Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from central Florida. My wife and I recently purchased a 2007 Jeep Patriot for our son. The vehicle had just over 100K miles and over the past year has been very reliable.

It is my hope to educate myself as much as possible about the Jeep Patriot, as well as learn from the group the best way to enjoy this experience.

Thanks to everyone that contributes, and helps the next person coming along.

Warm regards,
Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I joined this forum to learn how to best service our new vehicle and get the most out of this experience. When purchased the vehicle, car fax indicated that the transmission fluid and filter had been serviced at 100K miles. My son recently came home from school and shared that his ac wasn't blowing. With some research, we realized that the blower motor had been compromised, and needed to be replaced. While situating the vehicles in my driveway, I noticed a grinding noise coming from the front end, almost under the floor board.

The noise sounds as if a bearing has been compromised, or brake pads are bad. Noise is not noticeable until you accelerate to 7-8 mph and doesn't go away until vehicle stops. Engine temperature does not run hot, and engine oil change is up to date. I did jack up the front end and there appears to be no play in tire (top to bottom, or side to side. Jeep stops well and does not appear to have worn or damaged tie rods.

Is there anything else i can do to diagnosis my situation before scheduling service in the next week. The noise almost sounds like the is a tree branch being dragged under the Jeep. Ultimately, I feel as if this is transmission related, but I will defer to those of you with much more experience.

·
8,348 Posts
First off, welcome to the site!

As for your problem, I've not read of low speed transmission noises on this site. Usually a failure occurs at higher speeds. I am one of the few who have experienced a transmission failure, but my only sound was a humming at highway speeds. My tranny was replaced under warranty and I've got 140,000 miles on my replacement.

I'd suggest getting under there and looking for anything that might be rubbing. Emergency brake? Could be a fender liner that is catching the wind and rubbing on a tire (though 8mph doesn't generate much wind). If its the service brake it should come & go as the brakes are applied or released. Start with the easy, cheap stuff before rushing off to major mechanical issues.

Finally, to you or anyone else buying a used vehicle, caveat emptor! Very often the last owner got rid of it for a reason. When buying used, keep a cash reserve for the inevitable repairs. I was a sales/service rep on the road and I usually ran my vehicles till the first sign of trouble, then I'd trade it. I just didn't have time to cope with trips to the repair shop. If someone was willing to cope with whatever I was avoiding, they'd probably have a good vehicle for many more miles to come.

Anecdotally, my uncle gave me a car when I was in high school. It was a bucket of bolts and I spent a summer fixing it up. It gave me a chance to learn all I needed to know about cars. Probably isn't so easy today, but I replaced belts, hoses, , thermostat, radiator, generator and battery to name a few in addition to the 'normal' stuff like wipers and headlights. Oh, yeah, the body work! It had a serious case of tinworm, but after patching, sanding and priming I gave it a paint job (another learning experience) and got several years out of what became a rather faithful car.

Please stay in touch and let us know how it goes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts