1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
109 Posts
It's an FM transmitter so it won't be as good as the uConnect.

More than likely you'll have some signal interference as your going over an air station.

If you're looking to just stream audio from your phone I'd personally use an AUX cable instead of going through the trouble with the bluetooth transmitter. But if you're looking for actual bluetooth connectivity, give it a shot and let usk now how it is as i'm sure if it does work people would rather pay the < $100 as compared to the $600

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also wanted the hands free functionality for my phone. With a cable running to the aux port I would have to grab the phone and remove the cable every time someone called. I ordered it today so I should have a good review next weekend

·
Registered
10 Posts
Go with the MyGIG!

I would seriously go with the mygig 430N for the 600 bucks. It's a steal. aftermarket bluetooth sucks. I've tried them all. The 430N also has Garmin Nav. which handsdown is the best IMO. I have the 730N that I bought used for $1000 and it's good but it has Harmon Nav which truly sucks. I would love to have the 430N but it won't mount in the 2010 from what I'm told. Parrot BT is really one of the worst IMO. There is just no way to have that factory integrated look if you go with anything other than the mygig. Also, by the time you buy the harnesses, pay for the install, etc. It's much easier and looks much nicer to go with the mygig units. they are very capable units. You won't be disappointed if you go with factory..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know the factory system would be best but I just don't want to spend $600. I actually received this little gadget yesterday. I only spent about 10 minutes playing with it but so far I am satisfied.
I made a call to my wife using the bluetooth hands free function and was happy with the results. I could hear her loud and clear through my speakers and on her end she said she could hear me very well. She could tell I was on a hands free device but I was still coming through very good. It also paused my music when making a call and resumed my music after the call ended
Next I tried the audio streaming from my phone through the fm transmitter. The sound was good but not great. I listen to a lot of talk radio so I don't need perfect sound quality. There was a little bit of static when the audio volume was low. I tried a few different stations and they were all pretty much the same. You do have the option of running a cable from the device to the stereo which would cut out all the static but the mic being a wired mic I didn't want any more wires hanging around. I'm not happy with the sound from the stock speakers with or without this device. When I upgrade my speakers I think I will be a little happier with the sound quality but its not bad now.

Overall I think this product will work for my needs. I wanted a device to let me listen to audio from my phone over my car speakers without having to jerk a power cord and aux cord out of my phone every time I needed to answer a call. This does the trick, I just wish the fm transmitter was a little more powerful. At this point I would probably give it 4 out of 5 stars

I'll post some pictures latter this weekend after I use this thing a little more

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm a bit confused. I just bought a new 2011 and it has the 430 Media Center, but when I press the phone or voice command button, it pops up a message that says something to the effect of "Uconnect not available". I've since heard that there's an add-on option that I have to buy. I thought the 430 had Uconnect. :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm a bit confused. I just bought a new 2011 and it has the 430 Media Center, but when I press the phone or voice command button, it pops up a message that says something to the effect of "Uconnect not available". I've since heard that there's an add-on option that I have to buy. I thought the 430 had Uconnect. :(
all radios have the u-connect buttons, but not all cars have the supporting equipment. you need the u-connect kit that the OP was getting raped on by paying $600. it is a $200 kit at dealer cost, and i think $237 MSRP. install it yourself, and take it to the dealer to get it programmed, which will cost another $50-100 depending on how much labor they charge you. for $300, you have factory working bluetooth and voice commands for the radio.

for $600 i hope they used lube before they crammed it up your a**

·
Registered
429 Posts
with $500 you can get a Mygig clon at amazon, with ipod interface, bluetooth and GPS, and looks very close to mygig.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
all radios have the u-connect buttons, but not all cars have the supporting equipment. you need the u-connect kit that the OP was getting raped on by paying $600. it is a $200 kit at dealer cost, and i think $237 MSRP. install it yourself, and take it to the dealer to get it programmed, which will cost another $50-100 depending on how much labor they charge you. for $300, you have factory working bluetooth and voice commands for the radio.

for $600 i hope they used lube before they crammed it up your a**
The Base Media Center 130 does not have the uconnect or voice command buttons.

·
Geek
993 Posts
gawd this is sooo confusing, lol
It sure can be. I gave up on getting my 130 w/ Uconnect to actually work with my Ipod or my phone, so I ordered a JVC head unit(KW-AVX740) on Amazon w/ CD/DVD/Bluetooth. With all of the adapters and cables(CANBUS, Antenna, steering wheel controls), it ran me about 550.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Really the best option if you want bluetooth connectivity is to get an aftermarket head unit. You can spend as little as a $100 to get a basic CD player with built in bluetooth. However if you are looking for something a little more high end, you can buy a dvd touch screen double din from $300-up and get something better than MyGig with significantly better audio quality as well. A reasonably priced, good quality aftermarket DVD unit with bluetooth that won't look stupid in your Jeep will run you about $350.

Then again, many people seem bent on keeping the interior looking 100% factory.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
It sure can be. I gave up on getting my 130 w/ Uconnect to actually work with my Ipod or my phone, so I ordered a JVC head unit(KW-AVX740) on Amazon w/ CD/DVD/Bluetooth. With all of the adapters and cables(CANBUS, Antenna, steering wheel controls), it ran me about 550.
Before I could finish my post!;) See what I am saying here people! This person has it figured out!

·
Registered
13 Posts
bluetooth connectivity

my radio has the button but i didnt want to spend the $600 dollars either so i opted to spend $15 dollars for a bluetooth mirror that clamps on my original rearview mirror. i havent figured out how to get it through the car speakers but it does work and even has a bluetooth ear piece for your bluetooth setup. the volume is not loud enough in my opinion but thats just the mirror by itself.:D

·
Geek
993 Posts
my radio has the button but i didnt want to spend the $600 dollars either so i opted to spend $15 dollars for a bluetooth mirror that clamps on my original rearview mirror. i havent figured out how to get it through the car speakers but it does work and even has a bluetooth ear piece for your bluetooth setup. the volume is not loud enough in my opinion but thats just the mirror by itself.:D
You may run into feedback issues if you pipe it through the stereo. I'm not saying you shouldn't try it, but I ran into that issue with the handsfree kit I rigged through the stereo in my Durango. I ended up finding a brand new Moto BT HF kit on craigslist for 30 bucks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts