Jeep Patriot Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
What is the part number of the second, newer throttle body. Was the bent pin the reason the first throttle body did not work?

And, what relearn procedure did you use? I ask because the shop manual says you have to use a scan tool to do a relearn.

Thank you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
What is the part number of the second, newer throttle body. Was the bent pin the reason the first throttle body did not work?

And, what relearn procedure did you use? I ask because the shop manual says you have to use a scan tool to do a relearn.

Thank you.

If you look up couple of posts up I listed the relearns I used that did not work.

I was thinking about it on the way into work... The "bent pin" might have been an excuse I was given because something tells me they used a scan tool to relearn the new throttle body. All I know is I have no more lights on the dash.

As for the part number for the new throttle body... st work now but I can post it up when I get home tomorrow. I'll actually post both part numbers up.

Not sure what the deal was with the first one. The dealer told me these throttle bodies are very specific to each model. Maybe that was it or maybe my Jeep didn't like that particular part number.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
What is the part number of the second, newer throttle body.
The second one (from the dealer) was #68420395AB.

I think the mistake I made was not triple checking the part number (04891735AD) when I ordered from the first place. I trusted their drop down menus (make/model/year). I apparently was supposed to also read 9 pages of their terms and conditions where it states on line 23,489 that they do not accept returns on any part that is wired to the vehicle. Just throwing it out there but maybe that should be highlighted in CAPS on the website... Ya know, on the product page, in the cart, flashing at the top of the screen maybe. Of course...if you did that you can't rip off idiots like me with a technicality.

Anyway....my $283 fix turned into $913, but...the Jeep runs better than ever and has a bit more spunk to it when you hit the pedal.

Lesson learned. Expensive lesson.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks for the update, hopefully that will save someone a few headaches.
I accidentally pasted the old part number twice. The second TB part from the dealer has been corrected.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Wow! I poked around some of the OEM Mopar parts sites and probably would have ordered the first (wrong) part number also. Rock Auto shows three different MOPAR part numbers and they all say they fit 2007 to 2017 Patriots, without enough information to determine which one is correct for particular models. One of the Chinese aftermarket models (Standard) shows that it replaces both of your numbers.

I concur with Sandstone that your info will probably save others experiencing the same frustration. THANKS!!!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I hope it saves a few people from the week long headache I had with this.

A side note...the mopar ones come with a new harness and a wiring diagram. The original harness is completely different than the one in the box. The dealer tried selling me a harness ($59) and I told them to open the box there's one in there already. The look on their faces seeing there was... priceless.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Update for future reference:

Here's a Youtube video showing the wire colors and pin designation (minute 2:00) for the new #68420395AB throttle body. Pins 1 and 5 remain the same (vs. old TB 4891735AD), while the other four do not.

New #68420395AB throttle body wire color - pin designation according to the video instruction sheet : (beware his follow up verbal description contains confusing errors).
Pin # Wire Color
1 DBGY Dark Blue - Gray (same new vs. old)
2 DBGN Dark Blue - Green
3 BNDG Brown - Dark Green (his verbal follow up errors)
4 PKOG Pink - Yellow
5 BNOG Brown - Orange (same new vs. old)
6 BNDB Brown - Dark Blue (seems to be solid brown)

See also Sandstone's wiring diagrams here: Throttle body wiring

Note some discrepancies between video, 2007,2014 Sandstone diagrams: I.E., BR, BN, BRN = brown, OR, OG, ORG = orange, and/or color codes reversed i.e., number 5 described as BNOG (video) BROR (2007) ORG/BRN (2014), all being some brown/orange type wire.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts