 km or maybe sooner if you use factory fluid and drive in temperature extremes with mountains and towing.
Thank you very much Sir! For sure I will remember that and I will change the gearbox oil at 6-7 engine change! I made a revision (with changing engine oil and filters) at each 10 - maximum 12.000 km), so the gearbox fluid will be changed at 60 - 70.000 km. I am photographer and I use my Patriot for some expedition off-road, but not in competition, that mean that I could took a longer route if the main road it seems to be to aggressive. Thank you again!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you looked online for a Patriot manual? Maybe @Sandstone can help with one. He seems to come up with great documentation.
Last night I found something that seems to be a complete Patriot manual, but I was to tired to read something! This evening I will try to see it is what I need! Thank you Sir!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Reactions: chrisoprea

·
Registered
124 Posts

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
8,896 Posts
Thanks everyone on this thread. It is great to see people from around the world come together to help another member. Makes my day!

·
Registered
2008 2.0 CDI 4x4
4 Posts
Salutare, chrisoprea! Ma bucur sa vad un conațional pe forum. Eu am un diesel din 2008. Pot sa spun ca in urma celor 20 000 km parcursi pana acuma, am ajuns la aceeași concluzie- e cel mai bun compromis off/on road. Insa mare atentie aproape toate piesele costa de zici ca ai vreun supercar.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts