Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased the Jeep Tuesday (11/29/22) and when I got home from the dealership, I came inside did a few things and then took some stuff out to the jeep (that I literally just purchased) and it made this loud clicking noise for several seconds when I opened the drivers door. It sounds like it may be coming from behind the dash. It has done it at least 7 times since then (12/3/22). Any idea what it is or the cost to fix it? (Mileage on 2016 Jeep Patriot High Altitude - 66,500).

If you own this same car, when did you notice costly problems beginning?

· Administrator
8,769 Posts
Hi nicole, welcome to the site.

If the clicking sounds like it's coming from behind the dash on the passenger side it's often an actuator on the HVAC unit.

There are three of them, one that controls the mixing doors that set the temperature, one for the doors that select which vents are used, and the last opens and closes the re-circulation door for outside or inside only air. They are all the same part, and are used on the Patriot, Jeep Compass to 2017, and the Dodge Caliber.

The cost of the part isn't high (around $20-$30 for aftermarket on Amazon, etc. or around $50 for OEM Jeep), but due to their location they can be somewhat challenging to remove and install.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi nicole, welcome to the site.

If the clicking sounds like it's coming from behind the dash on the passenger side it's often an actuator on the HVAC unit.

There are three of them, one that controls the mixing doors that set the temperature, one for the doors that select which vents are used, and the last opens and closes the re-circulation door for outside or inside only air. They are all the same part, and are used on the Patriot, Jeep Compass to 2017, and the Dodge Caliber.

The cost of the part isn't high (around $20-$30 for aftermarket on Amazon, etc. or around $50 for OEM Jeep), but due to their location they can be somewhat challenging to remove and install.
The quick, loud clicking comes from drivers side, would that still be my issue? The dealership will be fixing it. Do you own a Patriot?

· Administrator
8,769 Posts
Yes, I have 2010 Patriot.

If the clicking noise is on the drivers side, then it may be coming from under the hood. If so, it may be due to the plastic gears in the throttle body being stripped and slipping.

This is a common problem in these vehicles, it happened to mine as well.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I have 2010 Patriot.

If the clicking noise is on the drivers side, then it may be coming from under the hood. If so, it may be due to the plastic gears in the throttle body being stripped and slipping.

This is a common problem in these vehicles, it happened to mine as well.
Oh goodness, is that something serious? What was the cost for this?

· Administrator
8,769 Posts
Oh goodness, is that something serious? What was the cost for this?
It can get to be a problem. In my case it started going into limp mode where it wouldn't run over 30 mph. Usually you'll start seeing a light on the dash come on that looks like a lightning bolt inside parenthesis, if that makes sense.

Speedometer Trip computer Odometer Vehicle Tachometer

The part cost varies, from $50 for an aftermarket part to $175+ for Jeep OEM.

The install isn't difficult but does take some time. Several people here have DIY'd it and not all are professional mechanics.

Also, I thought about what you said about it being more on the drivers side, and if sounds like it's coming from under the radio towards the drivers side that's where the temperature door actuator is.

This video shows it:

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It can get to be a problem. In my case it started going into limp mode where it wouldn't run over 30 mph. Usually you'll start seeing a light on the dash come on that looks like a lightning bolt inside parenthesis, if that makes sense.

View attachment 97766

The part cost varies, from $50 for an aftermarket part to $175+ for Jeep OEM.

The install isn't difficult but does take some time. Several people here have DIY'd it and not all are professional mechanics.

Also, I thought about what you said about it being more on the drivers side, and if sounds like it's coming from under the radio towards the drivers side that's where the temperature door actuator is.

This video shows it:
Thanks!

· Unsponsored Baja racer
4,949 Posts
We all have Patriots here, it's why we come to the site. If the clicking sounds like a quiet buzzing or something, it may be something normal, but if it's loud enough to hear over normal everyday life, I'd agree something may be wearing out.

· Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
2,532 Posts
Obviously I can't hear how loud the sound is that you're hearing, but by the way you describe it, it sounds perfectly normal. Several seconds, to a few minutes after you shut the vehicle off, all 3 of the HVAC actuators fully close. If you sit inside for a few minutes after you shut it off, you will hear this. Then, when you're about to go again, you open the door to get in, and a few seconds after, all of the actuators will at first, fully open, then they will return to the position they should be at, determined by where you have the HVAC controls set. You will definitely hear this, and it is perfectly normal. However, if you hear a loud clicking, then one (or more) of the actuators is having a problem. If that's the case, the following steps can help determine which actuator is having issues:

With the vehicle on, but not running, fan and radio off (quiet as possible inside), rotate the temperature knob back and forth fully. Start at one side and turn it all the way to the other in about a second. Let it sit for about 5 or so seconds, then turn the knob the other way. Doing that, you should hear the temperature blend door moving. Then, do the same thing with the positional knob. Again, you should hear the doors moving. Then, press the recirculate button several times, pausing for about 5 - 10 seconds between presses. You should hear the recirculate door moving.

If one of them is making a loud clicking, then that one is having a problem and should be investigated.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Obviously I can't hear how loud the sound is that you're hearing, but by the way you describe it, it sounds perfectly normal. Several seconds, to a few minutes after you shut the vehicle off, all 3 of the HVAC actuators fully close. If you sit inside for a few minutes after you shut it off, you will hear this. Then, when you're about to go again, you open the door to get in, and a few seconds after, all of the actuators will at first, fully open, then they will return to the position they should be at, determined by where you have the HVAC controls set. You will definitely hear this, and it is perfectly normal. However, if you hear a loud clicking, then one (or more) of the actuators is having a problem. If that's the case, the following steps can help determine which actuator is having issues:

With the vehicle on, but not running, fan and radio off (quiet as possible inside), rotate the temperature knob back and forth fully. Start at one side and turn it all the way to the other in about a second. Let it sit for about 5 or so seconds, then turn the knob the other way. Doing that, you should hear the temperature blend door moving. Then, do the same thing with the positional knob. Again, you should hear the doors moving. Then, press the recirculate button several times, pausing for about 5 - 10 seconds between presses. You should hear the recirculate door moving.

If one of them is making a loud clicking, then that one is having a problem and should be investigated.
It is definitely very loud and not normal. Would the actuator also mess with the temperature of the air/heat that is blowing out? I have noticed a few times when I have it set on heat, that cold air is coming out. I turn the temperature knob towards cold air and it comes out hot, then I can turn the knob back to heat and it works fine.

· Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
2,532 Posts
Yes, you need to get the blend door actuator replaced.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts