Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-
I just purchased a base model 2017 Patriot with 60k miles. I am enjoying the return to my gen-X roots (manual transmission, manual door locks, roll up windows!).

Last weekend I successfully performed a no-tool, no modification camper conversion with an actual full-size mattress inside the car… I will write it up and post some pictures soon.

I have ordered a new stereo and have some interesting ideas about wiring in custom wireless charging pads and mounts for a gps and phone… and have grander ideas about installing a plex server (Having collected 9,000ish CD’s over the last 30 years, I don’t like paying for a subscription or relying on cell signal for music).

I will also be exploring bicycle racks ideas, especially for larger cargo bikes (I have a disabled 7-year-old child who loves being a co-pilot).

I am looking forward to hearing opinions and suggestions as the projects unfold.

cheers

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
9,467 Posts
I just purchased a base model 2017 Patriot with 60k miles. I am enjoying the return to my gen-X roots (manual transmission, manual door locks, roll up windows!).
Yay-Rah-Rah!!! That's what a Jeep should be. BTW, I'd leave off the GPS and the wireless stuff. Maybe, just maybe, I could allow a CB. After all the real WW2 Jeeps had 2-way radios.

Welcome to you!

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
2,388 Posts
Maybe get a radio with a USB port or SD card reader. Load up a card, thumb drive, or portable hard drive. I used to have a radio with a card reader and loved it. Now I have a 10" android head unit and just stream Pandora. Thankfully I won a lifetime free account with Pandora a few years ago. I stream it to my Cardo comm unit in my motorcycle helmet too when I'm riding.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Welcome in! but also...

I am enjoying the return to my gen-X roots (manual transmission, manual door locks, roll up windows!).

-----------------------------------------------

wiring in custom wireless charging pads and mounts for a gps and phone… and have grander ideas about installing a plex server
Seems almost like opposites doesn't it? :)

I don't know what radio you've ordered but if you have one that supports Android Auto or Apple Carplay (depending which phone ecosystem you've arrived at) then that sort of takes care of all this without clutter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the comments!

While I understand the suggestions on SD cards and Android Auto/Apple play music systems, there are 2 problems that I have found "unacceptably difficult". The first is "updates" to internet connected, app-based systems that suddenly render the music/navigation/communications systems inoperable.

The second problem: when I have thousands of CDs on a SD card, I have a hard time choosing, so I end up listening to the same 20 or 30 CDs. On the other hand, a good music server will allow me to decide: "play stuff similar to Black Sabath" or "make a playlist that flows naturally between 'Rooster' by Alice in Chains and ends with 'Folsom Prison Blues' by Johnny Cash"- and I end up discovering bands that I didn't even know I had in my collection... all without an internet connection!

Anyway, I will share more on all that in other posts as I start to "mod the pat" but it comes down to this: While one can prune a tree with a Swiss-army pocketknife saw, the job will be done better and faster with a quality saw made for pruning trees.

cheers!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts