Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i am building the rack below (img) and I want to make sure that I wire everything up the best way possible. What do you guys prefer something that will constantly be subject to the elements? That said I live in southern California but I do have a house in the mountains(Big Bear) that gets snow in the winter months. I have everything ready to wire but I am a doing once right type of guy so want to know what you would do. I was thinking to solder the connections but is there something better?
Audio equipment Automotive tire Circuit component Gas Technology

· Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
2,535 Posts
There really is nothing better than soldering. When I'm connecting wires that will be exposed to the elements, I slide on some heat-shrink tubing, solder the wires together, then add a thin coat of silicone before sliding the heat-shrink over the connection and hitting it with a head gun. Overkill? Maybe, but I've never had problems with my connections corroding.

Since you are connecting lights up to a roof rack, you might want to add a water-resistant quick disconnect like one of theses: https://smile.amazon.com/LanHong-Wa...wire+connector+water+resistant,aps,104&sr=8-2

That will make is easy to unplug everything if you need to in the future.

· Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There really is nothing better than soldering. When I'm connecting wires that will be exposed to the elements, I slide on some heat-shrink tubing, solder the wires together, then add a thin coat of silicone before sliding the heat-shrink over the connection and hitting it with a head gun. Overkill? Maybe, but I've never had problems with my connections corroding.

Since you are connecting lights up to a roof rack, you might want to add a water-resistant quick disconnect like one of theses: https://smile.amazon.com/LanHong-Waterproof-Electrical-Connector-Marine/dp/B01F54PFLE/ref=sr_1_2?crid=4BHP6FAX6WER&keywords=quick+disconnect+wire+connector+water+resistant&qid=1668183566&sprefix=quick+disconnect+wire+connector+water+resistant,aps,104&sr=8-2

That will make is easy to unplug everything if you need to in the future.
This is exactly what I wanted to hear. Silicone doesn't interfere with the electrical current? And do you use any old silicone that can be found on Amazon? As for the quick disconnect, I can't find a reason why I would want to disconnect it. And even if I did want to remove the rack for some reason, I bought the Rough Country 8gang switch pannel so disconnection is a breeze.

· Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
2,535 Posts
No, silicone does not interfere. Many wires actually come with silicone insulation. It is a very good insulator. I usually just use any old clear 100$ silicone, but any color will work. After hitting the heat-shrink with a heat gun, just wipe off any squeeze-out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts