Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
Just received this 2012 Jeep Patriot 4x4 from my dad before he passed away. Odometer has 56,000 miles.
Sorry for your loss. 馃槩

Welcome to our site! That's nice low mileage on your Patriot. I wish I'd kept my Dad's LeBaron.

Friendly advice: Patriots of that vintage have two weak points.
1) If you have the CVT (automatic transmission), you are due for a transmission service. The owner's manual is OTL on the scheduled maintenance.
2) Check the subframe for premature rust. Most Patriots are OK, but a significant minority have had problems -- enough that Jeep extended the frame warranty to 10 years, so you may be within the window should yours need repair.

Post a photo of your Patriot!

Again, welcome!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am bad what does OTL mean also what is the mileage should the transmission be serviced also is there a filter in there too. Thanks for the info

Administrator
OTL is Over The Line..... I think :).

On mileage between fluid and filter changes I usually recommend the factory fill changed at 30k then 30-50k thereafter depending on driving conditions. Heavier use in temp extremes means sooner changes.

There's two filters, the pan filter / pick up screen and the small paper filter that can be accessed through the left wheel well, or by removing the battery tray.

More info on fluid and filter change here:

Registered
Yep have the subframes checked while you still have warranty. They rust mostly at the highest parts and from inside out. Just looking under the car will not give you a proper idea.
I just changed the rear and its quite a job.
If they are still ok then treat them good with antirust stuff. (Not sure what products you have available in your country)

Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
I am bad what does OTL mean also what is the mileage should the transmission be serviced also is there a filter in there too. Thanks for the info
OTL in my vocabulary means Out To Lunch. What I mean is that the manual is seriously wrong -- not even close. The owners manual says the CVT fluid & filters should be changed at 120,000 miles. That is not nearly soon enough. It should be changed at least every 50,000 miles, some say sooner. My CVT did not make it to 120,000 miles. My replacement transmission got me to 270,000 miles, but the fluid got changed every 50,000.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just made a appt with the mechanic on changing the fluid. Sandstone made me aware of the 2 filters that should be changed. I did passed the info onto the mechanic

1 - 11 of 11 Posts