Jeep Patriot Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Another option would be to install a relay harness, like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Relay-Wire...2cAAOSw8ttdQKLw:sc:USPSFirstClass!14206!US!-1

I didn't realize that they made them for LED's, but I guess that they do.
So theoretically with this harness straight 12vdc goes to the LED's by way of the relays which in turn are controlled by the status (high beam/lo beam) out of the OEM plug?

But does the current drawn for each relay, going to be the correct amount expected to be seen/measured by the onboard computer as if the original bulbs are being used ?

But is the same onboard computer (that has a "FIT" when the improper or different amount of current drawn by the LED's) going to create a similar "fault" condition as to the amount of current needed (used by) the relays?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I actually just ordered these same ones and having the same problem. Plugged them in, and they blink a few times randomly back and forth from left to right and then they both shut off completely. Any idea what to do to fix this yet??

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I'm trying the relay harness solution, The resistance and capacitance jumpers (together and separate) did not work!

hxxps://www.ebay.com/itm/Relay-Wire-Harness-40A-9008-H13-Head-Light-Replacement-Connector-Ceramic-Sokcet/133129056311?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

(replace X's with t's)

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
1,320 Posts
It's funny how there are differences from vehicle to vehicle. I got the Beamtech LEDs and resistor/capacitors and didn't have a single issue with them. I then got the AppCar FCA program and set the headlight circuit to use LED/HID headlights and removed the resistors/capacitors and still have no issues. I did, however, spend quite a bit of time and money finding a setup that worked for me.

I think that other than setting the headlight circuit to use LED/HID bulbs, a relay harness would be the most surefire way to get them working correctly. I used a relay harness when I was using HID bulbs and it worked perfectly... I would still be using HIDs if the bulbs didn't burn out so fast, but when I switched to LEDs I couldn't find a relay harness that would work for LEDs.

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
1,320 Posts
The flickering is caused by the TIPM. Instead of the headlights receiving a steady 12v signal, the TIPM sends a pulsed signal. Basically, the headlights are being turned off and on 60 times a minute. That's a good thing for halogen bulbs, as it helps keep them cooler so that they will last longer. But it's a big problem for HIDs and LEDs.

Normally, a capacitor is used to "absorb" the pulses and output a steady signal. I have no idea why that doesn't work on some vehicles. However, if the capacitor doesn't work, go with a relay harness. The relay gets connected between the battery and the headlights, with the original headlight connector just used to trigger the relay. The relay is a physical switch and it has a very slow reaction time (comparatively). It cannot turn on and off fast enough to keep up with the pulsed signal, so it just stays on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine are turning off and on, not flicker.. BLINKING off and on, both sides random order and then shutting completely off

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Yes, blinking, flickering, random off and on, sometimes staying off for minutes at a time. All generally referred to as flickering when referring to headlights... at least according to the LED/HID manufacturers.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi everyone

I have the same problem, my led headlights turn off for few seconds ande then turn on (only with the engine start), ramdomly, I think it is not a flikering problem.

someone solved it? what did you do? what help and what not help?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Reactions: HaiLife

·
Registered
5 Posts
To address the blinking on and off, instead of the CANBUS adapters you're using, you need some of these: XtremeVision LED Anti Flicker Capacitors - Error Code Canceller Capacitor (1 Pair) - H13 / 9008 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06VVV7SR5/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_Fm5IDb06HP9TN

The ones that you have probably only address CANBUS errors that make the computer think that the bulb is burned out.

The cause of the blinking is that the TIPM sends a 12v PWM signal to the low-beam headlights instead of a "normal" 12 volts. Basically, it's a 12v signal that's pulsing on and off very fast. That helps to prolong the life of halogen bulbs. The high beams do not get a PWM signal, therefore, no flashing. The adapters that you get must say "anti flicker". The ones I linked are the ones that I have been using for over a year with no issues.

As you stated, the allen screw is there so you can adjust the position of the LED's in the assembly. The default position is the one you want for the Patriot for street use (and probably 99% of other vehicles that take H13 bulbs). You'll know if it's correct if the LED assembly is perfectly vertical inside the headlight housing.
Just had this problem myself and ripping my hair out for the last 1.5 hrs! Thought it was a fuse but looks like more trouble. Using the Beaman as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Over the last 2 years I've tried several different relays, anti flickers, and LED companies and still have no fix for my 2015 patriot. All work fine when the cars off or when i use bright but nothing for low beams.
Im starting to lose hope.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, I thought I was good with the XtremeVision LED Anti Flicker Capacitors - Error Code Canceller Capacitor (1 Pair) - H13 / 9008. No dice! They're out n old halogen in. I did read about the Sylvania Xtremevision and am looking into it next. ✌

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Well, I thought I was good with the XtremeVision LED Anti Flicker Capacitors - Error Code Canceller Capacitor (1 Pair) - H13 / 9008. No dice! They're out n old halogen in.
That sucks. I've been using them for a couple years now with no issues, and I do a LOT of nighttime driving since I'm on call 24/7 at work.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts