Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2013 2.0 FWD Sport and recently hit the 1k mark on a trip from here in Chicago down to Louisville. Here's what I think so far!

I love it.

At first it was tough getting used to the CVT. It's my first one and accelerating down the road but having the rpms stay at 2k is a weird feeling. Once I got past the fact that I wasn't going to win races or beat cars off the line I just began to drive it as it was designed, an economical SUV.

It's got plenty of room for the family, my wife, child, dog and I. Next on the list would be a Pet Barrier for the rear. The carseat fits well in the back, on both sides and the middle. Most vehicles I have to move the seat all the way back to stretch my legs. I've done this on my Ranger, the Honda and my work Malibu and G6. With the Patriot I am still comfortable without it all the way back. I actually drive with it a few clicks before fully back. I was able to load up the back with our bags, the stroller, a playpen, and some other small items. In the Honda Fit I would be unable to see out the rear window. Here in the Jeep, I still had full view of the window behind me.

The view. Between sitting in the Compass at the dealer and then the Patriot, I realized I enjoyed the more boxy looks and lookout of the Patriot. The view of the road is more entertaining. I feel like I am driving a larger SUV with more of a presence then a car based SUV. If that makes any sense. I enjoy it. The mirrors work really well and I don't have any noticeable blind spots.

Ergonomics are great. Everything is reachable right where you need it. The controls are easy, not trying to be something it isn't. The way a vehicle should be. The seats leave a little more to be desired. I can get pads.

Road noise!!! One of very few qualms I have with this vehicle. The long stints of freeway driving with speeds of 70-75 mph produced a lot of it. There is this high pitched whistle coming from God knows where and it absolutely drives me nuts. I'm thinking its coming from a window or something. But what's odd, it only happens when wind is hitting me at a certain angle. If I draft behind a T T it won't happen. As soon as I hit the open wind again it's there.

Do you think window vents will cure this? I'm sure it's because this thing has the drag coefficient of a house.

All in all, very happy with this new addition to the family.

Oh yeah, been averaging about 24 MPG as well. ~275 per tank. Not bad on this crappy winter blend gas. The Honda averages 27 for me but that is driving it hard.

I'm happy. There you have it.

Some plans:

Plasti dip the steal wheels
Some sort of LED set up to create halo lights

That's it for now.

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
Glad you are happy with your Jeep!

The whistle could be coming from the A/C vents in the dash. There are a few threads on the forum about it, but I don't know a whole lot on the subject (I have no whistle)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AutoGuide App

·
Premium Member
4,244 Posts
Also check your mirror housings...if a little flash is left on them from the moulding process that can whistle and be real hard to track down.

The thing to do is take a roll of duct tape, the grey, cloth one not the real metal duct tape and tape off a single point you feel might be the culprit. If that isn't it, remove the tape and try again somewhere else.

Repeat as needed. If it is coming from outside eventually you will find it.
Start with the mirror housings as they are culprits a lot of the time. Next up is the windshield, its trim work.

After that you are on your own. Sometimes it helps to have a passenger to help track down which side or back to front as well. Have them sit in all seats too, not just the front.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
275 a tank isn't 24 MPG is it? 13.5 gallon tank correct?
Most I can seem to put in a few miles after the light comes on is 11 gal. And that is topping it off to the brim. Maybe my gauge is slightly off and I actually have 2 and half more gallons in there. Either way my mileage based on how many gallons I throw in computes to it. Today I filled up again and averaged 26 MPGs :)

·
718 Posts
Also check your mirror housings...if a little flash is left on them from the moulding process that can whistle and be real hard to track down.

The thing to do is take a roll of duct tape, the grey, cloth one not the real metal duct tape and tape off a single point you feel might be the culprit. If that isn't it, remove the tape and try again somewhere else.

Repeat as needed. If it is coming from outside eventually you will find it.
Start with the mirror housings as they are culprits a lot of the time. Next up is the windshield, its trim work.

After that you are on your own. Sometimes it helps to have a passenger to help track down which side or back to front as well. Have them sit in all seats too, not just the front.
So it's not normal!

My mirror whistles like a S.O.A.B. (but only in the summer when my window is open :D) I always meant to ask about it here...

So look for left over plastic from the mold?

·
Premium Member
4,244 Posts
So it's not normal!

My mirror whistles like a S.O.A.B. (but only in the summer when my window is open :D) I always meant to ask about it here...

So look for left over plastic from the mold?
Or a seam or a corner or a...
Just move tape around it until the whistle goes away.

Then fix whatever is under the tape.

My previous contract with Hydro involved running around with trucks picking up old fridges and freezers on a buy back program. One of our trucks had a mirror whistle that drove everyone nuts including the guy that could drive around with wipers on hours after it stopped raining.

Turned out that the two pieces, front and back, of the housing that held the glass weren't snapped together fully along one side. I forget if it was the inboard or outboard side. You could slide a business card in one side but not the other. So millimetre difference but that, once plugged up, was it.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I brought my vehicle to the dealership and they had it for a week and couldn't figure it out. Then I went to another dealership and he replaced the moulding in the rear passenger door and it solved the whistling problem. Even though it sounded as if the whistling was coming from the front.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts