Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I have an '08 Patriot that I love. My brake light / turn signal lights are out, and I've purchased replacements from an auto store. However, I cannot figure out how to remove the brake lens. There are 2 plastic or rubber circles, but when I try to pry them out, they feel as if they are about to break. Is there a trick to this, or has anyone found this to be difficult? I'd hate to break the lens and have to replace it. I called the dealership, and all that they'd tell me was that they would charg me to replace the bulbd, and not show me how to remove the cover. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
just an average Joe
3,284 Posts
Ah the joys of the push-pin:

There is a large barbed pin (let's call it the "base") with a thin pin that has a large head (let's call it the "nail") inside the "base".

In order to pull those things out, you need to get a hold of the "nail". There are 2 indentations on the outer edge of the "base" that will allow you to get a flat head screw driver (I used a pair of needle nose pliers) under the head of the "nail". Begin to pry the "nail" up. Some of them come apart very easily others do not.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll give it another try. One question, the top piece (with the slot for a screwdriver) is that supposed to separate from the wider part underneath, or is the whole thing supposed to come out?

This is ridiculous though... what's wrong with a simple screw anymore?

·
just an average Joe
3,284 Posts
Thanks, I'll give it another try. One question, the top piece (with the slot for a screwdriver) is that supposed to separate from the wider part underneath, or is the whole thing supposed to come out?

This is ridiculous though... what's wrong with a simple screw anymore?
Yes, they only come out 1 piece at a time.
There are 2 pieces: the center pin "nail" is to be pulled out of the lower pin "base" first. Once the "nail" is out then you can pull out the "base" and the inner part of the taillight will be free. The outer corner of the taillight is held in place by a ball-and-socket, pull firmly but be careful not to break the ball.

The push-pin is easy to assemble and thus "saves time" on the line. It just is not easy to disassemble without experience at disassembling.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts