Jeep Patriot Forums banner

New Here. Driving my first Jeep!

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  DRipka400 
#1 ·
Hello all!

Im new to the forum and new to Jeeps. We have been driving a 2007 Chevy HHR for a long time and because I chose a while ago to never make payments on a car, we waited until we had the cash to get one.

So, we just a month ago bought a 2017 White Jeep Patriot Latitude and I love the car. Pretty much everything about it, I really like.

Unfortunately it already is having issues so luckily the car still has some warranty for the next month so I’m going to have it checked out.

Currently the auto lights will not come on at night… I have to do this manually. When driving on the freeway if I take my foot off the gas and begin to slow, if I reapply gas the car almost takes a few moments to notice and then kinda jerks. I think they call it “transmission slipping?” Not positive on that. The other thing is that currently the air conditioner and heater seem to have no power. Very strange.

So, I joined the forum to ask if there is anything else that I should have Pep Boys look at since I’m taking it in and it’s under warranty. I kinda want to find everything wrong possible. Anyway, nice to be here. It’s a beautiful car that is for sure.

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome! First off, I think you are wise to stay out of debt.

Second, most preowned vehicles are being sold because of a problem -- maybe a big one, maybe a couple small ones. That goes with the territory of being used. Once you get past those you'll probably be good to go for quite a while.

From what you describe, I don't think your transmission is slipping. Only a guess here, but it could be your spark plugs. Patriot plugs are only good for 30,000 miles so bad plugs could be causing hesitation. However, I'll let our members with more knowledge give you their suggestions on that and your other problems.

Again, welcome to the site! I hope you get these glitches fixed cheap and easy.

#4 ·
Welcome to the forum. Great news about getting your 2017 Patriot. I bought my 2017 used as well and it was bucking as I drove it from the dealer, I installed new plugs and coils and the issue went away and it runs much better even gas miles improved. As for the other issues take to the dealer if you have some warranty left on it. Just my thoughts.

#5 ·
Welcome to the group! I agree with Ignatz, first thing I'd do is change the spark plugs. Sorry, but I can't be much help with the auto headlights not working... didn't even know Patriots had that as an option.

#6 ·
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback. I will mention spark plugs and describe the issue. And yes. Problems are expected. We really liked the Patriot and so we test drove two prior to finding this one.
The first one was a base model no power anything and we have a one year old so no way it work the second one smelled like dog. It was a 2016.
This one looks great and test drive great. Of course we didn’t get on the fwy.
Only other question and perhaps the answer will be look it up, haha. But what is the largest size tires I could put on her? She’s a 2017 4.2l latitude and I’d really like so nice heavy duty tires.
Oh goodness. Something else. To use the 4x; I just pull up on the metal handle? You can be driving and switch? Not sure I e seen that. But I e been driving **** vehicles. And below the a/c is a car that is swerving? What’s this.
Thanks again Jeep homies

#7 ·
Only other question and perhaps the answer will be look it up, haha. But what is the largest size tires I could put on her? She’s a 2017 4.2l latitude and I’d really like so nice heavy duty tires.
Check out this thread: What's the largest tire I can put on factory...

Also try using the search box above where it says "Search Community."

PS, I believe the car swerving icon is the Electronic Stability Control switch.

#8 ·
Swerving button is for traction control, hold it down while under ~5mph and it'll deactivate ESC after a few seconds and notify you of such action by dinging at you. 4x4 system is kind of a hybrid AWD system. FWD unless it senses slipping tires or hard acceleration, then it can put up to I think 30% power to the rear. Pulling on the silver T-handle makes it locked in 50-50 under 35mph and regular AWD like mentioned above when above 35mph.

Gotta admit though, I love mine with power nothing. Makes it more of a Jeep as far as I'm concerned. You may not share this view or understand how I hold it and that's your call, but I don't see the point of all the fancy options on a vehicle that's supposed to give off the impression that it's simple and built to help you get away from all the fancy gizmos. Kinda hard to do that when it's all built into the vehicle. Don't get me wrong, I love the power windows and locks on my Impala, but wouldn't want such things on a Jeep. Can't seem to find anybody to yank the automatic headlight and DRL crap out of my Impala either. The way I see it, if I'm unable or unwilling to do something as simple as activate a headlight switch when it gets dark out, then I have no place using the pedals, steering wheel, blinkers, and shifter to get myself anywhere.

#9 ·
Swerving button is for traction control, hold it down while under ~5mph and it'll deactivate ESC after a few seconds and notify you of such action by dinging at you. 4x4 system is kind of a hybrid AWD system. FWD unless it senses slipping tires or hard acceleration, then it can put up to I think 30% power to the rear. Pulling on the silver T-handle makes it locked in 50-50 under 35mph and regular AWD like mentioned above when above 35mph.

Gotta admit though, I love mine with power nothing. Makes it more of a Jeep as far as I'm concerned. You may not share this view or understand how I hold it and that's your call, but I don't see the point of all the fancy options on a vehicle that's supposed to give off the impression that it's simple and built to help you get away from all the fancy gizmos. Kinda hard to do that when it's all built into the vehicle. Don't get me wrong, I love the power windows and locks on my Impala, but wouldn't want such things on a Jeep. Can't seem to find anybody to yank the automatic headlight and DRL crap out of my Impala either. The way I see it, if I'm unable or unwilling to do something as simple as activate a headlight switch when it gets dark out, then I have no place using the pedals, steering wheel, blinkers, and shifter to get myself anywhere.
I agree 100% with the patriot with no power anything. Makes it more of a jeep

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.