Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok... I was having some of the "limp" idle issues (no engine lights whatsoever) so I figured I would just go ahead and change the throttle body this morning.

Ordered a factory throttle body since I read issues with the Amazon ones. Got it installed and my dash looks like a Christmas display.

Check Engine Light: On!
Red Lighting Bolt: Flashing!
Traction Control Light: On!

I tried TB relearn and that did not work.

Just bought a Code Reader and got the following codes...

P0222
P2135
P0123

I'm not sure how you go from no dash lights and intermittent idle issues to 3 dash lights and constant idle issues and with a brand new throttle body.

2016 Patriot Latitude 2.4L 4x4

Any help would be extremely helpful.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Patriot, North Ed.
325 Posts
Are you sure you got the right part number?

Next, are you sure the part was functional when you got it? Nothing loose and flopping around?

Are you sure that you're doing the relearn correctly?

All of the codes deal with throttle position sensor. Did you remember to plug all of the wires back on the throttle body?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sure you got the right part number?

Next, are you sure the part was functional when you got it? Nothing loose and flopping around?

Are you sure that you're doing the relearn correctly?

All of the codes deal with throttle position sensor. Did you remember to plug all of the wires back on the throttle body?
When I ordered it...it said it was compatible with my Patriot.

The part seemed solid. No rattling, etc.

I did the relearn multiple times and I even waited the full hour for one of the tries.

There's only two things to plug in... The harness on the throttle body itself and the plug on the hose running from the air intake to the throttle body.

I greatly appreciate you getting back to me. I have been at this all day...ALL day.

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
962 Posts
From personal experience, I can say that the electrical connectors that they use can be a real [email protected]# to plug in. There have been several times that I plugged something back in on my Patriot and it didn't work, only to find out that it wasn't plugged in tight enough or the right way, or whatever. If it were me, I'd double check the plug, just to be absolutely sure.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From personal experience, I can say that the electrical connectors that they use can be a real [email protected]# to plug in. There have been several times that I plugged something back in on my Patriot and it didn't work, only to find out that it wasn't plugged in tight enough or the right way, or whatever. If it were me, I'd double check the plug, just to be absolutely sure.
My neighbor stopped by and noticed the harness was loose. The little red locking mechanism wouldn't click in place. I finally got it to lock but it did not solve the problem.

From all the research I've done over the last 24 hours everyone else's red light goes OFF after they install a new throttle body. It may take a couple of seconds but it eventually goes off. Mine came on. It just seems like the system is not recognizing the new one or its a bum part.

I contacted the place I bought the throttle body from to see about sending me a new one. Already had to call off from work one night so hopefully they get back to me asap.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Did you do the relearn since double checking the harness?

·
Super Moderator
5,658 Posts
Yep. A couple of times.

Where can I locate the wiring diagram for the throttle body?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rockstar! Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok... Frustrated beyond belief I called my local Jeep dealer today. I gave them the part number of the TB I was trying to install and apparently...it's an older TB that they don't even sell anymore since they have apparently made several changes to the TB over the years.

So... I bit the bullet and bought the newest one from the dealer, came home, mounted it, and I will deal with the wiring tomorrow morning when I get home from work.

Oh... I've sent 2 emails so far this week to the mopar shop I bought the first one from online. No response. I just sent a third one asking for a refund since I am within my 5 days of receiving the part. Something tells me...I'm SOL.

For now... Sleep. Been a long night of work and dealing with this mess this morning.

Thanks for everyone's input so far. Once I get it all wired up and tested... I'll post the results. I can't stand when people don't follow up. Lots of posts ending with..."did it work for you?!." "Bueller..."

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
962 Posts
Ask you CC company for a refund. I did that in a similar situation and had no problem getting my money back.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Just hung up with the place I bought the first throttle body through and they told me flat out... "It's an electrical part, we can't take it back".

Just got screwed out of $250 + shipping.

So... If anyone is looking for a factory throttle body part number...04891735AD. Let me know...I'll cut you one hell of a deal!

·
Registered
325 Posts
That's shitty. It's also why one of the first things I asked was if you were sure it was the right part number.

Hope you find a buyer.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Did the 2nd throttle body fix the dash lights?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's shitty. It's also why one of the first things I asked was if you were sure it was the right part number.

Hope you find a buyer.
It's the right part just an outdated one...? That's according to the local dealership.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok...

New throttle body installed, wired up, relearn done, red lightning bolt gone, cleared the codes, check engine light gone, and then took it for a test drive. Purrs like a kitten.

And then...

2 miles in both lights returned.
I pulled over and did a relearn... Red lightning bolt disappeared.
Got home, erased the codes, check engine light disappeared.

Took it on another test drive... 2-3 miles in...same thing... the lights returned.

Thing is it's running great.

I'm at a loss.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I found the post about resetting your ECM thinking maybe that would help. I then I took it for the 4th test drive.

I didn't make it to the end of the block without the Jeep starting to stutter and all three problem lights coming on... Red lightning bolt, check engine, and traction control...

(insert explicit language here)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just got home from the dealer...

Apparently I bent a pin on the connector when plugging it back in. Without some sort of mirror or removing the throttle body to look in there I would have never known. No lights illuminated on my way home. We'll see if they stay off.

Thanks for all the input. You guys were extremely helpful.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts