Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have a 2011 Patriot Latitude, 2.4L, 4WD. I need a new axle seal for the right front CV shaft, where the shaft enters the transaxle case. The part number I keep coming up with online is 05189989AA, but that seal is way too small (unless it is bagged wrong). The seal I need is 50.0 mm ID, 70.0 MM OD. The only part numbers on this one are 25Z_50_70_16.1 or _18.1 (can't tell for sure if it is a 6 or 8). I have driven myself crazy hunting online - everything keeps coming back to the part number that I received, that is far too small.

Can anyone help, please?

Thanks,
Regan

·
Registered
727 Posts
I see 2 PN's. 05189989AA is for manual trans and 5189835AA is for CVT.

50x70x16.1 is the seal's measurements in mm(ID, OD, thickness)so it should be corresponding to what you stated that you need.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much! I knew that the numbers printed on the seal were its physical dimensions, so the lack of any other part number puzzled me. I searched for hours on all the Mopar factory parts sites, looking specifically at the manual transmissions, and keep coming up with the same 05189989AA number on all of them. I am beginning to think that the wrong seal has been put in the bag, but it is factory sealed.

Did you find a site that specified the dimensions of the 05189989AA seal?

Thanks again for your help, I sincerely appreciate it!
Regan

·
Registered
727 Posts
I haven't seen any dimensions. What leads you to believe the seal is the incorrect size? Have you pulled the axle out yet and compared? 50mm is 2" in diameter, that sounds about right for the axle seal area.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had had the axle out before because the CV joint was leaking. The new seal, in the OEM Chrysler bag, looked way smaller than I remembered, but since it was the right number in an OEM bag I thought it must be right. So I took the whole right front drive line apart to pull the axle, and sure enough the new seal is at least 1/3 smaller than the existing seal. I have the axle shaft and the old seal pulled out, and the 50x70 numbers came off the existing seal, and were confirmed by measuring the shaft and bore.

I'm going to drive into town today with both seals to see if the local dealer can sort it out.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had had the axle out before because the CV joint was leaking. The new seal, in the OEM Chrysler bag, looked way smaller than I remembered, but since it was the right number in an OEM bag I thought it must be right. So I took the whole right front drive line apart to pull the axle, and sure enough the new seal is at least 1/3 smaller than the existing seal. I have the axle shaft and the old seal pulled out, and the 50x70 numbers came off the existing seal, and were confirmed by measuring the shaft and bore.

I'm going to drive into town today with both seals to see if the local dealer can sort it out.

Thanks!
im having the same problem but i also know that the part number murphy gave you is wrong.....what did you come up with

·
Administrator
7,885 Posts
The part number for the 50x70 seal (item #5 below) is 68005263AA

·
Administrator
7,885 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts