Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy All,

I recently encountered a problem that has had me scouring the web for answers. After searching previously posted threads on several popular forums, I feel it may be best just to post for myself, so here it is...

I recently had to replace 2 tires on my AWD 2007 Patriot due to abnormal wear from an alignment issue. Upon having the tires replaced and the alignment fixed, my vehicle now "pulls" and/or "jumps" left or right randomly. I first noticed while banking a turn on the highway and suddenly feeling my car jerk to the left. Since then I haven't done any highway driving, but the vehicle still jumps/pulls when I drive around town. Rotating the new and old tires to front and back didn't solve the issues. I went back to both the tire place and the shop that did my alignment and they didn't give me much of an indication that anything was seriously wrong.

What I'm wondering is, has anyone else ever encountered this problem? Does it subside? Or is this pulling/jumping a sign that something is being damaged in my drivetrain? I would prefer not to drop the money for 2 new tires, primarily because I am planning on trading my vehicle in the near future. However, if it continues to pull/jump like it is, the trade value could be significantly affected.

My apologies for the novel...I appreciate any insight!

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
how worn are the two tires that were not replaced? awd vehicles should have the same sized tire put on, and they shouldn't bee too far apart in wear as it will cause issues with the awd system.

I would guess that it has something to do with the tires and or the allignment since that is what was worked on. try a different shop for a diagnostic? even the dealer can be reasonable if you say, I have this issue, and I just need to know what's causing it.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Does this only happen at speeds above 35 mph? If not, try experimenting with turning the ESP OFF and see if it stops. I doubt however that it could be the tires. Tires are measured in 32nds of an inch in wear (in the USA that is). Most new tires have 10-12/32nds of tread, and need to be replaced @ 2/32nds (that's when the wear bars between the treads are even with the tread). So I don't buy the notion that the system can't handle an 8-10/32nd of an inch of difference, or that the ABS would be that sensitive to such a small difference. I would be more inclined to think something is worn in the front end, and the severely worn (old) front tires or bad alignment was masking this seemingly new issue somehow.

I would put both new tires on the back (only because the rears are probably due to be rotated front anyway), then make sure all tires are inflated to the same pressure (32psi for 16" rims and 35 psi for the 17" rims). Turn ESP full off by pressing and holding the ESP OFF button until the message shows up in the odometer and go for a test drive. Just know that above 35 mph, ESP gets turned back on by the computer.

If it still does the "jumping" feeling, have the front ball joints, lower control arm bushings and tie-rod ends thoroughly inspected.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate the help yall. After having it looked at closer it seems that the front ball joints are wore out on both sides. When the original alignment was done, one of the tie rods was replaced. I'm wondering if they just overlooked the ball joints since there was a clear problem w/ a tie rod. Going to being reading the threads related to this issue and see what I can find. Also going to see about getting some sort of explanation from the folks who missed it the first time.

Thanks again. Glad I came here for help.

·
Registered
241 Posts
jpete, I had the opposite problem, my almost-bald tires would go "wubba wubba wubba" at certain speeds and vibrate like a cheap motel bed. But after I got new tires the "wubba wubba" went away.

Also, unrelated to the tires, my ball joints (like many others) were toast at 50k miles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.